Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 29 May 2016 (Sunday) 01:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1DX Mark II spot metering on AF point

ross.thomas
Joined Feb 2016
May 29, 2016 01:14 |  #1

Hey guys, quick question for those of you with the 1DX Mark II. I set my active AF point to meter when in spot metering. I typically place it on a forehead or under an eye when I used to used the center spot area to spot meter. Now when I attempt to use the AF point to do the same thing on someone's face, the camera seems to want to underexpose my at least a stop. What am I doing wrong here? So u typically have to attempt to over expose what the meter says is right by about a stop in order to get an accurate exposure when spot metering. But if I move the AF point back to the center, it spot meters perfectly! User error I'm assuming? I know I've successfully activated the feature, but is there a second step?

Ross Thomas
RossThomasPhotography.​com (external link)
https://facebook.com/r​ossthomasphotography (external link)
http://thebrotographer​.com (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,609 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
May 31, 2016 02:34 |  #2

Just so I understand you correctly: You are saying that spot metering on the face, using a metering point in the center, works fine, but the same spot metering on the face, using a metering point off center, fails? Thus you are doing exactly the same thing, just with the spot metering point being in different places?

I don't have any 1DX mark II, but I know the metering has changed from the 1DX. I've not seen this issue much with my 1DX, but I haven't used spot metering linked to an AF point very much either.
It's something else that I could assume that metering on a face, if it's a caucasian, could render a result that may be a bit too bright, thus render an underexposed photo, but I don't see any particular reason why it would be different depending on the location of the metering point. Are you using the standard focusing screen?

Anders

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
May 31, 2016 02:51 |  #3

ross.thomas wrote in post #18022376 (external link)
Hey guys, quick question for those of you with the 1DX Mark II. I set my active AF point to meter when in spot metering. I typically place it on a forehead or under an eye when I used to used the center spot area to spot meter. Now when I attempt to use the AF point to do the same thing on someone's face, the camera seems to want to underexpose my at least a stop. What am I doing wrong here? So u typically have to attempt to over expose what the meter says is right by about a stop in order to get an accurate exposure when spot metering. But if I move the AF point back to the center, it spot meters perfectly! User error I'm assuming? I know I've successfully activated the feature, but is there a second step?

I suspect (but don't know for certain) that the AF-spots are smaller than the centre-spot. (Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but spot metering will only give you the correct exposure if you point it at something with 18% reflectance. Otherwise you have to make a call as to where you want to place the metered tone in the exposure range. +1 stop off of skin tones sounds about right).

flickr (external link)

ross.thomas
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2016
May 31, 2016 18:36 |  #4

Scott_online wrote in post #18024602 (external link)
I suspect (but don't know for certain) that the AF-spots are smaller than the centre-spot. (Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but spot metering will only give you the correct exposure if you point it at something with 18% reflectance. Otherwise you have to make a call as to where you want to place the metered tone in the exposure range. +1 stop off of skin tones sounds about right).

Yes, the autofocus spot is definitely smaller than the center spot metering spot. I wonder if it is just metering off of only the autofocus point. Because when I meter on fairly light skin, it is Way off.

Ross Thomas
RossThomasPhotography.​com (external link)
https://facebook.com/r​ossthomasphotography (external link)
http://thebrotographer​.com (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,609 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Jun 01, 2016 01:19 |  #5

That could be expected, as stated above.

Anders

1,474 views & 0 likes for this thread
1DX Mark II spot metering on AF point
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.