Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 15 May 2016 (Sunday) 17:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Can someone explain something to me....

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
May 16, 2016 08:14 |  #16

Yeah, looks like freelensing.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,461 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Southeastern WI, USA
May 16, 2016 10:02 |  #17

greyswan wrote in post #18008571 (external link)
Is it just me or is he just holding the lens in front of the lens hood? (Freelensing :))

Post #11 has the answer to this.

If you look to the left of the shooter's hand, that area is grey and not black like the lens. The gray area is part of a chair in the background which is giving the appearance of a lens hood where there is not one. The only lens hood is covered by the white sock.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,400 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. 8 edits done in total.
May 16, 2016 10:39 |  #18

SkipD wrote in post #18008767 (external link)

If you look to the left of the shooter's hand, that area is grey and not black like the lens. The gray area is part of a chair in the background which is giving the appearance of a lens hood where there is not one. The only lens hood is covered by the white sock.

I'm still not sure, yes, that upper grey could be the seat cushion (vs. the back) that we see there, but the lower dark portion does not coincide with any dark area of the stadium seating...even if what you state is indeed true, the white covered part seems misregistered (higher) to the black part

from Joe Roswell Flicker page https://www.flickr.com​/photos/8116221@N07/ (external link)

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/zoomed_zpstuunio0g.jpg

In any event, freelensing a lens in front of another lens merely results in MACRO capability super close focus, which is illogical to do in that setting.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,962 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
May 16, 2016 10:48 |  #19

I disagree, vehemently. Download and enlarge. You can see shooter's left index finger resting against the 'hood', and the 'hood' casts a shadow on his thumb. If you look closely, it appears as though you can see the entire open circle of the black hood. It is turned almost 90 degrees to the camera taking the photo.

I switch my vote to 'freelensing', though I've never heard of it.

Tom

neacail
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2013
Calgary, AB, Canada
May 16, 2016 10:51 |  #20

Bassat wrote in post #18008830 (external link)
I disagree, vehemently. Download and enlarge. You can see shooter's left index finger resting against the 'hood', and the 'hood' casts a shadow on his thumb. If you look closely, it appears as though you can see the entire open circle of the black hood. It is turned almost 90 degrees to the camera taking the photo.

I switch my vote to 'freelensing', though I've never heard of it.

I've seen it done before, and I've done it before. But, I've never done, or seen done, it with a hood installed on the lens that is attached to the camera before. It seems totally obvious to me now that using the hood is a great idea.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

travisvwright
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2013
NC
May 16, 2016 11:05 |  #21

tonylong wrote in post #18008430 (external link)
I'd say off-hand that you were back-focusing a bit, say on one of the chairs behind you. Things like that can happen, since our cameras can pick points aside from our desired subject that have contrast that the camera picks up on.

So, what aperture and lens focal length were you using? These issues together with the distance between the camera and the focal point help to determine the Depth of Field (the area in front of and behind your actual focal point/plane). If you used a wide aperture, such as f/4 or f/2.8) the result will be less forgiving of a bit of front or back focusing!

I was going to say "Well played." But now I think I'm going to say, "Not sure if serious."

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

travisvwright
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2013
NC
May 16, 2016 11:06 |  #22

I disgree with the "freelensing" vote simply because of the way the monopod is attached. If that was a short (almost pancake) lens with hood it wouldn't have a foot.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,642 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by OhLook.
May 16, 2016 11:15 |  #23

Wilt wrote in post #18008819 (external link)
from Joe Rosewell Flicker page https://www.flickr.com​/photos/8116221@N07/ (external link)

So the photo isn't the OP's? Now "It's not about me" makes more sense, and posting the photo makes less.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Bassat
6,962 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Bassat.
May 16, 2016 11:21 |  #24

OhLook wrote in post #18008875 (external link)
So the photo isn't the OP's? Now "It's not about me" makes more sense, and posting the photo makes less.

I checked that out. OP is from Tracy, California. Kids' athletic teams in all Joe's shots are from Tracy, CA. It appears the OP is Joe Rosewell. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Tom

Wilt
39,400 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.
May 16, 2016 11:26 |  #25

Bassat wrote in post #18008884 (external link)
I checked that out. OP is from Tracy, California. Kids' athletic teams in all Joe's shots are from Tracy, CA. It appears the OP is Joe Rosewell. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I think both live in Tracy, but it would seem that 'calvin3' is not 'Joe Roswell'

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Bassat
6,962 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
May 16, 2016 11:30 |  #26

Wilt wrote in post #18008891 (external link)
I think both live in Tracy, but it would seem that 'calvin3' is not 'Joe Roswell'

Click on OP's username. Click on his flickr and FB. Both are for Joe Rosewell. That should settle it, I suppose. OP is Joe Rosewell.

Tom

neacail
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2013
Calgary, AB, Canada
May 16, 2016 11:34 |  #27

I changed my mind.

I think you're correct.

The camera has a Nikon strap, but the lens looks kind of weirdly shaped. Is there a Nikon lens that shape? I suppose it could be a different brand of lens: Sigma or Tamron?

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

Wilt
39,400 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
May 16, 2016 11:35 |  #28

Bassat wrote in post #18008896 (external link)
Click on OP's username. Click on his flickr and FB. Both are for Joe Rosewell. That should settle it, I suppose. OP is Joe Rosewell.

Hmmm, now calvin3 needs to tell us
1) what is portrayed in OP photo
2) why he uses the POTN name that he chose (to allay fears he may be one of those 'preverts' that we hear photographers being accused of being :lol: )

travisvwright
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2013
NC
May 16, 2016 11:36 |  #29

Wilt wrote in post #18008901 (external link)
Hmmm, now calvin3 needs to tell us
1) what is portrayed in OP photo
2) why he uses the POTN name that he chose (to allay fears he may be one of those 'preverts' that we hear photographers being assused of being :lol: )

Wait didn't he come here specifically to ask what is portrayed in the OP photo?

Wilt
39,400 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
May 16, 2016 11:38 |  #30

travisvwright wrote in post #18008903 (external link)
Wait didn't he come here specifically to ask what is portrayed in the OP photo?

Yes, but was it merely a 'test' to see if we could figure it out? At least HE saw the photographer in the photo in action, we have no clues provided by witnessing the guy.
It could merely be a Nikon shooter masquerading as a Canon white-lens user status seeker, in which case he forgot the red stripe.

sponsored links

5,320 views & 6 likes for this thread
Can someone explain something to me....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.