Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 26 Apr 2016 (Tuesday) 22:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Nikons new D500 vs the Canon 7DII

John ­ Koerner
734 posts
Joined Jun 2011
San Dimas, CA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by John Koerner. 3 edits done in total.
May 28, 2016 12:38 |  #76
banned

gjl711 wrote in post #18021918 (external link)
We have been saying that for the last few years. Canon shows very little regard to what others are doing in the market. They just put out what they can. Also, the 7DIII is probably already done and in test. Maybe they might catch up with the 7D4

Honestly, that is exactly why I dropped Canon and moved to Nikon.

I waited 4 years for the 7D Mk II ... and when it came out, I was underwhelmed.

It basically enables the shooter to "rapidly-fire mediocre images," quality-wise.

By contrast, the D500 is able to "rapidly-fire class-leading images."
That is the kind of news that makes me buy, not the former.

The 7D Mark II was already behind when it was first launched, and I was just not willing to spend $1700 to do that.

Nikon really does try to put out game-changers, when they come out with something.

For example, DPReview just did a review on the 2-year-old D810, 2 weeks ago, and yet it still earns their Gold Award:

DPReview of the D810 (external link)

• "THE FINAL WORD
    The Nikon D810 is now nearly two years old, and yet its core technologies still challenge many cameras today, and Raw image quality is unmatched. We still haven't seen another full-frame camera capable of a true base ISO of 64, which gives the D810 medium format levels of clean, noise-free images with comparable dynamic range to boot."

and also ...

• So however frustrating the D810's faults are on occasion, they don't detract from the incredible performance of the camera as a total package. This review has taken a long time to complete, but it's testament to the camera that even after two years, the D810 remains a benchmark in many respects for other models in its class. As such, the D810 earns our coveted Gold award.

The very fact that the D810 is still at the top of its class today, 2 years after it was released, really puts into perspective what a game-changer the D810 was when it was first released.

In fact, the article also said, "(the D810's) sensor noise floor is similar in performance to that in the 645Z. Indeed, we found it to match the 645Z's dynamic range in our real-world dynamic range shootout, beating even Sony's excellent a7R II, and handily crushing the Canon 5DSR."

So, again, Canon's brand new offering isn't as good as Nikon's elder FF camera in most respects, except "sensor size."

So what I am waiting for is Nikon's D900 :lol:

Meanwhile, hats-off to Nikon for making yet another game-changer, in the APS-C class, with the D500.

Jack

sponsored links
LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
May 28, 2016 16:09 |  #77

John Koerner wrote in post #18020353 (external link)
The new DP Review of the Nikon D500 (external link) is in.

Result = Gold Award
"The D500 is the most well-rounded DSLR we've ever tested."

In a nutshell, the D500's image quality is only a hair above the finest ASP-C cameras, but its overall handling, rugged durability, and ability to AF and handle "live action" utterly destroys the competition. Notice I said "the finest," in regards to image quality, which means it's only a hair above the D7200 and Sony a6300 (the 7D II's image quality isn't even in the Top 10).

Other notable quotes:

• "Cameras such as the Canon EOS 7D Mark II and Sony's a6300 appear to offer comparable capabilities on paper, but these appearances prove deceptive in real-world use: the D500's autofocus and continuous shooting performance is noticeably better."

• "Autofocus is the D500's great strength: along with the D5 it's the best we've ever used. Just as mirrorless cameras appear to be closing the gap when it comes to following simple subjects, the D500 comes and blows them (and its DSLR rivals) all out of the water."

• " ... as an APS-C sports and wildlife camera, the D500 is without rival, and that puts in on the top of our awards podium."

Enjoy,

Jack

DPReview has a grudge against Canon - have you seen a review of the 1DX with DPReview? No, I haven't either. DPReview got all snarled up with Canon a while back and some Nikon reviews tend to be a bit over zealous methinks.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
May 28, 2016 16:26 |  #78

John Koerner wrote in post #18021929 (external link)
For example, DPReview just did a review on the 2-year-old D810, 2 weeks ago, and yet it still earns their Gold Award:

DPReview of the D810 (external link)

• "THE FINAL WORD
    The Nikon D810 is now nearly two years old, and yet its core technologies still challenge many cameras today, and Raw image quality is unmatched. We still haven't seen another full-frame camera capable of a true base ISO of 64, which gives the D810 medium format levels of clean, noise-free images with comparable dynamic range to boot."

and also ...

• So however frustrating the D810's faults are on occasion, they don't detract from the incredible performance of the camera as a total package. This review has taken a long time to complete, but it's testament to the camera that even after two years, the D810 remains a benchmark in many respects for other models in its class. As such, the D810 earns our coveted Gold award.

