Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 10 May 2016 (Tuesday) 21:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Is this considered "converging lines"?

atsilverstein
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2015
NYC Metro
May 10, 2016 21:07 |  #1

I need to submit a photo showing converging lines leading towards a subject for my course.. i.e. like railroad tracks. I have this photo I really like with some interesting lines in it, but I'm not sure if it qualifies.

Thoughts?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,049 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.
May 10, 2016 21:22 |  #2

Not the most obvious example of converging lines! Yes, they converge in the photo, but they are not far from parallel.

Here is an example of parallel lines

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Principles/IMG_9985%20perspective_zpszbrjwnhu.jpg

and converging lines
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Principles/IMG_9985_zpsn0tqepa7.jpg

and now you have to come up with an example of your own, and not cheat by using this example.

Living in NYC this bit of homework is so simply done as to not be worthy of much thought by you.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2015
NYC Metro
May 10, 2016 21:28 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #3

Haha, ok I promise I won't steal ;-)a

Yes but I actually live in NJ.. not as many converging lines.. :D

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

Matthew ­ Patrick
395 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New England
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Matthew Patrick. 2 edits done in total.
May 10, 2016 21:29 |  #4

I don't think this would qualify. Fortunately there are lots of converging lines in New York since it's laid out on a grid. It's nice to have the main subject at the end of the lines so the lines draw the viewer towards the main subject like a gate or arch at the end of a street. Cemeteries and parks might be a good place to start.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,970 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
May 10, 2016 22:08 |  #5

The topic last week for World Wide Photo Week was leading lines. You might get some ideas there.

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​458720

I think your shot does use an effect that's close to converging lines, but it's not a classic example. It may be too subtle for this assignment. Where the people lean into the reflecting wall, their bodies and the reflections of them make a very narrow arrowhead shape that points toward (and ends at) their heads.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
May 10, 2016 22:18 |  #6

I believe an example like this would be more what they had in mind:

HOSTED PHOTO

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2015
NYC Metro
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by atsilverstein.
May 10, 2016 22:26 |  #7

OK.. I think I found one.

Like this?

HOSTED PHOTO

- William Ernest Henley

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2015
NYC Metro
May 10, 2016 22:42 |  #8

Although ideally I'll get something better.. there were a bunch of neon lights in the room casting weird colors..

- William Ernest Henley

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
May 10, 2016 22:42 |  #9

look here http://www.fotoflock.c​om ...w-to-use-converging-lines (external link)

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
May 10, 2016 22:43 |  #10

atsilverstein wrote in post #18003082 (external link)

Like this?
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by atsilverstein in
./showthread.php?p=180​03082&i=i131677993
forum: General Photography Talk

Hmmmmmmm...........one could take the out-of-the-box approach and argue that the sign maker has "created" several converging lines. You'd have to push your case, but I'd guarantee yours would be a VERY unique approach. :p

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2015
NYC Metro
May 10, 2016 23:18 |  #11

OK.. now I think I got it..

converging lines..

HOSTED PHOTO

- William Ernest Henley

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
May 10, 2016 23:30 as a reply to atsilverstein's post |  #12

more like it. Here are some of my shots as examples

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from itsallart's gallery.
[GALLERYIMAGE]: id not found

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2015
NYC Metro
May 10, 2016 23:54 |  #13

itsallart wrote in post #18003151 (external link)
more like it. Here are some of my shots as examples
[GALLERYIMAGE]: source forum filtered or no permissionGallery photo:
posted originally in

Beautiful work :-) Thanks for the examples.

Almost 1am and I'm about to keel over. Till tomorrow.

- William Ernest Henley

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Dan Marchant.
May 11, 2016 00:52 |  #14

atsilverstein wrote in post #18003082 (external link)

Like this?
./showthread.php?p=180​03082&i=i131677993

atsilverstein wrote in post #18003131 (external link)

converging lines..
./showthread.php?p=180​03131&i=i35854102

I certainly wouldn't consider either of these to be good examples. You need an image where all/the majority/the major lines converge and are the dominant element in the image. In the first image there may be some converging lines but they don't really stand out amongst the general chaos of shapes and lines. In the second image the vast majority of the major lines are parallel. Any convergence is minimal and completely overpowered by the strong parallels.

For good examples of convergence take a wide angle lens a crouch down in the middle of a road (with people on lookout obviously) or go to the bottom of a sky scraper and look up....

IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-EvJt0NqbMPo/VemENyGk7cI/AAAAAAAAHo8/AtaSIDNwZnUo6t88IbbASGTzTaOFc_3CACCo/s800/DM852-2014-09-13-2493.jpg

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner. 2 edits done in total.
May 11, 2016 02:47 |  #15

atsilverstein wrote in post #18003131 (external link)

converging lines..
./showthread.php?p=180​03131&i=i35854102

Unfortunately, no, I am not seeing anything that would be considered converging lines there in that pic.

I think that perhaps you are not understanding exactly what artists and photographers mean when they say "converging lines".

Typically, when the term is used it is not referring to lines that actually converge. Rather, it is referring to lines that are parallel to each other, and therefor appear to converge due to the perspective from which they are photographed. Wilt demonstrated this truth very aptly in post #2. Renata illustrated it quite well with the first image in post #12. And Dan also illustrated it very well in post #14.

Think of lines that never come together in real life, because they are parallel to one another. But then think of positioning yourself at a place where the lines appear to make a "vee". This is what is most often meant when photographers say, "converging lines".

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

sponsored links

5,233 views & 28 likes for this thread
Is this considered "converging lines"?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.