Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

don1163
Goldmember
Joined May 2015
Washford, Somerset/ UK
May 09, 2016 13:17 |  #511

aehric wrote in post #18001224 (external link)
I know this is a predominately photography focused forum, it's in the name after all, but if anyone is interested I shot a quick commercial for a client the other day with the 1DXII. I shot everything in slow mo mode and manipulated the speeds in post just to try it out. :-)

The image quality on this camera is astounding. It's night and day compared to the 5D3 to my eyes.

https://youtu.be/Jzt-6JqPg48 (external link)

I think video quality discussion on the 1DXII would be very useful. I for one would be interested to hear about it.

1DX, 500L f4, 70-200L f2.8II, 100L f2.8 macro ,16-35 f4, 1.4xIII, Metz 64-AF1

sponsored links
bps
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,604 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Rhode Island
May 09, 2016 13:28 |  #512

aehric wrote in post #18001224 (external link)
I know this is a predominately photography focused forum, it's in the name after all, but if anyone is interested I shot a quick commercial for a client the other day with the 1DXII. I shot everything in slow mo mode and manipulated the speeds in post just to try it out. :-)

The image quality on this camera is astounding. It's night and day compared to the 5D3 to my eyes.

https://youtu.be/Jzt-6JqPg48 (external link)

Love it! Thank you for sharing. The video IQ is outstanding!

Bryan

My Gear List

Voaky999
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2010
Edmonton,AB
May 09, 2016 14:50 |  #513

Got mine last Friday, shot a tennis oriented fundraiser over the weekend. Not a venue to test shadow recovery or ISO but I felt the 1Dx II was a little quicker on focus than the 1Dx classic. Didn't improve my efficiency much, 8.3% posted in 2016, 8.2% posted in 2015 and 8.1% posted in 2014. Here a couple.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7324/26588975590_0cd0d29694_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7104/26256435684_727f7086ac_b.jpg

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

fish_shooter
Joined May 2010
Alaska
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by fish_shooter. 4 edits done in total.
May 09, 2016 15:00 |  #514

Interesting discussion on jpegs in this thread. I want to point out, however, that SOOC jpegs may lack important metadata other than copyright and creator info (provided that you have inputted this into your camera) such as titles and descriptions that one can add (e.g., using Lightroom). As well, they will not have your watermark on them. So I see them useful for sending to those you trust - e.g., those paying you to take the photos (many sports and news photogs). I would not post them openly on the internet - it is possible to manual add some metadata on some sites - but the data will be on the site and not the images per se (embedded) that I can tell.

http://www.salmonograp​hy.com/external link

bps
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,604 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Rhode Island
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by bps. 2 edits done in total.
May 09, 2016 15:31 |  #515

fish_shooter wrote in post #18001359 (external link)
Interesting discussion on jpegs in this thread. I want to point out, however, that jpegs may lack important metadata other than copyright and creator info (provided that you have inputted this into your camera) such as titles and descriptions. As well, they will not have your watermark on them. So I see them useful for sending to those you trust - e.g., those paying you to take the photos (many sports and news photogs). I would not post them openly on the internet - it is possible to manual add some metadata on some sites - but the data will be on the site and not the images per se (embedded) that I can tell.

Hi Fish,

I might be misunderstanding you, but reading your post leaves me confused. Metadata like Titles, Descriptions, watermarks, etc are embedded via the software you use to import and export your images. (i.e. Photo Mechanic, Lightroom, Capture One Pro, etc.) It has nothing to do with whether you're shooting JPEG or RAW.

Or were you referring to something different?

Thanks,
Bryan

My Gear List

fish_shooter
Joined May 2010
Alaska
May 09, 2016 15:46 |  #516

bps wrote in post #18001407 (external link)
Hi Fish,

I might be misunderstanding you, but reading your post leaves me confused. Metadata like Titles, Descriptions, watermarks, etc are embedded via the software you use to import and export your images. (i.e. Photo Mechanic, Lightroom, Capture One Pro, etc.) It has nothing to do with whether you're shooting JPEG or RAW.

Or were you referring to something different?

Thanks,
Bryan

True, but when one creates a jpeg using Lightroom (etc.) one can optionally add these metadata whereas with the camera generated jpeg this is not an option (I can see this as being an option in the future with new camera models).

I hope this clarifies things.

Tom

tonyxcom
Joined Jul 2008
Vallejo CA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by tonyxcom.
May 09, 2016 15:53 as a reply to fish_shooter's post |  #517

There is no functional difference to the EXIF data written to JPEG or RAW files in camera. I am not sure why you think so.

