Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 17 May 2016 (Tuesday) 03:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What would be your current (realistic) dream lens?

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,666 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
May 20, 2016 20:14 |  #16

I am with Tom Reichner on this one.
A Canon 300/400 to 800 F5.6 zoom made to Mk2 standards with a built in 1.4 extender (perhaps?) would be a killer lens for me! I will pass on the IS, don't like it/have no use for it.
If Canon made a lens like this my canon 800 F5.6 L IS would be on E Bay the day after!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links
Savethemoment
Joined Jun 2012
Sydney, Australia
May 21, 2016 02:20 |  #17

I'm also very keen for an updated version of the 85 f1.2, if/when it's released I'll be lining up for one. I don't want to buy the current version because it's apparently very slow to focus so it's not much use when photographing kids; I hope they can improve on that as I really feel the lack of a prime at this FL.

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
May 21, 2016 02:35 |  #18

BigAl007 wrote in post #18013620 (external link)
Because at focal lengths of over about 50mm there is no advantage to implementing either the smaller image circle or even the shorter back focus distance. As soon as you are using a telephoto design that advantage goes away. A 400mm f/2.8 lens is limited by physics to having a physical aperture diameter of 142mm and nothing can fix that, 300mm needs 107mm. This is what fixes the size of super teles, not the image circle or the back focus distance.

You are exactly right. There would be no size or weight savings (and certainly no cost savings) with 300mm and above lenses being made for EF-S.

So, if an EF-S lens in long telephoto lengths is going to be just a big as the EF equivalent, just as heavy as the EF equivalent, and cost just as much as the EF equivalent, then why bother making one? It seems like a senseless thing to do from my perspective.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
May 21, 2016 02:58 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #19

Tom actually the advantage starts a lot sooner for primes than 300mm. Once you move away from the Double Gauss design to a true telephoto design is pretty much where the EF-s advantage ends. I'm not sure where the Canon 85mm lenses fall design wise, but 100mm will probably be truly telephoto, with a fast max aperture fixing the size.

The zooms are a bit different, with them it is the wide end of the range that matters not really the long. I am a little surprised that Canon needed to make the 55-250 in an EF-s mount. I have a Sigma 28-300 f/6.3 zoom that is physically about the same size as the Canon, and is still f/5.6 at 250mm IIRC and covers the full 35mm frame. I can understand why Tamron have limited the image circle on lenses like the 16-300, given the necessary size of a 35mm format ultra wide 16mm lens.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

PCousins
Joined Nov 2014
Weston-Super-Mare (UK)
May 21, 2016 03:16 |  #20

Savethemoment wrote in post #18013887 (external link)
I'm also very keen for an updated version of the 85 f1.2, if/when it's released I'll be lining up for one. I don't want to buy the current version because it's apparently very slow to focus so it's not much use when photographing kids; I hope they can improve on that as I really feel the lack of a prime at this FL.

Nothing wrong with the 85L II, I use mine all the time with my children. It takes a while to learn and lots of practice but once nailed it's magical. Your children will be adults by the time Canon bring out a new version. Why wait?

Gear List

Savethemoment
Joined Jun 2012
Sydney, Australia
May 22, 2016 06:46 |  #21

PCousins wrote in post #18013906 (external link)
Nothing wrong with the 85L II, I use mine all the time with my children. It takes a while to learn and lots of practice but once nailed it's magical. Your children will be adults by the time Canon bring out a new version. Why wait?

Well I'm glad it works for you, the kids in my family are little & they move fast & I just can't see a lens which is slow to focus being very useful with them. I'd be very cheesed off too if I bought the current one and a new version came out shortly after, I'd regret not having waited.

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

Scottboarding
Joined May 2016
May 25, 2016 22:39 |  #22

An ef-s 22mm f2 IS STM with weather sealing would be cool. They already make the 35mm f2 IS so to make an equivalent for aps-c would be nice. Canon should make more ef-s equivalent for popular primes (35, 50, 85) being that the 7dii is such a capable camera. I've read a lot of people on here switching from their 5d mark iii to the 7d mark ii, so it only makes sense for them to expand their ef-s line to include some pro level lenses.

Olympus E-M1 - Mitakon 25mm f0.95 - Olympus 17mm f1.8
Nikon FM2n - Nikon Ai-s 28mm f2.8 - Nikon Ai 50mm f1.4
Ricoh GRii

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
May 29, 2016 19:12 |  #23

ejenner wrote in post #18011682 (external link)
One I could not afford - 600mm f4 DO

One I could - 135 f2 IS.

I'd settle for a reasonable 50mm 1.8 IS (would go for the Tamron 45mm if AF was as good as Canon).

