Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
May 14, 2016 10:09 |  #691

digital paradise wrote in post #18006758 (external link)
Since we here can someone tell me what this button actually does. I know what multi function is but what functions does it actually control. When I press page 445 it skips to that page but ti does not really tell me anything. Unless you are holding it and trying it out it is not easy. That is the only thing that has me stumped a bit.

QUOTED IMAGE

Hit the Q button, then bottom right corner is the Custom function button, scroll to desired button and hit enter - choices will come up. I use it for picture magnification. The button below that I set to AF function to put the camera into full turbo AF mode

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,238 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
May 14, 2016 10:12 |  #692

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #18006779 (external link)
Hit the Q button, then bottom right corner is the Custom function button, scroll to desired button and hit enter - choices will come up. I use it for picture magnification. The button below that I set to AF function to put the camera into full turbo AF mode

Thanks for the info.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

PeterAlex7
156 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by PeterAlex7.
May 14, 2016 11:10 |  #693

Scott_online wrote in post #18006742 (external link)
Hi Peter,

I find shoulder bags quite uncomfortable. My two 'go to' bags are the Think Tank Airport Commuter when I need to take everything and the Think Tank Glass Taxi when I'm just taking the 300 and a body. They're both backpacks.

I do have a few other bags (mainly Think Tank) but I was finding it harder and harder to get rollers on to planes.

My problem with backpack bags is area between my armpits and shoulder become itchy when i use backpacks for a long period, everything is getting worse if the bag fully loaded and heavy.

Is your bag especially the TT airport commuter comfortable to use for 2 hours or more with fully loaded?

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by umphotography.
May 14, 2016 11:10 |  #694

Raw converted to JPEG..straight off camera file with a LR preset

camera is killer. Used cheetahstand OCF lighting on this. WE had to hike in 2 miles to falls. It was worth it. @nd shop we photoshopped on a tree that fell in and was in center of falls from cliffs above

These are straight off files. pulled shadows slightly

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

PeterAlex7
156 posts
Joined Dec 2015
May 14, 2016 11:19 |  #695

umphotography wrote in post #18006834 (external link)
Raw converted to JPEG..straight off camera file with a LR preset

camera is killer. Used cheetahstand OCF lighting on this. WE had to hike in 2 miles to falls. It was worth it. @nd shop we photoshopped on a tree that fell in and was in center of falls from cliffs above

These are straight off files. pulled shadows slightly

I would be grateful if you post some photos from 135L + 1DX II, sir :-)

If you have free time to try this combo ofcourse.

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
May 14, 2016 11:33 |  #696

Decided to test 51,200 ISO
- save both the raw and jpg
- worked on raw for 20 seconds in LR and did a very basic job
- used some but minimal NR to keep detail
- set white and black point and exported
- you can see what the Camera did (used fine detail picture style)

51,200 raw

LR
- 30 Sharpening
- Masking 60
- 20 luminance NR
- 50 Detail

Set white and black point

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7372/26915594992_cc68db3b70_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/H1rs​EC] (external link)51200_iso_raw (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

Same file - sooc jpg

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7719/26406025053_cc177a11c8_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GepM​h2] (external link)51200_iso_sooc_jpeg (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
May 14, 2016 11:55 |  #697

PeterAlex7 wrote in post #18006833 (external link)
My problem with backpack bags is area between my armpits and shoulder become itchy when i use backpacks for a long period, everything is getting worse if the bag fully loaded and heavy.

Is your bag especially the TT airport commuter comfortable to use for 2 hours or more with fully loaded?

It's comfortable but I don't think I've ever had it on for 2 hours straight. The Airport series are designed to get your gear from location to location. They're not really hiking backpacks. If that's what you're looking for, have a look at bags from F-stop or Mindshift.

flickr (external link)

PeterAlex7
156 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by PeterAlex7.
May 14, 2016 12:11 |  #698

Scott_online wrote in post #18006872 (external link)
It's comfortable but I don't think I've ever had it on for 2 hours straight. The Airport series are designed to get your gear from location to location. They're not really hiking backpacks. If that's what you're looking for, have a look at bags from F-stop or Mindshift.

Copy that sir. Actually i'll use it not for hiking or the like, but for walking around in public space, shooting candid. But sure, i will consider the mindshift, since the f-stop also not available too in my country, just like domke. Honestly, i was never heard the f-stop brand before :oops::-P

mrmaint
Joined Oct 2011
May 14, 2016 12:29 |  #699

Dankata wrote in post #18006773 (external link)
Is there any way I can move the exposure bar like it is on the photo, in Manual mode I only see it on the right side (in the viewfinder) and it's in vertical position and I really want to have it horizontal at the bottom. It is displayed like this in Av an TV modes but not in M, is it possible to display it in M???
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Dankata in
./showthread.php?p=180​06773&i=i199663154
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Same way on mine. Only way it is on the bottom in the viewfinder is in auto ISO mode while in manual. Not sure if there is a way to change it.