1DXmkII / 7DmkII / 100-400mkII / 70-200mkII / 24-70mkI / 24-70F4L / 16-35mkI / 50ART / 40STM / 50STM / 1.4xIII

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 09, 2016 16:01 |  #518

Time to package up the old girl and find her a new home. :lol: She served me well and helped me capture many priceless memories.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Misc/For-sale/i-TzqzVXT/0/XL/20160509-Canon%20EOS-1D%20X%20Mark%20II-1DX20239-XL.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Misc/For-sale/i-wtNsNhf/0/XL/20160509-Canon%20EOS-1D%20X%20Mark%20II-1DX20237-XL.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Misc/For-sale/i-RzdGmXF/0/XL/20160509-Canon%20EOS-1D%20X%20Mark%20II-1DX20238-XL.jpg

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

fish_shooter
Joined May 2010
Alaska
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by fish_shooter.
May 09, 2016 16:03 |  #519

tonyxcom wrote in post #18001434 (external link)
There is no functional difference to the EXIF data written to JPEG or RAW files in camera. I am not sure why you think so.

True (no functional difference), but if one wants to put images on the web with metadata one needs to edit them in (i.e. add them) and this is best done to raw images in software such as Lightroom - yup one could possibly add them to a jpeg but then re-saving the jpeg might reduce IQ and one is still going through this additional step, i.e., it is NOT SOOC!
Tom.

tonyxcom
Joined Jul 2008
Vallejo CA
May 09, 2016 16:07 as a reply to fish_shooter's post |  #520

SPECIFICALLY, what data are you referring too?

Again, in camera, all camera/lens/exposure/m​ode etc information is appended to the jpeg. Including the ratings you add in camera.

Give me an example of something that the camera appends to the RAW that it doesn't the jpeg?

1DXmkII / 7DmkII / 100-400mkII / 70-200mkII / 24-70mkI / 24-70F4L / 16-35mkI / 50ART / 40STM / 50STM / 1.4xIII

Twotan
Joined Feb 2009
Fullerton, CA
May 09, 2016 16:09 |  #521

A few more. The first one is 4000 ISO and the second is 25,600 ISO.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

fish_shooter
Joined May 2010
Alaska
May 09, 2016 16:13 |  #522

tonyxcom wrote in post #18001458 (external link)
SPECIFICALLY, what data are you referring too?

Again, in camera, all camera/lens/exposure/m​ode etc information is appended to the jpeg. Including the ratings you add in camera.

Give me an example of something that the camera appends to the RAW that it doesn't the jpeg?

As mentioned above - title and caption. As well there are keywords and a bunch of IPTC blank spaces that need to be filled in (see Lightroom library module for the complete list! - it is rather long - it also includes things like model and property release info).
Tom

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
May 09, 2016 16:16 |  #523

jwcdds wrote in post #18001447 (external link)
Time to package up the old girl and find her a new home. :lol: She served me well and helped me capture many priceless memories.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

You're prepared to sell this with less than 15000 actuations? :cry: Geez, I couldn't do that. I couldn't sell below ten times that at least maybe 20 times that and even then it's not close to the first shutter replacement.

For a machine like this at the price point it sells at this is just dealer showroom mileage ... hell I've got friends who have now gotten to their third shutter on 1D4's and 1D3's. :-(

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

tonyxcom
Joined Jul 2008
Vallejo CA
May 09, 2016 16:21 |  #524

fish_shooter wrote in post #18001469 (external link)
As mentioned above - title and caption. As well there are keywords and a bunch of IPTC blank spaces that need to be filled in (see Lightroom library module for the complete list! - it is rather long - it also includes things like model and property release info).
Tom

The camera doesn't even write those to the RAW. That is where you have us all confused. You said jpegs lack metadata that RAW files have which simply isn't true.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 09, 2016 16:35 |  #525

LincsRP wrote in post #18001476 (external link)
You're prepared to sell this with less than 15000 actuations? :cry: Geez, I couldn't do that. I couldn't sell below ten times that at least maybe 20 times that and even then it's not close to the first shutter replacement.

For a machine like this at the price point it sells at this is just dealer showroom mileage ... hell I've got friends who have now gotten to their third shutter on 1D4's and 1D3's. :-(

This was my 2nd 1DX. The first one I sold last year.

But I have no use to have the extra 1DX sitting around. Already have the 7D2 and my old 7D is used for my day job.

More camera bodies than I have arms for.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links

883,732 views & 11814 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.