Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 17 May 2016 (Tuesday) 15:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

That first half-second in Lightroom

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
May 17, 2016 15:08 |  #1

Upon viewing RAW photos for the first time after import, Lightroom displays a picture for about a half-second and then it changes. Is that the embedded JPG that is displayed? There are times I like the skin tones (or some other colors) better in that first peek but I can't ever seem to get the photo back to that state.

Unfortunately once I view the photo I can't ever see that quick preview again so I can't really compare it to anything.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

sponsored links
DGStinner
Joined Jan 2014
Middlesex, New Jersey
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by DGStinner.
May 17, 2016 15:14 |  #2

Yes, it is the embedded JPG that you're seeing. I believe there are apps that'll extract the JPG from the RAW but don't know of any off the top of my head.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | Rebel T3
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
My Gear on Lenstag (external link) | flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Personal IG (external link)| Regular IG (external link)

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by scobols.
May 17, 2016 15:17 as a reply to DGStinner's post |  #3

Thanks. So that would be the same thing you see on your camera's LCD, right?

As long as you're shooting RAW and not RAW+JPG.

facebookexternal link

DGStinner
Joined Jan 2014
Middlesex, New Jersey
May 17, 2016 15:20 as a reply to scobols's post |  #4

Yes, it's the same image you see on the back of the camera.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | Rebel T3
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
My Gear on Lenstag (external link) | flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Personal IG (external link)| Regular IG (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,378 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Gesher Haziv, Israel
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by tzalman. 2 edits done in total.
May 17, 2016 15:46 |  #5

DGStinner wrote in post #18010305 (external link)
Yes, it's the same image you see on the back of the camera.

But it could look different when glimpsed in LR (color managed application, maybe calibrated monitor, etc) than it does on the camera lcd. At any rate, here's a good free app for extracting it:
http://michaeltapesdes​ign.com/instant-jpeg-from-raw.html (external link)

Also, using Canon's DPP to convert the Raw will reproduce it as a jpg or tiff.

Elie / אלי

tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
May 18, 2016 03:17 |  #6

tzalman wrote in post #18010332 (external link)
But it could look different when glimpsed in LR (color managed application, maybe calibrated monitor, etc) than it does on the camera lcd. At any rate, here's a good free app for extracting it:
http://michaeltapesdes​ign.com/instant-jpeg-from-raw.html (external link)

Also, using Canon's DPP to convert the Raw will reproduce it as a jpg or tiff.

I want to quote/bold this because it's actually a very valuable asset that we have as Canon users, although it can be easy to ignore or to be totally unaware of!

DPP has the unique ability to open a RAW file and render it using the in-camera settings by default. So, if your camera is set to a particular Picture Style, DPP will use that Picture Style to render a RAW file accordingly. You can, in DPP, also change the Picture Style as well as other settings at will! This functionality can give some valuable insight as to working with our RAW files with what the Camera would produce as a Jpeg as a reference, and, for users of DPP or Lightroom or another non-Canon RAW app, that insight can help you to tweak your RAW converter settings accordingly, and then to go farther, tweaking that RAW data to actually surpass what the Jpeg would have become!

I do encourage people who are new to RAW processing, or who have similar questions, to install the DPP software that came with your camera (or get it online) and spend time exploring! It can help you to get a "fresh" handle on your RAW processing!!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
May 18, 2016 07:00 |  #7

Thank you tzalman for the link!

Thank you Tony for the info. You're right on the money. I have DPP installed but never think to use it. I typically convert to DNG when I import into LR but next time I will leave them as CR2's and play with them in DPP as well.

Scott

facebookexternal link

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
May 18, 2016 07:16 |  #8

I shoot RAW because I don't like the processing the camera does and much prefer my personal spin on the data, not the cameras. I've never used DPP or other manufacturers RAW convertors and process my own.

I'd lean the other way, don't compare to what the Camera displays, learn to edit the RAW to it's full advantage.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,409 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by kirkt. 5 edits done in total.
May 18, 2016 07:42 |  #9

Most raw files have a JPEG embedded within them, many cameras embed full resolution JPEGs. You can extract the embedded JPEG, which will reflect the Picture Style and color space settings entered in your camera at the time of shooting, by using dcraw on a directory of images.

http://www.cybercom.ne​t/~dcoffin/dcraw/ (external link)

dcraw is a command line utility, but do not let that deter you. Once you are in the directory with the image files, type the following at the command line prompt:

dcraw -e *.CR2

This assumes that the raw files have the extension "CR2" - change that to whatever the extension is for your raw files. Here you are simply saying "hey dcraw, extract the JPEGs (the "-e" flag on the command line) of ALL of the CR2 files (*.CR2, where the "*" is a wildcard for "anything" that is then followed by ".CR2") in this directory.

dcraw will chug through the directory and produce the JPEGs next to the raw files.

If you take some time to learn how to produce a script, or a macro, or command that embeds this invocation of dcraw (i.e., some automated task in your OS), you may be able to automate the process even further by being able to drag the directory of files onto the script icon, etc. to invoke the process. This is probably what is under the hood of the Michael Tapes application and, by using dcraw, you do not need to give the Michael Tapes borg your personal marketing information. Plus you can learn something about taking control of your workflow!

kirk

Kirk
---

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,887 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
May 29, 2016 11:18 |  #10

I've found the easiest thing for it is to scroll to the bottom of the edit panel and try a couple of the camera presets down there; normally Camera Standard or Camera Faithful will do it, other times Landscape or Portrait will get a better result.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,822 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems.
May 29, 2016 12:26 |  #11

scobols wrote in post #18010296 (external link)
Upon viewing RAW photos for the first time after import, Lightroom displays a picture for about a half-second and then it changes. Is that the embedded JPG that is displayed? There are times I like the skin tones (or some other colors) better in that first peek but I can't ever seem to get the photo back to that state.

Unfortunately once I view the photo I can't ever see that quick preview again so I can't really compare it to anything.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Scott

If you want to RAW file to look like the colors in the embedded jpeg, open the RAW file in Canon software, and the embedded jpeg profile as set up in your camera can be applied to the RAW file (in fact it automatically will be by default) Lightroom can not do this for you.

EDIR: Gah! I did not read down far enough.

To whit, WHAT THEY SAID! :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,254 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
May 29, 2016 12:43 |  #12

I use both LR for editing however for pre-viewing and deleting I use DPP, Quick Check, Full Screen. I just hit X for all images to delete then Edit, Rating, Select Rejected Images Only and delete them. Then I import into LR.

It is faster than LR and there is something about DPP in how it renders images in this mode.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,378 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Gesher Haziv, Israel
May 29, 2016 16:20 |  #13

I use both LR for editing however for pre-viewing and deleting I use DPP, Quick Check, Full Screen. I just hit X for all images to delete then Edit, Rating, Select Rejected Images Only and delete them. Then I import into LR. It is faster than LR and there is something about DPP in how it renders images in this mode.

In Quick Check it doesn't "render" at all. It displays the embedded jpg that has already been rendered in the camera.

Elie / אלי

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,254 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
May 29, 2016 16:38 |  #14

tzalman wrote in post #18022954 (external link)
In Quick Check it doesn't "render" at all. It displays the embedded jpg that has already been rendered in the camera.

You are correct. I should have just said it does a great job a displaying images.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

2,298 views & 0 likes for this thread
That first half-second in Lightroom
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.