1D X Mark II, 7D: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 24-105 f/4L, 100 2.8L, 40mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, Tokina 11-16 2.8, 2 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT.

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by idkdc.
May 14, 2016 12:43 |  #700

PeterAlex7 wrote in post #18006889 (external link)
Copy that sir. Actually i'll use it not for hiking or the like, but for walking around in public space, shooting candid. But sure, i will consider the mindshift, since the f-stop also not available too in my country, just like domke. Honestly, i was never heard the f-stop brand before :oops::-P

I prefer mindshift gear to fstopgear bags tbh, and real hiking bags to mindshift and every other camera bag out there for long distance comfort. But accessibility is bad on the real hiking bags (with inserts inside) unless you mount lens cases outside. F-Stop Gear is more esoteric simply because they don't sell through dealers. Great bags, but they're always irritatingly out of stock. The foam, at least on the Kenti, makes my back sweat too much and the hydration placement isn't very good. I think I might give their new Mountain series (with built-in waterproofing) a try if they ever go back in stock.

1DIII through 1DXII(2) | 5D2-4 | 5DS | 8-800mm
XT2 | 16-140mm

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by jwcdds.
May 14, 2016 13:17 |  #701

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #18006856 (external link)
Decided to test 51,200 ISO
- save both the raw and jpg
- worked on raw for 20 seconds in LR and did a very basic job
- used some but minimal NR to keep detail
- set white and black point and exported
- you can see what the Camera did (used fine detail picture style)

51,200 raw

LR
- 30 Sharpening
- Masking 60
- 20 luminance NR
- 50 Detail

Set white and black point

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/H1rs​EC] (external link)51200_iso_raw (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

Same file - sooc jpg

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GepM​h2] (external link)51200_iso_sooc_jpeg (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

Goodness gracious. Who would have ever though iso 51200 clean up so well!

BTW, I forget who posted the Tony Northrup review comparing the 1DX and D5 high-iso. He declared the D5 as high-iso king.

And he showed one of the 1:1 zoom comparison @ iso 25,600 and I'm thinking, WTH is he smokin'? Yes, the D5 image had less "grain noise". But the details were OBLITERATED. Whereas the slighly noisier 1DX2 provided so much more detail. I could be wrong but I think the Nikon's 24mm was shot w/ a prime stopped down to f/4. Where the Canon shot 24mm with the 24-105 zoom where f/4 is wide open.

Made me suspect that Nikon (as previously done so in the past) have incorporated NR into their high-ISO RAW, whether you like it or not, and you cannot undo/adjust.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
May 14, 2016 13:20 |  #702

mounted the 100-400L II and took a few in the front yard
have been shooting Single Silent since I got the camera learning where everything is
cranked it up as the little and let it rip in small bursts to capture the bird
took about 20 shots of the bird as it bounced around - every single shot was tack sharp
less pixels on target than the 7D2 but 100% hit rate

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7352/26737744500_fd8a27ee53_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GJHV​UQ] (external link)front_yard (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7602/26737753570_3b2f908c49_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GJHY​Bd] (external link)front_yard (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7129/27011651235_0ef22f069e_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/H9VL​QK] (external link)front_yard (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
Joined Oct 2006
Monrovia, CA
May 14, 2016 13:24 |  #703

Dankata wrote in post #18006773 (external link)
Is there any way I can move the exposure bar like it is on the photo, in Manual mode I only see it on the right side (in the viewfinder) and it's in vertical position and I really want to have it horizontal at the bottom. It is displayed like this in Av an TV modes but not in M, is it possible to display it in M???
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Dankata in
./showthread.php?p=180​06773&i=i199663154
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

200 1.8!!! Hehehehehe...

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Gadget-Guy
706 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Wolverton,Bucks.UK
May 14, 2016 13:58 as a reply to jwcdds's post |  #704

Had a little bit of a run in with him on youtube when i told him it was a joke comparing the D5 to the 7D MKII on shots in focus out of 100 shots,his reply was all that they had to test the D5 against in the way of Canon was the 7D MKII. Sorry but i think the bloke is a joke in all honesty and doesn't know his arse from his elbow but his Mrs looks ok ;-)a

The equipment you'll leave at home will be the equipment you'll need the most!
Murphy's Law

PeterAlex7
156 posts
Joined Dec 2015
May 14, 2016 14:29 |  #705

idkdc wrote in post #18006920 (external link)
I prefer mindshift gear to fstopgear bags tbh, and real hiking bags to mindshift and every other camera bag out there for long distance comfort. But accessibility is bad on the real hiking bags (with inserts inside) unless you mount lens cases outside. F-Stop Gear is more esoteric simply because they don't sell through dealers. Great bags, but they're always irritatingly out of stock. The foam, at least on the Kenti, makes my back sweat too much and the hydration placement isn't very good. I think I might give their new Mountain series (with built-in waterproofing) a try if they ever go back in stock.

Well, sounds like it will take a longer time for me to pull out the camera with the mindshift.

Thank you for your information :-)

sponsored links

934,901 views & 12008 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.