Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,623 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
May 09, 2016 16:38 |  #526

sploo wrote in post #18000817 (external link)
Narex and Irwin,

Czech and Chinese (Sheffield if they are old enough to be actual Marples, which Irwin bought and ruined. Current ones are Chinese)

I have some of the older Sheffield Marples Blue chips, and a discontinued variety I can't recall the name of that had more durable "hammer friendly." handles. (yellow clear, instead of the opaque blue)
I've compared them to some that I got later that are Chinese.

Interestingly the Chinese have better finishing than the Sheffield, flatter bottom's less obvious machining marks, but the steel simply not as good at taking or holding an edge. (But these are about 5 year old Chinese (or more) and I know that Chinese steel has been constantly improving. )

If you can find the Sheffield ones, they are worth taking to time to flatten and hone up to be sure.

Now the Narex, is simply one of the best buys in current chisels.

Wait, what's this thread about?

// sorry!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
fish_shooter
Joined May 2010
Alaska
May 09, 2016 16:49 |  #527

tonyxcom wrote in post #18001481 (external link)
The camera doesn't even write those to the RAW. That is where you have us all confused. You said jpegs lack metadata that RAW files have which simply isn't true.

Of course raws do not include these important metadata!!!! Did I say this? One has to ADD them oneself. One uses a program such as Lightroom to do so. The POINT is that there is a BUNCH of more work to do on images after pushing the shutter button that needs the aid of computer with software. This is work and it takes time. I often spend more time on this than post-processing. For example - I shoot pix of life forms that have scientific as well as common names. As well, there is a systematic hierarchy including things like Phylum, Class, Order, Family, and more that are important (at least for those trained in biology).

http://www.salmonograp​hy.com/external link

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
May 09, 2016 16:50 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #528

No problem I'm good with chisel talk....just take a pic of one with the Xii and all will be legal. I have swung a lignum vitae mallet a few thousand times....until I discovered the chainsaw blade for an electric grinder.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

fish_shooter
Joined May 2010
Alaska
May 09, 2016 16:53 |  #529

don1163 wrote in post #18001245 (external link)
I think video quality discussion on the 1DXII would be very useful. I for one would be interested to hear about it.

One of the Northrup vids shows that the 1dx2 has less rolling shutter effect compared to two other cameras - I do not recall which ones and do not have time to re-watch the vid (U-tube).
Tom

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
May 09, 2016 17:06 |  #530

I thought we were talking wood planes..... but it turns out, there was only a small reference to them.

Chisels: I have a set of those clear yellow handle Marples plus a few old Stanley's... before they started making homeowner stuff. I have 3 or 4 wooden handle chisels. I don't recall the brand names.

Anyway, I keep all mine hollow ground. It makes touching them up with a wet stone a cinch.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
9,953 posts
Joined Feb 2005
N.E.LINCOLNSHIRE UK.
May 09, 2016 17:11 |  #531

A fast flyer and a slow flyer as a birder im very happy with the camera so far apart from Low mp and loud shutter sound .

Rob.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htmexternal link

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
May 09, 2016 17:17 |  #532

Just got off the phone with CPS

Grid settings have completely changed from 1Dx1

You have to go to viewfinder display as earlier noted by Frankchn

Yellow Wrench, 2nd menu... Viewfinder display...show grid and show level

there is no more 3 options as there was with the 1Dx1. You cant set in same place

FYI

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
May 09, 2016 17:23 |  #533

Question to current 1Dx users

Flash exposure compensation shows in viewfinder when flash is on. I currently go to flash to adjust compensation. I know you can do it from Camera menu as well

is there a way to control flash compensation while looking through viewfinder by assigning it to a button when in AV Mode

I thought there was a way but I cant find it

back wheel changes shutter
top spin changes aperture in AV modes

do i need to go to back of flash or can you assign a button and do it from camera while looking in Viewfinder

Thanks in advance

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

zman
776 posts
Joined Oct 2006
USA
May 09, 2016 17:34 |  #534

umphotography wrote in post #18001556 (external link)
Just got off the phone with CPS