The very fact that the D810 is still at the top of its class today, 2 years after it was released, really puts into perspective what a game-changer the D810 was when it was first released.

In fact, the article also said, "(the D810's) sensor noise floor is similar in performance to that in the 645Z. Indeed, we found it to match the 645Z's dynamic range in our real-world dynamic range shootout, beating even Sony's excellent a7R II, and handily crushing the Canon 5DSR."

So, again, Canon's brand new offering isn't as good as Nikon's elder FF camera in most respects, except "sensor size."

Jack

Well, if DPReview don't test the latest full frame offering from Canon the 1DX and 1DXmk2 then they're not going to be able to offer a balanced view are they? Quoting DPReview really isn't providing a conclusive argument when their own agenda is biased against one manufacturer: Canon.

Steve

John ­ Koerner
734 posts
Joined Jun 2011
San Dimas, CA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by John Koerner. 2 edits done in total.
May 28, 2016 17:15 |  #79
banned

LincsRP wrote in post #18022070 (external link)
DPReview has a grudge against Canon - have you seen a review of the 1DX with DPReview? No, I haven't either. DPReview got all snarled up with Canon a while back and some Nikon reviews tend to be a bit over zealous methinks.

Anything to make you sleep well I guess.

What's interesting is neither DP Review, SenScore, DxO Mark, Photozone, etc., etc. rates Canon cameras anywhere but "mediocre" ...

Either it's a "big conspiracy" ( :rolleyes: ) or maybe, just maybe, Canon cameras really are, in fact, mediocre.

Also, I am pretty sure there is no 1Dx review for the same reason it took them 2 years to do a D810 review ... limited time.

If you want to "doubt" every single camera-sensor testing forum there is, all of whom rate Canon sensors as mediocre, be my guest.

But the fact is Canon sensors have been behind the times for over 5 years.

Denial of reality isn't rebuttal; it is only denial.

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by LincsRP.
May 28, 2016 17:51 |  #80

John Koerner wrote in post #18022104 (external link)

What's interesting is neither DP Review, SenScore, DxO Mark, Photozone, etc., etc. rates Canon cameras anywhere but "mediocre" ...

Either it's a "big conspiracy" ( :rolleyes: ) or maybe, just maybe, Canon cameras really are, in fact, mediocre.

Also, I am pretty sure there is no 1Dx review for the same reason it took them 2 years to do a D810 review ... limited time.

If you want to "doubt" every single camera-sensor testing forum there is, all of whom rate Canon sensors as mediocre, be my guest.

My posting stands. If DPReview doesn't test the best that Canon provides your argument holds no water, Your're obviously hoping that others support you but unfortunately they don't. Trolling comes to mind ...

Steve

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,203 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
May 28, 2016 18:53 |  #81

LincsRP wrote in post #18022123 (external link)
My posting stands. If DPReview doesn't test the best that Canon provides your argument holds no water, Your're obviously hoping that others support you but unfortunately they don't. Trolling comes to mind ...

If you look at Dpreview's reviews, they clearly tend to favor consumer / pro-sumer bodies. The 80d was reviewed less than a month after the announced release, the 5Ds a few months after availability, the 750 and 760 also shortly after availability and looking at the Nikon/Sony bodies, it's not much different. If there is a bias, I don't see it.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

John ­ Koerner
734 posts
Joined Jun 2011
San Dimas, CA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by John Koerner. 2 edits done in total.
May 28, 2016 19:01 |  #82
banned

LincsRP wrote in post #18022123 (external link)

Excuse me, but your posting is wrong on every possible level.

DPReview does test Canon, they just fall short, every time:

The Canon 5DSr (external link) gets the Silver award.
The Canon 7D II (external link) gets the Silver award.
The Canon 80D (external link) gets the Silver award.

I am sorry if it hurts your feelings that Nikon gets all the Gold awards, but that is just the way it is :p

The Nikon D810 (external link) gets the Gold award.
The Nikon D500 (external link) gets the Gold award.
The Nikon D7100 (external link) gets the Gold award.

Why don't you just do this: show me ONE web comparison that favors a Canon camera over a Nikon camera :oops:

Can't do that, can you? ;-)a

DPReview, DxO Mark, SenScore, et al, show Canon floundering in the middle :oops:

The simple fact is there are ZERO web review platforms that rate Canon bodies as "number one" ... ZERO.

Again, denial of reality isn't rebuttal; it is only denial.

John ­ Koerner
734 posts
Joined Jun 2011
San Dimas, CA
May 28, 2016 19:11 |  #83
banned

LincsRP wrote in post #18022077 (external link)
Well, if DPReview don't test the latest full frame offering from Canon the 1DX and 1DXmk2 then they're not going to be able to offer a balanced view are they? Quoting DPReview really isn't providing a conclusive argument when their own agenda is biased against one manufacturer: Canon.

