Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
May 13, 2016 14:35 |  #661

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #18005733 (external link)
can someone tell me if the review picture to actual size and AF point is working - mine always goes to the center point and it is pissing me off - thanks

it seems to be magically working now - i must have screw up 100x in a row somehow - thank you

next one
- this is my first 1 Series
- the Flash Exposure Comp is in such a stupid place - i.e. it requires you to take your hand off of supporting the lens to access it on the left side of the camera
- i already figured out how to do it another way, but I wanted to ask if there are any bounce flash people out there, what is the best ergonomic way that you have found to do this
- it should really be where the exposure button is next to the ISO button because that button is completely useless - why anyone would use that button is beyond me

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

sponsored links
Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
Joined Jun 2009
San Jose, CA
May 13, 2016 14:38 |  #662

buddy4344 wrote in post #18005955 (external link)
can you find this at Adorama.com or did you have to call?

My understanding was that it was a phone order extra.

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.comexternal link

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
May 13, 2016 14:58 |  #663

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #18005956 (external link)
it seems to be magically working now - i must have screw up 100x in a row somehow - thank you

next one
- this is my first 1 Series
- the Flash Exposure Comp is in such a stupid place - i.e. it requires you to take your hand off of supporting the lens to access it on the left side of the camera
- i already figured out how to do it another way, but I wanted to ask if there are any bounce flash people out there, what is the best ergonomic way that you have found to do this
- it should really be where the exposure button is next to the ISO button because that button is completely useless - why anyone would use that button is beyond me

The flash exposure comp button is right where it should be thanks, on the flashgun itself. I never use the body to change the flash settings because when you swap flashguns like I do sometimes the flash is set to what I want and not the camera body. It's been like this on all my last 8 1-series bodies and that's just fine - just don't go stirring up a change of button placement thankyou :-P

:-D

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
May 13, 2016 15:10 |  #664

LincsRP wrote in post #18005980 (external link)
The flash exposure comp button is right where it should be thanks, on the flashgun itself. I never use the body to change the flash settings because when you swap flashguns like I do sometimes the flash is set to what I want and not the camera body. It's been like this on all my last 8 1-series bodies and that's just fine - just don't go stirring up a change of button placement thankyou :-P

since you don't use it, you shouldn't get a vote:-D

since you are an 8 x 1 series owner, do you use the button next to the ISO button? i can't think of a reason anyone - and thus is should be the FEC button like on 5 series

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
May 13, 2016 15:15 |  #665

few jpeps from this morning after the rain
- i did set the white and the black point for each image using the Shift + double click in LR short cut
- it seemed to give each image just a bit more punch
- used the fine detail picture style

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7255/26384946154_501c1d2002_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GcxK​fJ] (external link)May13 (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7323/26990440505_f959f2fcc9_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/H844​Cv] (external link)May13 (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

fish_shooter
Joined May 2010
Alaska
May 13, 2016 16:03 |  #666

LincsRP wrote in post #18005980 (external link)

I have used FEC during underwater photography with my 1Dx using a Seacam underwater strobe that is digital TTL enabled. I recall that the FEC control is on the housing. It worked rather well at reducing the flash exposure in some of my mostly ambient lighting shots.

http://www.salmonograp​hy.com/external link

dzaneh
Joined Aug 2009
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by dzaneh.
May 13, 2016 16:42 as a reply to post 18005952 |  #667

they throw in the battery if you call to place the order...not if you order online , you have to call...
I had placed an order online 1DxII premium kit /CFast card & reader...I was waiting for my order when I saw people saying they got a battery when they called in their order...
I cancelled my online order & then called an order in...sure enough they threw a battery in with it...

stuff

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
May 13, 2016 16:43 |  #668

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #18005994 (external link)
since you don't use it, you shouldn't get a vote:-D

since you are an 8 x 1 series owner, do you use the button next to the ISO button? i can't think of a reason anyone - and thus is should be the FEC button like on 5 series

No, I don't actually. I press the shutter lightly then turn the rear wheel for exposure comp. The reason I dedicate the flash settings to the flashgun itself is because I remotely fire flash on bodies with pocket wizards and use the bodies only as a slave. Some flashguns I own are equipped with cto gels which get swapped to bodies either in or out or dance studios so I set the flashgun before it's mounted to a body and with batteries onboard it keeps the settings.

