Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

sploo
premature adulation
2,176 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011
West Yorkshire, UK
May 09, 2016 04:12 |  #496

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18000560 (external link)
I was going to ask "Witherby, Stanley, Union, Swan or Jennings?" Then I saw UK so, Sorby, Ilse, Taylor? etc.. :)

Narex and Irwin, but Stanley and Record for hand planes ;-)a

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18000589 (external link)
Used to we embraced RAW for it's malleability right? Thinking correctly then that jpg was 'fixed' with little latitude.
Are you all suggesting now that this has changed and a jpg is more forgiving now? And/or that this new camera
is just plain better at internal processing?

The raw images have a higher bit depth than the JPEG, and given that it contains all the "original" data you should in theory be able to produce something as good as the raw in post (potentially better, given the processing power of a PC).

The tones in the JPEG will be mapped from the raw using the picture profile, and if that's not to your taste you may find that manipulating the JPEG produces some posterisation (i.e. visible bands in tone, as the fine gradations are lost in areas where the tonal range has been squashed in the raw->JPEG conversion).

But - if the JPEG engine is really good, the tonal mapping is to your taste, and the noise reduction that's also being applied is acceptable, then you may find the JPEG so good that there'd be little point playing with the raw.

The raw data really comes in useful when you want to pull back an apparently blown out highlight (e.g. a white sky in a JPEG, where there is actually data in the raw) or, for example, a really bad choice of white balance (which can sometimes have caused enough "damage" to the JPEG that the colour data you want is lost - but all present in the raw).

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

sponsored links
PeterAlex7
156 posts
Joined Dec 2015
May 09, 2016 05:17 |  #497

Can anyone post some pics with 135L?:-)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
May 09, 2016 05:29 as a reply to sploo's post |  #498

Thank you very much Sploo. I just need to get the nerve up to shoot in jpg.
Is there an established picture profile yet for the 1DXii? I suppose that will take some time to mete out.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
May 09, 2016 06:35 |  #499

I was able to find and buy 4 brand new Stanley 118 low angle block planes... the best block plane, as far as I'm concerned. These in addition to several of the older models of the 118. They went out of production in the mid 80's, I think. Of course I have the standard No. 5 Stanley jack plane, but I love the Lie Nielsen planes: they are works of art. I have a few of them.

I have a nice collection.... but not enough of them to sell and buy a 1D X Mark ll. ;)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
May 09, 2016 08:55 |  #500

zman wrote in post #18000559 (external link)
Have you tried switching to a different grid style like 3x3 for example?

Frankchn and Zman

Thanks for posting. I went to that window and engaged the viewfinder, Looks to be one of the changes they have made with the original 1Dx software. Looks like the other in for Live view set ups......so if definitely different v/s the original 1Dx.

Now that I know what they have done going to go look in owners manual and see if there is further clarifications.

I only see one way to set it in the viewfinder display but they also let you engage the electronic level at same time, which I like a lot better.....so pretty cool..........Frankchn​...thank you for posting...Big help

just tried to call CPS...wont be in for another 2 hrs

Thanks guys. Keep posting. going out this week to play.

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
May 09, 2016 08:56 |  #501

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18000560 (external link)
I was going to ask "Witherby, Stanley, Union, Swan or Jennings?" Then I saw UK so, Sorby, Ilse, Taylor? etc.. :)

The jpeg engines and how far they've come has truly taken me off guard even more than the low light low noise abilities. I'm on record on this forum dozens of times with my feeling that the Camera will never be able to do it as well as "we" can. I may be out of touch.

Robert Sorby, Marples, Iles and ... a drawer full of J B Addis & Sons (marked '10 Prize Medals') :-D

Yes, the jpeg engines have really come good.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
May 09, 2016 08:56 |  #502

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18000589 (external link)
Used to we embraced RAW for it's malleability right? Thinking correctly then that jpg was 'fixed' with little latitude.
Are you all suggesting now that this has changed and a jpg is more forgiving now? And/or that this new camera
is just plain better at internal processing?

Internal processing IMO.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by umphotography.
May 09, 2016 09:17 |  #503

I think it all depends on the software you have. With LR its basically set up for RAW files. Its why so many of us use it. JPEG files are really super good with this 1Dx2. As a matter of fact for sports and wildlife im probably going to shoot JPEG. Definitely for sports I will.

Got to go back to Basics 101 and ask ourselves WHY we shoot raw

5 -6 yrs ago sensors were not nearly as good. 10 yrs ago when LR came our sensors were actually CRAP compared to what they are now

We shot raw because
1- we could recover highlights to some extent at the clipping edges
2- We could lighten and bring out shadows
3- We could control amount of sharpening and contrast we needed v/s JPEG preset parameters

Most import to everyone was

Color,color,color,colo​r and then Color

Raw got you away from JPEG paramaters and let you get to K system for better control

Then LR came into play with all of the above and allowed you to manipulate a file Non Destructively to do a lot of the above

Today

1-Primary reasons to shoot raw is all the software is designed to manipulate raw files
2- color, color, color,color and color

I think sensor improvement is soooooo good that its difficult to blow out the highlights ( unless you dont know what you are doing ) and canon just address darks and shadows with this sensor...Looks like we can pull up to 5 stops w/o killing the file.......so thats camera and raw software to the rescue

Frankly, I really like where everything is at right now. You can shoot JPEG and get great files and sports people can deliver content immediately. If you get it right in camera I see no problem shooting Jpeg files even for weddings. Problems for weddings is Mixed lighting and extreme light changes from one side of a room to the other......So Raw definitely is a huge help.....we dont need speed for weddings..but we do need to be able to control the mixed light and thats where raw will save your butt

