Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 09, 2016 23:02 |  #556

RodS57 wrote in post #18001711 (external link)
Sliding sideways here for a moment. Sorry.

The second picture of your camera box (last picture) reminded me of something. When I bought my 7D mk2 there was a promotion on. All I had to do was cut the bar code from the box and send it in. In return I would get a canon branded jacket. I put the box on my flat bed scanner and sent that picture in. I was informed that was not sufficient. It had to be the bar code cut from the box. I refused to cut up the box so no jacket. End of story.

Rod

Hahaha, must preserve the box!

I think I cut mine out (either the 7D2 or the 5D3) for something... I just remember what it was for.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 09, 2016 23:05 |  #557

bps wrote in post #18001871 (external link)
My free battery arrived today too. Stoked!

I'm leaving in a couple of hours for my cameraless non-photorgaphy trip. I only had time to take the 1DX2 out in the backyard for 10 mins to test the camera's AF system on some birds in the backyard. Having never used a 1-series before, it will take me some time to re-program my brain where some of the buttons are now...but wow is this a smoking hot camera!! I can't believe how good the new metering system is and out of 294 pictures, I only missed focus one time. Unbelievable!

I'm looking forward to giving this thing a serious workout when I get home.

Cheers,
Bryan

Ut oh. You have 1 out-of-focus photo out of 294. That's unacceptable. Time for an exchange or refund.

:-P

Congrats on the new toy and enjoy! I use the 1D body as dumb-bells so that I might stay somewhat fit.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

bps
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,603 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Rhode Island
May 09, 2016 23:25 |  #558

fish_shooter wrote in post #18001359 (external link)
Interesting discussion on jpegs in this thread. I want to point out, however, that SOOC jpegs may lack important metadata other than copyright and creator info (provided that you have inputted this into your camera) such as titles and descriptions that one can add (e.g., using Lightroom). As well, they will not have your watermark on them. So I see them useful for sending to those you trust - e.g., those paying you to take the photos (many sports and news photogs). I would not post them openly on the internet - it is possible to manual add some metadata on some sites - but the data will be on the site and not the images per se (embedded) that I can tell.

bps wrote in post #18001407 (external link)
Hi Fish,

I might be misunderstanding you, but reading your post leaves me confused. Metadata like Titles, Descriptions, watermarks, etc are embedded via the software you use to import and export your images. (i.e. Photo Mechanic, Lightroom, Capture One Pro, etc.) It has nothing to do with whether you're shooting JPEG or RAW.

Or were you referring to something different?

Thanks,
Bryan

fish_shooter wrote in post #18001424 (external link)
True, but when one creates a jpeg using Lightroom (etc.) one can optionally add these metadata whereas with the camera generated jpeg this is not an option (I can see this as being an option in the future with new camera models).

I hope this clarifies things.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I see where you're coming from, but unless a person is using the Canon WFT-E8A file transmitter to upload their images straight to the internet, you have to download your images from your flash cards into a DAM/editing program of some sort. No matter if they are JPEGs or RAW, as I'm sure you know, you can add your metadata at that time. There is no reduction in quality to your image unless you choose to export it with lesser quality. Heck, you can even use PhotoMechanic to pull the images off the card and add oodles of metadata...and never even open the file with another program before sending it off to where it needs to go. This is how many sports and news/media photographers work. It's also how I work in one subset area of photography that I work in. I literally need to offload my images, cull through 60-80 images to get rid of any out of focus shots, and start transferring the JPEGS to a flash drive in less than 3 mins. If I don't, then I'll miss the next rotation and my next paying customer.

For now, outside of the photo info that's already included, the only personal metadata you can add to a photo in camera is Author and Copyright. And I don't think that will ever change as it would be too cumbersome to input any other IPTC fields...and honestly, that is what programs like PhotoMechanic are for.

In all of my other photography work, I shoot in RAW. But anyhow, just wanted to point out that you can easily work in JPEG and there is nothing to fear with regards to losing IQ when you add your metadata to the file. You don't lose a thing.