Get sonnar.. And IBIS if IS necessary.
Sonnar 135/2 is amazing. :)

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || TT560

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
Joined Dec 2008
Hangin' with the Muffins at the Moose Mosque
May 29, 2016 19:37 |  #24

"Realistic" meaning I have a chance of going out and buying it in the future: EF 100-400L MkII

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,180 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Detroit, MI
May 29, 2016 21:00 |  #25

Savethemoment wrote in post #18014918 (external link)
Well I'm glad it works for you, the kids in my family are little & they move fast & I just can't see a lens which is slow to focus being very useful with them. I'd be very cheesed off too if I bought the current one and a new version came out shortly after, I'd regret not having waited.

It's not that slow. I've shot HS volleyball with it.

The 85L II can be slow to rack all the way from end to end. That means if you are way off target it can be very slow to acquire and get on focus. But otherwise it tracks and follows just fine, and it is capable of shifting onto a target OK so long as the focus was not super far off (like MFD) when starting.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from JeffreyG's gallery.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Everett, WA
Jun 03, 2016 20:59 |  #26

There isn't really any lenses I would like to see made. But I would like lenses with features added to them. Like if lenses had a built in CP you could rotate an adjustment ring from behind the hood. Or a fast swappable filter system like the Lee filter holder kit drop in style like on the big whites. All contained inside the lens and weather sealed. Be able to use different types of filters like ND, CP, and GND. It would be easier to setup and handle than threading and swapping the normal filters. The Lee filters are pretty exposed.

I'd also like a system with a much higher level of weather sealing. Something you could shoot maybe 10ft underwater and not have to worry about putting an expensive case around to seal. I have had some bodies and lenses in some really heavy rain, or right next to a major waterfall flow and never been worried about my gear. But I've also always wanted to hike to a lake, jump in, and start taking pics. I just can't justify a water housing.

5D4 or 6D2..... Waiting to find out which I buy | 8-15L |24-70mm f/4L IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Everett, WA
Jun 03, 2016 21:01 |  #27

As far as legitimate lenses, I think more DO lenses would be really popular. Who wouldn't want a 200mm f/2 DO? Or a 600mm or 800mm DO?

5D4 or 6D2..... Waiting to find out which I buy | 8-15L |24-70mm f/4L IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jun 04, 2016 03:06 |  #28

kawi_200 wrote in post #18028394 (external link)
I'd also like a system with a much higher level of weather sealing. Something you could shoot maybe 10ft underwater and not have to worry about putting an expensive case around to seal. I have had some bodies and lenses in some really heavy rain, or right next to a major waterfall flow and never been worried about my gear. But I've also always wanted to hike to a lake, jump in, and start taking pics. I just can't justify a water housing.

The problem with this is that to achieve that level of waterproofing would actually probably add more to the cost of the lens than the case would cost you in the first place. Not to mention the cost to do the body to the same level. The waterproof housing that are available cost what they do for a very good reason. I design electronic control systems for clay pigeon traps, plus turn and lift systems to alter the direction of throw. I can get an IP67 rated enclosure for not too much money. The problem is that these have no way of bringing in the wiring loom. The only way to do that, and maintain any sort of IP rating at all is to use a custom moulded wiring loom, that would generally be prohibitively expensive. Usually the requirement for an IP rated system is the first to go out of the window. We do our best to keep stuff out, using grommets with strain relief so that you can also add a spot of silicone sealer etc. The thing is that like Canon we don't offer a warranty against moisture ingress, because we know how badly the products get treated by the customer.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Everett, WA
Jun 06, 2016 02:03 |  #29

Cameras could be designed the same way Fluke designed their 20 series waterproof multimeters. The buttons, the rotating selector switch, and even the open/exposed test lead plugs all meet IP67 standards. I didnt say it wouldn't add cost. I didn't say I wanted a full on underwater system designed for 100ft depths, just basic depths of maybe 10ft. It would be the "dream" system I would like to see. It is perfectly feasible to design and build, just not by me.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jun 06, 2016 09:24 |  #30

kawi_200 wrote in post #18030616 (external link)
Cameras could be designed the same way Fluke designed their 20 series waterproof multimeters. The buttons, the rotating selector switch, and even the open/exposed test lead plugs all meet IP67 standards. I didnt say it wouldn't add cost. I didn't say I wanted a full on underwater system designed for 100ft depths, just basic depths of maybe 10ft. It would be the "dream" system I would like to see. It is perfectly feasible to design and build, just not by me.

I think the majority of the expense would come from doing this with an interchangeable lens system.

I think your idea - your dream - is a good one. I just think that the reason is a bit off. If the reason for wanting such a system is that underwater housings are too expensive, then that doesn't make sense to me, as an interchangeable camera/lens system that is good to a depth of 10 feet would undoubtedly be far more expensive than the current housings that are available.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

sponsored links

4,830 views & 14 likes for this thread
What would be your current (realistic) dream lens?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.