;-)a

Steve

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
May 13, 2016 16:46 |  #669

fish_shooter wrote in post #18006043 (external link)
I have used FEC during underwater photography with my 1Dx using a Seacam underwater strobe that is digital TTL enabled. I recall that the FEC control is on the housing. It worked rather well at reducing the flash exposure in some of my mostly ambient lighting shots.

The only time I'm underwater is in the shower and my Wife has banned any cameras in the shower room ... :-(

Steve

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 13, 2016 16:50 |  #670

LincsRP wrote in post #18006086 (external link)
The only time I'm underwater is in the shower and my Wife has banned any cameras in the shower room ... :-(

Aw. Your wife is such a killjoy. :lol:

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
May 13, 2016 16:58 |  #671

jwcdds wrote in post #18006090 (external link)
Aw. Your wife is such a killjoy. :lol:

Steve

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
May 13, 2016 17:00 |  #672

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #18006001 (external link)
few jpeps from this morning after the rain
- i did set the white and the black point for each image using the Shift + double click in LR short cut
- it seemed to give each image just a bit more punch
- used the fine detail picture style

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GcxK​fJ] (external link)May13 (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/H844​Cv] (external link)May13 (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

Nice. Very nice indeed. I may decide to get one eventually. Just don't like to be forced into Cfast cards.

Steve

PeterAlex7
156 posts
Joined Dec 2015
May 13, 2016 19:34 |  #673

aehric wrote in post #18005845 (external link)
Quoting from The Digital Picture article on the camera. http://www.the-digital-picture.com ...non-EOS-1D-X-Mark-II.aspx (external link)

"Recording 4k at 59.94 fps or 50.00 fps requires 800Mbps of bandwidth and generates 5.7 GB of data per minute.

Recording 4k at 29.97 fps, 25.00 fps, or 23.98 fps requires 500Mbps of bandwidth and generates 3.5 GB of data per minute."

So the minimum you'll need is a card capable of 500Mbps, or roughly 62MB/s throughput for 24/30P, or up to 800Mbps, or ~100MB/s for 60P. That's for write speed.

According to Lexar's site You should, in theory, be able to record 4K at 60P with any card above a 700x rating for write speed (Important). (http://www.lexar.com ...1x150kbs-performance-mean (external link))

Note that most cards rate read speed, not write speed, in their XXXx designation. So going up to a minimum of around 1000x card would likely be safe in either CF or Cfast 2.0

Real world, this would mean any CFast 2.0 card on the market will work just fine for 4K60P capture, and higher end CF cards should work as well.

Thank you very much for your very detailed information.

Seems a lot of cash is a must for this :cry::-D

The ­ Limey
Joined Jan 2006
On my way to Wigan Pier
May 13, 2016 20:32 |  #674

LincsRP wrote in post #18006103 (external link)
Nice. Very nice indeed. I may decide to get one eventually. Just don't like to be forced into Cfast cards.

It's looking like you get card free will camera read 18.000 jpegs per card don't think you will need many cards ;-)a

7D,20D,1V.
24-105L.
17-85.4EF-S,50.1.4.

Gadget-Guy
706 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Wolverton,Bucks.UK
May 14, 2016 03:50 |  #675

Been out playing again with the 1DX MKII and 500mmf4 MKII

1/

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-rB8JtvV/0/X2/i-rB8JtvV-X2.jpg

2/

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-gZnHNzr/0/X2/i-gZnHNzr-X2.jpg

The equipment you'll leave at home will be the equipment you'll need the most!
Murphy's Law

sponsored links

881,037 views & 11813 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.