Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 13 May 2016 (Friday) 15:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Ever Had a Crooked Sensor?! 5D Mk III Problem!

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
May 13, 2016 15:14 |  #1

So I just had my shutter replaced. Got the camera back and noticed the right side of the photos is blurry. When shooting a group of people all in a line, the ones on the right are noticeably out of focus.

Here's an example of a flat wall. Notice the bricks in the center and left are just fine, then the right side the focus shifts forward.

IMAGE: http://www.scottbolster.com/potn/wall-a.jpg

It's hard to see in that small photo so you can see a full size image here: http://www.scottbolste​r.com/potn/wall-b.jpg (external link)

I noticed this with a 24-70 f/2.8II. I didn't notice it with a 50L. J just purchased an 85L and there it is again. It HAS to be the camera!!

It's on it's way to CPS right now. Has anyone ever seen this? Can the sensor be out of alignment like that?

I can post more examples if anyone wants to see them.

Thanks!
Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,915 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
May 13, 2016 20:56 |  #2

It would be with all lenses, if the sensor was skewed. However, I am pretty sure they don't mess with the sensor when replacing the shutter.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,320 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
May 13, 2016 21:21 |  #3

I wouldn't draw any conclusions bases on guessing 'squareness' to the wall. Do a measured test before making any assumptions. And TS is right, if it is the sensor, it would be evident in all photographs with that camera.

Tom

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
May 13, 2016 22:20 |  #4

Given most of the camera has to be dismantled to remove the shutter, if the "flange back adjustment" isn't done after reassembly it would be quite easy to have the sensor out of alignment, especially if the tech wasn't careful to put the shims back where they came from originally...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
May 14, 2016 06:18 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #5

It's not just this photo and it is happening with more than one lens. I will post more examples and it will be very clear that something is wrong.

facebookexternal link

Frodge
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
May 14, 2016 06:27 |  #6

Which camera? When was the work done? If its under warranty and you never noticed this before ship it back with examples. Don't over think this.

skid00skid00
508 posts
Joined Mar 2004
May 14, 2016 06:28 |  #7

It's more probable that the lens mount is off a bit.

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
May 14, 2016 06:30 |  #8

Here's another example with a 24-70 lens. Notice how everyone in the center and left are (relatively) sharp and how the right side is suddenly not? it's most noticeable in the back row. I know they are not tack sharp, but the two on the right are much softer than the rest.

http://www.scottbolste​r.com/potn/focus1.jpg (external link)

In this one, with a 70-200 lens, notice the eyes and flyaway hair of the girls. All are acceptably sharp except the last one or two on the right.

http://www.scottbolste​r.com/potn/focus2.jpg (external link)

My original post was with an 85L lens. Are you seeing the trend?

Scott

facebookexternal link

Mathmans
Joined Apr 2014
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Mathmans.
May 14, 2016 07:09 as a reply to scobols's post |  #9

It seems that you have displaced sensor.
The sensor needs to be removed to replace the shutter so it's possible that the sensor was not placed back the same as it was before.
Here are photos from shutter replacement on eos 20D. The procedure is the same for all dslr cameras.
http://blue.netnation.​com ...-20d_shutter_replacemen​t/ (external link)
There is also a warning:
Remove the sensor by freeing the three main screws and one grounding tab screw that hold it down. Be careful -- under the three screws are shimms that align the sensor and make it equidistant from the focus sensor (and focus screen) so that everything lines up. Do not remove, lose, bend, or rearrange these shimms, or you will be unhappy.

So the best thing you could do is to take your camera back where it was repaired.

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
May 14, 2016 07:19 as a reply to Mathmans's post |  #10

Thanks so much for the info. I sent the camera back to Canon for repair so they should have it Monday morning. Not something I'd try myself :)

Scott

facebookexternal link

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
May 18, 2016 10:55 |  #11

UPDATE:

I just got the camera back from CPS and, to my surprise, they didn't even check the sensor alignment. The service details state: "Your product has been examined and it was found that the adjustment of the af assembly was incorrect causing the focus to operate improperly from time to time. Adjustments were carried out on the af assembly. Product functions were confirmed. If same problem occur, pls send us with Lens."

Huh?

So I grabbed a different lens (a CPS loaner 24-70 that they just sent me yesterday since they still have mine) and took the same wall photos as above. Sure enough, the problem is still there!

See it here: www.scottbolster.com/p​otn/new_wall.JPG (external link)

I called CPS and he said 9 out of 10 times it's the AF assembly. I told him about my new samples and he said send it back. What about my wedding this Friday? Thankfully he's sending me a loaner 5D III overnight so I'll have that tomorrow.

Kudos to CPS for coming through with a loaner so quickly. Now I really hope they can fix the problem this time.

I'll let you all know what happens this time.

Scott

facebookexternal link

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
May 23, 2016 10:24 |  #12

UPDATE:

I just got the camera back from it's second trip to CPS and it seems to be working perfect now. Any softness on the right matches the left so I'm guessing it's just the lens.

http://www.scottbolste​r.com/potn/wall_final.​jpg (external link)

Here's what they said this time: "Your product has been examined and it was found that the viewfinder assembly did not operate properly causing the focus to operate improperly from time to time. The viewfinder assembly was replaced. Product functions were confirmed."

So the AF assembly was adjusted, the viewfinder assembly was replaced, and the shutter was replaced during it's original trip. It's like a brand new camera (except for all of the nicks and scratches). :)

Scott

facebookexternal link

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,915 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed.
May 23, 2016 10:31 |  #13

The pentaprism must have been misaligned causing some sort of focus shift to the phase detect AF points, although I still don't understand how the viewfinder could ultimately cause an image projected onto a 2D surface to be clear on one side and OOF on the other.

If you are truly perpendicular to your test material, each side should be nearly perfectly identical to each other. If not, there is a lens issue, or a sensor misalignment to the lens mount.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
May 23, 2016 11:48 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #14

Very true. I hesitant to believe that the descriptions of service are complete. They seem a little generic. They may have done more than they are telling me.

facebookexternal link

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
May 24, 2016 02:55 |  #15

There is a good chance that in removing the pentaprism and AF assemblies they also had to remove the lens mount. I would expect the same may well have been true when they did the shutter. If they then put the lens mount back in out of true alignment then there is a good chance that you would see the results you got. The mount being out seems more likely than the sensor, although it would depend on what has to be touched during any particular job. Sounds like they put it back together again correctly this time anyway.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

3,065 views & 1 like for this thread
Ever Had a Crooked Sensor?! 5D Mk III Problem!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.