Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 May 2016 (Monday) 10:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Makeup overdone?

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,232 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

May 30, 2016 10:14 |  #1

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

This a shot of a young gray seal in rehab at the Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research & Preservation. It's meant for their "adoption" program. I asked them if they curled the eyelashes in pre-shoot makeup. They swore that they didn't.

This lady's tale is not as bad as others. There are a few with "pink necklaces" who were entangled in discarded fishing gear that cuts through fur, skin, and blubber to the flesh. (They recover well after being disentangled from their garrotes.) In this case, otherwise healthy, she picked an unfortunate location to haul out for a nap. A beach in the Hamptons. She had to be taken in for her own protection after a sustained assault by beach goers who judged that the self-aggrandizement of the selfie was more important than the well-being of a wild animal. Or maybe it was for the benefit of the humans. Although looking quite innocent, this species can be particularly hostile and aggressive and has a mouth full of bear-like teeth.

Perhaps a moment of self-reflection is worth taking. Am I as a photographer also exploiting this critter for my own benefit? Where do we draw the line?

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,194 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 30, 2016 18:20 |  #2

joedlh wrote in post #18023626 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by joedlh in
./showthread.php?p=180​23626&i=i193775481
forum: General Photography Talk

this species can be particularly hostile and aggressive and has a mouth full of bear-like teeth.

...it should've attacked those idiots, but then again, our idiotic society would've shot this animal for naturally protecting itself!!!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,293 views & 2 likes for this thread
Makeup overdone?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.