Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
May 22, 2016 05:23 |  #901

I'm halfway through a safari with my 1DX2. Having now taken a few thousand frames under quite demanding conditions, I continue to be hugely impressed. The AF performance is outstanding, and it may be a small thing but the focus point illumination makes a massive difference.

While the high ISO performance has definitely improved, shooting raw and in (genuinely) low-light I'm not seeing the ultra-high ISO improvements that some are. To my untrained eye, ISO3200 appears significantly better than on the 1DX1, ISO6400 is a bit better and my personal limit has probably gone up from ISO6400 to around ISO10,000. I do wonder whether some of the really impressive ISO12800 and up shots that I've seen on the web look that good because the subject was well illuminated.

FWIW, another person on the trip is shooting a D5 and to my eye, it does have quite a noticeable advantage at very high ISOs. (And, no, I wouldn't swap).

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Coderunner
Joined Dec 2004
VA USA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Coderunner.
May 22, 2016 05:36 |  #902

1D X Mark II | EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM @560mm | 1/1000 | f/7.1 | ISO 6400

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

1D X Mark II,5D Mark IV,7Dii & too many lens
http://www.sthornhill.​com (external link)

robamy
917 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Chepachet, RI
May 22, 2016 06:30 |  #903

A couple more with the 800mm and 1.4x combo. I am sure many of you know that the link will go to flickr and you can view large. The large shows amazing detail.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7306/27134530676_190dd4dce2_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/HkMy​BN] (external link)Nest Building (external link) by A & R Photography (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7643/27134513026_523e5fe041_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/HkMt​nu] (external link)House Wren (external link) by A & R Photography (external link), on Flickr

flickr https://www.flickr.com​/photos/robamyphotos/ (external link)
YouTube https://www.youtube.co​m .../UCXHzc4eU2AfHUCuGW​31GNdA (external link)
Vimeo https://vimeo.com/roba​myvideos (external link)

smythie
I wasn't even trying
Joined Jun 2009
Sydney - Australia
May 22, 2016 06:38 |  #904

robamy wrote in post #18014910 (external link)
A couple more with the 800mm and 1.4x combo. I am sure many of you know that the link will go to flickr and you can view large. The large shows amazing detail.

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/HkMy​BN] (external link)Nest Building (external link) by A & R Photography (external link), on Flickr

What a shot!

Gear List

golf88
321 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
May 22, 2016 07:05 as a reply to robamy's post |  #905

Awesome shots!

Flickrexternal link

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
Joined Jun 2009
San Jose, CA
May 22, 2016 08:57 |  #906

jwcdds wrote in post #18014829 (external link)
If I had to guess, I think it's just a silly smoke machine connected into that barrel, which pretty much is just a drum on its side. So if the guy whacks it from the back, the vibration pushes the smoke out into these "puffs" that we're seeing.

That's my guess at least. :lol:

Pretty much. More of a diaphragm on the back than a drum, so he can pull it back and push out a large puff of air and smoke. He does smoke rings and can put a 50 +/- MPH gust of wind on your face at 25 yards.

Fun toy. :)

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.comexternal link

HKFEVER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2004
Hong Kong
May 22, 2016 09:37 as a reply to post 18012975 |  #907

Sanitized the CFast card, couple pictures ok, but then the problem happen again :(

What's going on?

The card or the 1DX2?

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
May 22, 2016 09:44 |  #908

HKFEVER wrote in post #18015011 (external link)
Sanitized the CFast card, couple pictures ok, but then the problem happen again :(

What's going on?

The card or the 1DX2?

take the Cfast out and go shoot the crap out of it with a regular card and see if it happens. Then you will have your answers. If its within the return policy, send it back. They cost too much $$ not to be right.

Sorry dude. Thats sucks

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

HKFEVER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2004
Hong Kong
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by HKFEVER.
May 22, 2016 10:14 as a reply to umphotography's post |  #909

Yup, re-format it again, then fire it like the world is going to end.

All files seems fine :)

But will call Canon tmr to see what is going on anyway.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 22, 2016 10:17 |  #910

HKFEVER wrote in post #18015037 (external link)
Yup, re-format it again, then fire it like the world is going to end.

All files seems fine :)

But will call Canon tmr to see what is going on anyway.

Did you test it out with compact flash instead of CFast? I think that's what Mike's suggesting. If it shows up on CF card, then it's more likely a camera issue. But if CF is saving fine, then it's more likely a CFast card issue.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

HKFEVER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2004
Hong Kong
May 22, 2016 10:25 as a reply to jwcdds's post |  #911

All files in regular CF is A OK (which has been in the slot 1 from the first day) :)

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
May 22, 2016 10:29 |  #912

never had so many 1 year old babies in a wedding before - they did remarkable in photos - kept looking when I needed them

first wedding yesterday with the 1Dx_II
- it performed pretty flawlessly
- the shutter in Silent High is definitely more than fine at a wedding
- my one beef, and it did surface as I was switching between my setups, C1 (no flash) and C2 (flash) modes, and the beef is that the in viewfinder indicators are NOT lit up red - they are dark and your can't see them in the dark - in the 5DSR, they light up in red and are easy to cycle though in pitch blackness - either I am missing a setting (please help me if you can find it) - or this was a glaring omission
- it was nice to go back and forth 75% 1DX_II for 20 meg files, and then use the 5DSR when I wanted rich files

2 of my 6 one year olds in the 'wedding party'

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7788/27076572682_1a60039cd3_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/HfEv​J3] (external link)1DX_II with Canon 24-70 F2.8 (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

Tonyuk
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Aug 2008
May 22, 2016 10:58 |  #913

Here is one from my first outing.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 22, 2016 11:26 as a reply to wallstreetoneil's post |  #914

Hm... obviously we won't have the same exact settings but I attached my 580exII in AV mode and then saved my settings to C1. Switched over to c1 and my af illumination points still lit up.

I suspect something got messed up along the way for you before you registered/saved it to Custom modes?

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by wallstreetoneil.
May 22, 2016 12:30 |  #915

jwcdds wrote in post #18015107 (external link)
Hm... obviously we won't have the same exact settings but I attached my 580exII in AV mode and then saved my settings to C1. Switched over to c1 and my af illumination points still lit up.

I suspect something got messed up along the way for you before you registered/saved it to Custom modes?

no, not the AF points, the in viewfinder information that you can turn on - such as drive mode, WB, Metering, etc - they are all dark black - in the 5DSR when you want to cycle through the indicators to change settings while looking through the viewfinder, they go read, and you can see what you are doing

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

sponsored links

934,410 views & 12008 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.