I will bet you a million dollars to a penny that DPReview will make a review on both the Nikon D5 and the Canon 1Dx2.

In fact they have already made a minor comparison between the Nikon D5 and the Canon 1Dx2 (external link):

"In the end, we saw firsthand the advantages of a ridiculous burst rate and practically bottomless buffer while shooting objects that move very, very fast. We saw that the 1D X Mark II shoots at a noticeably higher burst rate than the D5, and that it is able to track subjects noticeably better than other Canon cameras, including the EOS 7D Mark II and original 1D X. However, the Canon still can't match the Nikon's uncanny ability to track objects reliably and accurately as they progress across the frame while also coming toward or moving away from the camera. Regardless, both are impressively capable photographic machines worthy of professional sports photographers."

Translation: The Canon will again fire-off more shots that wind up in the Recycle Bin, while the Nikon will steadily fire-off keepers.

Jack

aladyforty
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
Albany: Western Australia
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by aladyforty.
May 28, 2016 20:58 |  #84

John Koerner wrote in post #18021919 (external link)
Agree with your point, but actually it isn't "all" about the skill of the shooter.

There are challenging conditions where equipment means the difference.

You can't take a 4x magnification shot without the equipment to do so.

I remember one Canon Explorer of Light saying, "Shots like this were not possible," until he got the 1Dx (he was referring to high ISO shots of spirit bears).

So, yes, equipment does matter, as does photographer skill.

Again, we are in a GEAR forum.

If you don't want to discuss gear, then you should probably go to the brand-agnostic IMAGE forums.

But I am pretty sure were are in the "Camera vs. Camera" section, so comparing the differences in cameras *is* the appropriate topic of discussion here ;-)a

And when you compare the capabilities of the Nikon D500 to the Canon 7D II, there is no comparison.

The D500 is The Standard to which all other APS-C cameras now have to aspire.

Never said gear should not be discussed however it seems to go over the top in these forums at times. Yes newer gear makes life easier but really could you pick which camera took what in the end product, probably not. What does surprise me is why if Nikon are so much better do pro wildlife photographers continue to use Canon and for that matter some are actually using 7DII as their second or backup and getting seriously amazing results

5DIII 7DII Fuji X100 Fuji X10 17-40L 135L 70-200F4ISL Tamron 150-600
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com​/photos/25426422@N00/ (external link)
Birding page (archives cant add to them, lost password) https://www.flickr.com​/photos/59111660@N08/ (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,203 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
May 28, 2016 22:17 |  #85

aladyforty wrote in post #18022233 (external link)
...What does surprise me is why if Nikon are so much better do pro wildlife photographers continue to use Canon and for that matter some are actually using 7DII as their second or backup and getting seriously amazing results

Canon still has the advantage in long white lenses.
800mm 12k to 16.5k
600mm 10k to 12.5k

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

PeterAlex7
156 posts
Joined Dec 2015
May 29, 2016 04:30 |  #86

John Koerner wrote in post #18022104 (external link)

Canon sensor mediocre, for you. At least they used their own sensor. Not toshiba's, or sony's :-P

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
May 29, 2016 06:23 |  #87

John Koerner wrote in post #18022162 (external link)
I will bet you a million dollars to a penny that DPReview will make a review on both the Nikon D5 and the Canon 1Dx2.

In fact they have already made a minor comparison between the Nikon D5 and the Canon 1Dx2 (external link):

"In the end, we saw firsthand the advantages of a ridiculous burst rate and practically bottomless buffer while shooting objects that move very, very fast. We saw that the 1D X Mark II shoots at a noticeably higher burst rate than the D5, and that it is able to track subjects noticeably better than other Canon cameras, including the EOS 7D Mark II and original 1D X. However, the Canon still can't match the Nikon's uncanny ability to track objects reliably and accurately as they progress across the frame while also coming toward or moving away from the camera. Regardless, both are impressively capable photographic machines worthy of professional sports photographers."

Translation: The Canon will again fire-off more shots that wind up in the Recycle Bin, while the Nikon will steadily fire-off keepers.

Jack

Jack, I get it: you're pro Nikon. But you're shoving this stuff about gold and solver awards down our necks a trifle frequent. Neither DPReview or the others testing this kit are me and you. You and me probably know how to better set a Canon or Nikon up than a tester who, as you pointed out, has limited time.

Even regular pro-shooters have CF cards supplied to them to pre-set their new cameras with settings the manufacturers provide to enable them to be ready to go from the off. As I said earlier on DPReview had a spat with Canon some few years ago and after the 1Div they don't seemed to have touched the 1DX.