I Like where we are at with sensor development and software. I remember when everyone thought to 20D and the original 1D was heaven.........Crapola compared to what we have today

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

Dankata
Cream of the Crop
5,136 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Mexico
May 09, 2016 09:20 |  #504

PeterAlex7 wrote in post #18000840 (external link)
Can anyone post some pics with 135L?:-)

Very soon I will be posting tons of pics with the 135L :lol:

-Daniel-
1DXII | 5DIII | 135L | Sigma 35 | 24-70L |17-40L | Sigma 150-600C | 600EX-RT
T1i |85 1.8 | 18-55 | Sigma 10mm f/2.8 Fish Eye | Yongnuo YN-622C| Raynox DCR-250
Facebook (external link) Flickr  (external link)500px (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,176 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011
West Yorkshire, UK
May 09, 2016 10:04 |  #505

umphotography wrote in post #18000994 (external link)
We shot raw because
1- we could recover highlights to some extent at the clipping edges
2- We could lighten and bring out shadows
3- We could control amount of sharpening and contrast we needed v/s JPEG preset parameters

I think sensor improvement is soooooo good that its difficult to blow out the highlights ( unless you dont know what you are doing ) and canon just address darks and shadows with this sensor...Looks like we can pull up to 5 stops w/o killing the file.......so thats camera and raw software to the rescue...

I'm being a pedant but: highlight clipping is really only about the shooter's exposure settings, not so much about the camera/sensor. If (with the exposure you set) some areas of a capture are clipped, they're clipped.

Any apparent highlight recovery when manipulating a raw in post is going to be down to the fact the camera's histogram is based on the JPEG rendering (or JPEG thumbnail in the raw if shooting raw only). The JPEG will be affected by your current picture style, and won't be totally representative of what you have in the raw capture - hence the apparent "recovery" of highlight headroom.

Agreed on the rest of your points though: significant shadow improvements here (i.e. less noise, which always becomes more apparent in darker pixels), and obviously the usefulness of being able to take control of sharpening (and noise reduction) when processing raw vs JPEG.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
May 09, 2016 11:15 |  #506

The Digital Picture has published noise and resolution test results for the 1DX2:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com ...News-Post.aspx?News=18219 (external link)

flickr (external link)

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by wallstreetoneil.
May 09, 2016 12:14 |  #507

This new video by Tony Northrup is pretty telling and confirms what others have already shown - but also brings in the 5DSR to the mix

1) low ISO - 1Dx II has more DR than the D5
2) high ISO - D5 is noticeable cleaner than the 1DX
3) 5DSR's very high megapixel along with NR can be used to create cleaner end pictures at many ISOs
4) 1DX II is the best camera so far that he has tested for hit capturing pictures of moving subjects

I thought the 5DSR's inclusion in this was very useful.

https://youtu.be/XzUXz​asjc4Y (external link)

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

bps
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Rhode Island
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by bps.
May 09, 2016 12:28 |  #508

umphotography wrote in post #18000994 (external link)
...I think sensor improvement is soooooo good that its difficult to blow out the highlights ( unless you dont know what you are doing ) and canon just address darks and shadows with this sensor...Looks like we can pull up to 5 stops w/o killing the file.......so thats camera and raw software to the rescue

Frankly, I really like where everything is at right now. You can shoot JPEG and get great files and sports people can deliver content immediately. If you get it right in camera I see no problem shooting Jpeg files even for weddings. Problems for weddings is Mixed lighting and extreme light changes from one side of a room to the other......So Raw definitely is a huge help.....we dont need speed for weddings..but we do need to be able to control the mixed light and thats where raw will save your butt

I Like where we are at with sensor development and software. I remember when everyone thought to 20D and the original 1D was heaven.........Crapola compared to what we have today

After reading this, at the end of your post, I was expecting a comment about breaking off your Johnson! :-P

My Gear List

bps
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Rhode Island
May 09, 2016 12:50 |  #509

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #18001171 (external link)
This new video by Tony Northrup is pretty telling and confirms what others have already shown - but also brings in the 5DSR to the mix

1) low ISO - 1Dx II has more DR than the D5
2) high ISO - D5 is noticeable cleaner than the 1DX
3) 5DSR's very high megapixel along with NR can be used to create cleaner end pictures at many ISOs
4) 1DX II is the best camera so far that he has tested for hit capturing pictures of moving subjects

I thought the 5DSR's inclusion in this was very useful.

https://youtu.be/XzUXz​asjc4Y (external link)

Thank you for posting this link -- much appreciated!

Humbly-spoken, I am so happy with my decision to go with my new line-up of camera bodies, the Canon 1D X Mark II and the Canon 5DsR. I feel like this combination gives me the perfect tool kit in which to draw from. I really feel like I finally have every angle covered!

Now, I must continue to be patient. I am on a non-photography related trip and I cannot take these bad boys out in the field until May 26th. You have no idea how hard it is to read all of these wonderful posts and not pick up my new 1DX2 and see what its like for myself. Until then, I will savor each and every one of the posts in this thread!

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

aehric
Joined Jul 2015
Asheville, NC, USA
May 09, 2016 13:03 |  #510

I know this is a predominately photography focused forum, it's in the name after all, but if anyone is interested I shot a quick commercial for a client the other day with the 1DXII. I shot everything in slow mo mode and manipulated the speeds in post just to try it out. :-)

The image quality on this camera is astounding. It's night and day compared to the 5D3 to my eyes.

https://youtu.be/Jzt-6JqPg48 (external link)

Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 6D, EOS 1D X Mark II | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 8-15mm f/4L USM | Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT

sponsored links

929,771 views & 12004 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.