Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk
Thread started 04 May 2016 (Wednesday) 06:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Umbrella questions

davholla
Joined Nov 2014
May 04, 2016 06:15 |  #1

This is an ant woodlouse, not a brilliant photo but unlike other woodlice they don't stay still.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7753/26195182433_c1587fc79f_n.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/FUMa​7r] (external link)EF7A7667Antwoodlouse (external link) by davholla2002 (external link), on Flickr

I lifted up a stone and they were in an ant colony and the light made them run like crazy.

I was wondering if I could have used an umbrella so that they were in the shade maybe something like this
https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...g_lh?_encoding=UTF8​&psc=1 (external link)

I also wondered if I could get another benefit by taping a slave flash to it and and using bounce flash. Has anyone tried this in the field?

A-PeeR
36 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Texas
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by A-PeeR.
May 04, 2016 07:23 |  #2

I see no reason it wouldn't work. A bit large for my purposes but should do the trick. When the subject allows for it, often early in the morning, I use small panel diffusers like this http://www.amazon.com ...r-Diffusion/dp/B00KN6X5E​Y (external link) to modify or redirect ambient light and/or flash. As for bouncing flash, yes it is a valid technique in the field and can be used to good effect for lifting shadows. Typically these techniques are limited to static subjects, still scenes, and/or sleeping/lethargic insects as it takes time to set things up and dial in the desired lighting angles and exposure levels.

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
May 11, 2016 03:54 |  #3

Not sure because the subject might not stay still unless it's in total darkness. You'd also want to get the umbrella close to the subject if you're bouncing a flash into it for the light source. Get it too far way and you'll might end up firing the flash at full power (slow recycle time and difficult to freeze motion due to the duration of the flash). You'd also more than likely come between the umbrella and the subject, so you'd end up blocking the flash.

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

davholla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2014
May 11, 2016 04:11 |  #4

Dalantech wrote in post #18003274 (external link)
Not sure because the subject might not stay still unless it's in total darkness. You'd also want to get the umbrella close to the subject if you're bouncing a flash into it for the light source. Get it too far way and you'll might end up firing the flash at full power (slow recycle time and difficult to freeze motion due to the duration of the flash). You'd also more than likely come between the umbrella and the subject, so you'd end up blocking the flash.

The umbrella is only going to be £5 so it is worth a test, by the way I was thinking of using as a secondary flash as back fill.

By the way, the subject is something that has also fascinated me sadly I have a very small garden and I don't have any L Niger colonies under stones nor space for any stones. If anyone has a large garden a few decorative stones will give you an opportunity.
There are surprisingly few photos of it on Flickr

1,856 views & 0 likes for this thread
Umbrella questions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.