I stand alongside at some events a lot of shooters from both camps and not one of them can call the best or either Canon or Nikon. Those are the people I trust, those who shoot all day and everyday not some tester who's just opened the box and has a deadline to get it to the masses before their competitors do.

Oh, and half of the rants made by some about 7D2 focussing in the early days were those who found the AF so complex they had to eventually go and read the instruction book.

In DPReviews test of the Canon 1Div they didn't mention it had auto-ISO. A big deal by a lot of users so maybe if they had 'discovered it' maybe it would have won double Gold Stars with bells and whistles on?

:-D

Steve

aladyforty
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
Albany: Western Australia
May 29, 2016 06:52 |  #88

LincsRP wrote in post #18022491 (external link)
Jack, I get it: you're pro Nikon. But you're shoving this stuff about gold and solver awards down our necks a trifle frequent. Neither DPReview or the others testing this kit are me and you. You and me probably know how to better set a Canon or Nikon up than a tester who, as you pointed out, has limited time.

Even regular pro-shooters have CF cards supplied to them to pre-set their new cameras with settings the manufacturers provide to enable them to be ready to go from the off. As I said earlier on DPReview had a spat with Canon some few years ago and after the 1Div they don't seemed to have touched the 1DX.

I stand alongside at some events a lot of shooters from both camps and not one of them can call the best or either Canon or Nikon. Those are the people I trust, those who shoot all day and everyday not some tester who's just opened the box and has a deadline to get it to the masses before their competitors do.

Oh, and half of the rants made by some about 7D2 focussing in the early days were those who found the AF so complex they had to eventually go and read the instruction book.

In DPReviews test of the Canon 1Div they didn't mention it had auto-ISO. A big deal by a lot of users so maybe if they had 'discovered it' maybe it would have won double Gold Stars with bells and whistles on?

:-D

I read a review on 7DII a while back by someone testing it who obvioulsy did not like the camera to start with, all his photos were out of focus and he blamed the camera. Unless he got a lemon Id assume he had no idea of how to set up the focus. Another review was by some journalist type who shot sports for newspaper, she did not like the photos because she preferred full frame and was trying to compare to 1DX! So I seriously wonder about some so called reviewers. I tend to go by photographers whom I follow online who get a camera and test it soundly, and in a fair manner. Lucky for me I did not listen to the reviews on the 7DII dynamic range blah blah blah. Ive had mine over a year and its been tack sharp and low in noise since the first day out of the box. I dont expect full frame quality from a crop, a friend uses the D7000 she is a great photographer but to be honest there is nothing about her camera that would make me change brands, my images are just a sharp and colourful. sure the new Nikon will be great but it IS two years newer. Ive never had issues with Dynamic range either, I went canon for the L primes, nothing more nothing less plus I cant stand Nikons ergonomics, everyone will have their preference though

5DIII 7DII Fuji X100 Fuji X10 17-40L 135L 70-200F4ISL Tamron 150-600
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com​/photos/25426422@N00/ (external link)
Birding page (archives cant add to them, lost password) https://www.flickr.com​/photos/59111660@N08/ (external link)

John ­ Koerner
734 posts
Joined Jun 2011
San Dimas, CA
May 29, 2016 10:17 |  #89
banned

gjl711 wrote in post #18022273 (external link)
Canon still has the advantage in long white lenses.
800mm 12k to 16.5k
600mm 10k to 12.5k

Advantage?

Nikon and Canon's 600mm are equal-quality, while Nikon's 800 is marginally-superior in specs.

Of the Top 10 ultra-primes (external link) made (specs-wise), Nikon makes 4 of them, with Canon, Leica, and Zeiss only making 2 apiece.

Of the bottom 20, worst primes, Canon lenses comprise 10 of them, Sony 7, while Nikon only makes 1 of the lowest-end primes.

How is this a Canon advantage?

John ­ Koerner
734 posts
Joined Jun 2011
San Dimas, CA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by John Koerner.
May 29, 2016 10:19 |  #90
banned

PeterAlex7 wrote in post #18022463 (external link)
Canon sensor mediocre, for you. At least they used their own sensor. Not toshiba's, or sony's :-P

If making your own, and having it be inferior, is what you're after I guess.

Sony makes the best sensors, so Nikon shows a commitment to quality by utilizing them, whereas Canon is willing to forsake quality to its consumers to save a buck.

Furthermore, where Nikon destroys both Canon and Sony is in the Auto-Focus department, which is all Nikon-make.

sponsored links

19,896 views & 66 likes for this thread
Nikons new D500 vs the Canon 7DII
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.