Grid settings have completely changed from 1Dx1

You have to go to viewfinder display as earlier noted by Frankchn

Yellow Wrench, 2nd menu... Viewfinder display...show grid and show level

there is no more 3 options as there was with the 1Dx1. You cant set in same place

FYI

Is there a way to change the viewfinder grid to 3x3?

tonyxcom
Joined Jul 2008
Vallejo CA
May 09, 2016 17:38 |  #535

fish_shooter wrote in post #18001512 (external link)
Of course raws do not include these important metadata!!!! Did I say this? One has to ADD them oneself. One uses a program such as Lightroom to do so. The POINT is that there is a BUNCH of more work to do on images after pushing the shutter button that needs the aid of computer with software.

You still aren't seeing why you had me and maybe others confused.

You said

fish_shooter wrote:
Interesting discussion on jpegs in this thread. I want to point out, however, that SOOC jpegs may lack important metadata other than copyright and creator info (provided that you have inputted this into your camera) such as titles and descriptions that one can add (e.g., using Lightroom). As well, they will not have your watermark on them.

What is confusing is this is no different than RAW images. So it is confusing that you were singling out JPEG images in this regard.

At any rate, I know what you mean now. RAW and JPEG images need 3rd party software to write titles and descriptions.

1DXmkII / 7DmkII / 100-400mkII / 70-200mkII / 24-70mkI / 24-70F4L / 16-35mkI / 50ART / 40STM / 50STM / 1.4xIII

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
May 09, 2016 17:43 |  #536

zman wrote in post #18001573 (external link)
Is there a way to change the viewfinder grid to 3x3?

He said NO

WYSIWYG---plus the new level

he said it is completely changed

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

fish_shooter
Joined May 2010
Alaska
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by fish_shooter.
May 09, 2016 17:46 |  #537

tonyxcom wrote in post #18001580 (external link)
You still aren't seeing why you had me and maybe others confused.

You said

What is confusing is this is no different than RAW images. So it is confusing that you were singling out JPEG images in this regard.

At any rate, I know what you mean now. RAW and JPEG images need 3rd party software to write titles and descriptions.

I edited the post from how it was originally posted. The point I was making is not that jpegs per se are bad but that SOOC jpegs are deficient in ways that I think are critical for general internet use (exceptions mentioned already). Everyone seems very excited by the high quality of 1Dx2 SOOC jpegs but to me they are almost useless without metadata (see above for specifics) and watermarking.

fish_shooter
Joined May 2010
Alaska
May 09, 2016 17:50 |  #538

GyRob wrote in post #18001548 (external link)
A fast flyer and a slow flyer as a birder im very happy with the camera so far apart from Low mp and loud shutter sound .

Rob.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by GyRob in
./showthread.php?p=180​01548&i=i166332311
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by GyRob in
./showthread.php?p=180​01548&i=i230375004
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Did the owl hear you?
Very interesting position.

tonyxcom
Joined Jul 2008
Vallejo CA
May 09, 2016 17:52 |  #539

fish_shooter wrote in post #18001594 (external link)
Everyone seems very excited by the high quality of 1Dx2 SOOC jpegs but to me they are almost useless without metadata (see above for specifics) and watermarking.

What makes you think that people who choose to shoot JPEG's have to use them SOOC? Why can't they edit them in Lightroom same as they do RAW files?

1DXmkII / 7DmkII / 100-400mkII / 70-200mkII / 24-70mkI / 24-70F4L / 16-35mkI / 50ART / 40STM / 50STM / 1.4xIII

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Scott_online. 2 edits done in total.
May 09, 2016 18:01 |  #540

umphotography wrote in post #18001562 (external link)
Question to current 1Dx users

Flash exposure compensation shows in viewfinder when flash is on. I currently go to flash to adjust compensation. I know you can do it from Camera menu as well

is there a way to control flash compensation while looking through viewfinder by assigning it to a button when in AV Mode

I thought there was a way but I cant find it

back wheel changes shutter
top spin changes aperture in AV modes

do i need to go to back of flash or can you assign a button and do it from camera while looking in Viewfinder

Thanks in advance

Press the bottom of the three buttons on the top left of the camera and spin the back wheel.

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

829,627 views & 11633 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.