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

fish_shooter
Joined May 2010
Alaska
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by fish_shooter.
May 10, 2016 00:54 |  #559

bps wrote in post #18001904 (external link)
Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I see where you're coming from, but unless a person is using the Canon WFT-E8A file transmitter to upload their images straight to the internet, you have to download your images from your flash cards into a DAM/editing program of some sort. No matter if they are JPEGs or RAW, as I'm sure you know, you can add your metadata at that time. There is no reduction in quality to your image unless you choose to export it with lesser quality. Heck, you can even use PhotoMechanic to pull the images off the card and add oodles of metadata...and never even open the file with another program before sending it off to where it needs to go. This is how many sports and news/media photographers work. It's also how I work in one subset area of photography that I work in. I literally need to offload my images, cull through 60-80 images to get rid of any out of focus shots, and start transferring the JPEGS to a flash drive in less than 3 mins. If I don't, then I'll miss the next rotation and my next paying customer.

For now, outside of the photo info that's already included, the only personal metadata you can add to a photo in camera is Author and Copyright. And I don't think that will ever change as it would be too cumbersome to input any other IPTC fields...and honestly, that is what programs like PhotoMechanic are for.

In all of my other photography work, I shoot in RAW. But anyhow, just wanted to point out that you can easily work in JPEG and there is nothing to fear with regards to losing IQ when you add your metadata to the file. You don't lose a thing.

Cheers,
Bryan

I have and use both PM and LR. I am new to PM but have been using LR since version 1. I am now using PM to cull images before importing into LR. I first followed the instructional vids provided by PM that have you ingest the files. The resulting work ends up being in sidecar files such as those which are optional in LR. I am not sure if any of the metadata are actually incorporated into original jpegs or not as I only work with raw files. If not then one has to keep the sidecar file alongside the jpeg to conserve the data. I am not keen on having to have these sidecars so I do not opt for them in LR.

http://www.salmonograp​hy.com/external link

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 10, 2016 02:35 |  #560

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Family/My-Precious-Abigail/i-PjktGXT/0/XL/20160508-Canon%20EOS-1D%20X%20Mark%20II-1DX20116-XL.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Flowers/i-h7sNLNd/0/XL/20160508-Canon%20EOS-1D%20X%20Mark%20II-1DX20133-XL.jpg

Julian

robamy
882 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Chepachet, RI
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by robamy.
May 10, 2016 04:15 |  #561

Loving this camera

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7368/26856730351_cec779828a_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GVeL​g2] (external link)In hot pursuit (external link) by A & R Photography (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7353/26929681185_74cb0256f8_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/H2FE​12] (external link)Mama Duck (external link) by A & R Photography (external link), on Flickr

Here is so video if interested on YouTube

https://youtu.be/xFs5Y​Xdv7Cs (external link)

Or Vimeo if you prefer

https://vimeo.com/1658​07240 (external link)

flickr https://www.flickr.com​/photos/robamyphotos/ (external link)
YouTube https://www.youtube.co​m .../UCXHzc4eU2AfHUCuGW​31GNdA (external link)
Vimeo https://vimeo.com/roba​myvideos (external link)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Joined Apr 2008
May 10, 2016 07:05 |  #562

Dynamic range is not as great as people think it seems..

the canon 5dsr has better DR!

However, the 1dx2 has better DR then d5

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=XzUXzasjc4Y (external link)

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickrexternal link

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
May 10, 2016 07:26 |  #563

jonneymendoza wrote in post #18002087 (external link)
Dynamic range is not as great as people think it seems..

the canon 5dsr has better DR!

However, the 1dx2 has better DR then d5

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=XzUXzasjc4Y (external link)

The DPReview tests suggest otherwise (re. the 5DSR):

http://www.dpreview.co​m ...1d-x-mark-ii-studio-tests (external link)

I use both bodies and while the 5DSR was a huge improvement compared to the 5D3, the 1DX2 files are more pliable.

flickr (external link)

cwphoto
Go ahead, make my day
Joined Oct 2005
Kellyville, Baulkham Hills, Cumberland, NSW, Australia
May 10, 2016 07:32 |  #564

aehric wrote in post #17996509 (external link)
Yeah, if I'm being honest, I couldn't give a single flying rip what test charts say, or only how well the camera handles dynamic range, and if an image is slightly grainy at ISO 25600 when zoomed into 400%, etc etc. It's all just nitpicking at that point. I love the technical side more than most. It's neat stuff and I obsess too. But I also understand in my day to day life that stuff just doesn't really matter.

