Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk
Thread started 11 May 2016 (Wednesday) 03:49
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Macro lenses with built in focusing lamps

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Dalantech.
May 11, 2016 03:49 |  #1

Here's an interesting new lens from Canon: Google translated article (external link). It's a lens for the mirror-less cameras, and it only has a 1.2x magnification (correction from the earlier reported 1:2). So I'm not interested in the lens itself, but in the built in focusing light. Would be great if it shuts off before the shutter opens (like the modeling lights on the MR-14EX II and the MT-24EX). Would also be cool if the light could be activated by double half pressing the shutter like the custom function on the Canon macro flashes (there seems to be a button for the light on the lens). Would be interesting if Canon made built in focusing lights a regular part of their macro lenses though, but I'd really want the ability to turn it on with the shutter and not have to fumble with a button on the lens.

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

sponsored links
davholla
Joined Nov 2014
May 12, 2016 04:03 |  #2

I agree with you that would be great, if the macro photography market were a lot bigger, then we would have had this years ago. Sadly we are a small market.

orionmystery
Cream of the Crop
12,013 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Malaysia
May 12, 2016 09:05 |  #3

To me, it's just gimmick. I use a Fenix flashlight (torchlight) as my focusing light.

http://petapixel.com ...s-first-built-ring-light/ (external link)

Kurt, 70D, Laowa 15mm, 60mm/270EX & MPE65/MT24EX for full flash (external link), Sigma 150 +1.4x TC for natural light (external link).
Plan a macro/herping trip with us:
Borneo Herp Tour June 201 (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,369 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
May 12, 2016 10:08 |  #4

Interesting idea, but why such a short focal length? The working distance has to be horrible.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Dalantech
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
May 13, 2016 16:45 |  #5

davholla wrote in post #18004352 (external link)
I agree with you that would be great, if the macro photography market were a lot bigger, then we would have had this years ago. Sadly we are a small market.

More and more people are getting into macro all the time though.

My Blog (external link)

Dalantech
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
May 13, 2016 16:47 |  #6

orionmystery wrote in post #18004511 (external link)
To me, it's just gimmick. I use a Fenix flashlight (torchlight) as my focusing light.

http://petapixel.com ...s-first-built-ring-light/ (external link)

The down side to doing that Kurt is that the light might add to the exposure depending on the camera settings. That's why I like the lights built into the MT-24EX -they turn off before the shutter opens. They do influence the light meter, but the effect is minimal.

My Blog (external link)

Dalantech
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
May 13, 2016 16:48 |  #7

gjl711 wrote in post #18004569 (external link)
Interesting idea, but why such a short focal length? The working distance has to be horrible.

That's my main concern, and that might be why Canon added the lights into the lens. The intent might be for those lights to be the primary light source -horrible for freezing motion.

My Blog (external link)

orionmystery
Cream of the Crop
12,013 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Malaysia
May 16, 2016 07:44 |  #8

Dalantech wrote in post #18006088 (external link)
The down side to doing that Kurt is that the light might add to the exposure depending on the camera settings. That's why I like the lights built into the MT-24EX -they turn off before the shutter opens. They do influence the light meter, but the effect is minimal.

Doesn't affect the exposure at all with my typical setting of 1/200, F11, ISO200.

Kurt, 70D, Laowa 15mm, 60mm/270EX & MPE65/MT24EX for full flash (external link), Sigma 150 +1.4x TC for natural light (external link).
Plan a macro/herping trip with us:
Borneo Herp Tour June 201 (external link)

Dalantech
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
May 17, 2016 03:51 |  #9

orionmystery wrote in post #18008654 (external link)
Doesn't affect the exposure at all with my typical setting of 1/200, F11, ISO200.

Cool. My next project is to build some LEDs with button lithium cells into my diffusers, so I can turn them into focusing lamps.

My Blog (external link)

sponsored links

2,307 views & 4 likes for this thread
Macro lenses with built in focusing lamps
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.