I'm only concerned with real world results. And in that regard it is unquestionably stellar. :-)

+1, quoted for truth.

EOS-1D X Mark II| EOS 5D Mark IV | EOS 80D | EOS-1V HS
L: 14/2.8 II | 17/4 | 24/1.4 II | 24/3.5 II | 35/1.4 II | 50/1.2 | 85/1.2 II | 100/2.8 Macro IS | 135/2 | 180/3.5 Macro | 200/2.8 II | 300/2.8 IS II | 400/2.8 IS II | 500/4 IS II | 600/4 IS II | 8-15/4 Fisheye | 11-24/4 | 16-35/2.8 III | 24-70/2.8 II | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS II | 200-400/4 IS 1.4x
Sundry: 600EX II-RT | 1.4x III | 2x III | 12 II | 25 II | OC-E4

cwphoto
Go ahead, make my day
Joined Oct 2005
Kellyville, Baulkham Hills, Cumberland, NSW, Australia
May 10, 2016 07:38 |  #565

Gadget-Guy wrote in post #17997976 (external link)
Few from my first outing with the MKII

1/
QUOTED IMAGE

2/
QUOTED IMAGE

3/
QUOTED IMAGE

4/
QUOTED IMAGE

Liking your bike shots. :-)

EOS-1D X Mark II| EOS 5D Mark IV | EOS 80D | EOS-1V HS
L: 14/2.8 II | 17/4 | 24/1.4 II | 24/3.5 II | 35/1.4 II | 50/1.2 | 85/1.2 II | 100/2.8 Macro IS | 135/2 | 180/3.5 Macro | 200/2.8 II | 300/2.8 IS II | 400/2.8 IS II | 500/4 IS II | 600/4 IS II | 8-15/4 Fisheye | 11-24/4 | 16-35/2.8 III | 24-70/2.8 II | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS II | 200-400/4 IS 1.4x
Sundry: 600EX II-RT | 1.4x III | 2x III | 12 II | 25 II | OC-E4

don1163
Goldmember
Joined May 2015
Washford, Somerset/ UK
May 10, 2016 07:55 |  #566

umphotography wrote in post #18001556 (external link)
Just got off the phone with CPS

Grid settings have completely changed from 1Dx1

You have to go to viewfinder display as earlier noted by Frankchn

Yellow Wrench, 2nd menu... Viewfinder display...show grid and show level

there is no more 3 options as there was with the 1Dx1. You cant set in same place

FYI

I would imagine all the difficulties you are having with your new camera could be quickly sorted out by referring to the manual that came with it.
Just a thought....

1DX, 500L f4, 70-200L f2.8II, 100L f2.8 macro ,16-35 f4, 1.4xIII, Metz 64-AF1

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
May 10, 2016 08:49 |  #567

don1163 wrote in post #18002128 (external link)
I would imagine all the difficulties you are having with your new camera could be quickly sorted out by referring to the manual that came with it.
Just a thought....

What problems ??

They changed the viewfinder process and set up on the body. Guess im not the only one. They told me they are getting a TON of calls about it.

And I have read the manual and looked for it in several places. First thing I do. But thanks for your input.

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
Joined Jun 2009
San Jose, CA
May 10, 2016 09:11 |  #568

aehric wrote in post #18001691 (external link)
The spare battery from my original order just arrived from Adorama. If anyone is still waiting on theirs I'd guess it shouldn't be too long now.

Mine is out for delivery now.

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.comexternal link

bps
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,603 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Rhode Island
May 10, 2016 09:17 |  #569

don1163 wrote in post #18002128 (external link)
Just a thought....

One of the nice things about being a CPS member is world-class support. You can call them with any question and they are glad to help. It's a nice service, especially for busy full-time professionals (like Mike) who have a lot of things to tend to.

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

bps
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,603 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Rhode Island
May 10, 2016 09:21 |  #570

One of the nice things about the free broadband-speed wifi on Jet Blue is I can read this thread and surf for even more 1DX2 content during my 6-hr flight. The bad thing is I can't really use my 1DX2 for 15 more days. Must. Hang. In. There. :-x

Bryan

My Gear List

sponsored links

831,077 views & 11640 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.