Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras
Thread started 27 May 2015 (Wednesday) 18:49
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony A7x lounge

advaitin
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
The Fun Coast of Florida
Jun 01, 2016 09:06 |  #18376

Rayfo wrote in post #18025252 (external link)
Having found the 'On' switch on my new A7Rii, I thought I'd try a couple of low-light 'Vermeer-type' images.

Minolta MD 35-70 Macro 3.5 @ 60mm f8

Frugal lunch
NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Gamekeeper's pipe
NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Man, can we have a super-like button and/or a way to grade our likes for each image. Of course, I'd superlike both of these.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

sponsored links
advaitin
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
The Fun Coast of Florida
Jun 01, 2016 09:24 as a reply to post 18025529 |  #18377

Old habits die hard. I did a shoot of a birthday party as a favor. Like in olden days, instead of a couple of cameras and two zooms, I carried four cameras with a distinct bit of glass on each. By the end of the night I was forgetting which camera was set for what light and whether I had the video switched on or set for stills. I am too old for complications like that :)

I plan on a two camera, five lens, trip in November to Paris, so part of the usual bulk for wildlife won't be necessary. Everything will fit in my vest pockets. No tripod, no monopod. Just an umbrella with multiple capabilities (cane, weather protection and battering ram).

But I can't see how we will ever get away from carrying a big lens when going for wildlife.

davidfarina
Goldmember
Joined May 2013
Jun 01, 2016 09:45 |  #18378

advaitin wrote in post #18025801 (external link)
Old habits die hard. I did a shoot of a birthday party as a favor. Like in olden days, instead of a couple of cameras and two zooms, I carried four cameras with a distinct bit of glass on each. By the end of the night I was forgetting which camera was set for what light and whether I had the video switched on or set for stills. I am too old for complications like that :)

I plan on a two camera, five lens, trip in November to Paris, so part of the usual bulk for wildlife won't be necessary. Everything will fit in my vest pockets. No tripod, no monopod. Just an umbrella with multiple capabilities (cane, weather protection and battering ram).

But I can't see how we will ever get away from carrying a big lens when going for wildlife.

I was in paris about 10 times within the last 10 months and have always taken other combinations with me. What i found to be working best there, was the CV15 and the Leica 50. everything else i took was simply not suiting the city. I even went once with only the 50 summilux and came home with more keepers than on all other trips. Im really thinking that for city trips, i will now only take these two lenses with me with the A7RII. Its just so relieving to walk around with two small primes all day long. And by starting to restrict to just one or two lenses you start viewing your environment in those points of view which may or may not lead to much more interesting pictures. It did, at least for me

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

advaitin
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
The Fun Coast of Florida
Jun 01, 2016 10:03 |  #18379

davidfarina wrote in post #18025816 (external link)
I was in paris about 10 times within the last 10 months and have always taken other combinations with me. What i found to be working best there, was the CV15 and the Leica 50. everything else i took was simply not suiting the city. I even went once with only the 50 summilux and came home with more keepers than on all other trips. Im really thinking that for city trips, i will now only take these two lenses with me with the A7RII. Its just so relieving to walk around with two small primes all day long. And by starting to restrict to just one or two lenses you start viewing your environment in those points of view which may or may not lead to much more interesting pictures. It did, at least for me

Wow, just those two. My plan was to bring the M240 with CV 21mm, 35mm, 50mm and Leica 90mm, plus the Sony a7S and Sony 24-240mm as backup/lens alternate, since the Sony can use the other lenses via adapters.

So, the 15mm worked well? Do you have a link for those images? I do have both a CV 12mm f5.6 and ZM 15mm f2.8. I really hadn't thought of ultrawide cityscapes, but found that 12mm worked very nicely in Spain in 2014.

davidfarina
Goldmember
Joined May 2013
Jun 01, 2016 10:14 |  #18380

advaitin wrote in post #18025829 (external link)
Wow, just those two. My plan was to bring the M240 with CV 21mm, 35mm, 50mm and Leica 90mm, plus the Sony a7S and Sony 24-240mm as backup/lens alternate, since the Sony can use the other lenses via adapters.

So, the 15mm worked well? Do you have a link for those images? I do have both a CV 12mm f5.6 and ZM 15mm f2.8. I really hadn't thought of ultrawide cityscapes, but found that 12mm worked very nicely in Spain in 2014.

Remember that black and white series of la defence that you can see in my gallery? Those were all shot with the CV15. I must say, really depends on what youre shooting but i think 5 lenses is a bit overkill. I think the CV12 might also work instead of the CV15. You definitely want to bring an ultrawide for all the small and charming alleys. Tbh i never felt the need for anything between 15 and 50mm. Maybe at some occassions i felt like the FE28 would have been a good lens to have with me for interior portraits where 50 is too long and 15 not suited because of distortion. But other than that... The only time id think of using something longer than 50mm would be for compressed shots of champs elysees and the arc de triompe or if you do people street candids...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from davidfarina's gallery.
HOSTED PHOTO
HOSTED PHOTO
HOSTED PHOTO

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Jun 01, 2016 10:34 |  #18381

Puckman wrote in post #18025592 (external link)
Here you go. Give this one a try.

https://www.dropbox.co​m ...i408v57/DSC00032.AR​W?dl=0 (external link)

Heres my effort -

HOSTED PHOTO

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
x100F | α7R II
Voigtlander 4.5/15 | Loxia 2.8/21 | Samyang 1.4/24 | Zeiss 4.5-5.6/100-300
Sony 2/28 | Sony/Zeiss 1.8/55 | Sony 2.8/90

advaitin
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
The Fun Coast of Florida
Jun 01, 2016 10:45 |  #18382

davidfarina wrote in post #18025841 (external link)
Remember that black and white series of la defence that you can see in my gallery? Those were all shot with the CV15. I must say, really depends on what youre shooting but i think 5 lenses is a bit overkill. I think the CV12 might also work instead of the CV15. You definitely want to bring an ultrawide for all the small and charming alleys. Tbh i never felt the need for anything between 15 and 50mm. Maybe at some occassions i felt like the FE28 would have been a good lens to have with me for interior portraits where 50 is too long and 15 not suited because of distortion. But other than that... The only time id think of using something longer than 50mm would be for compressed shots of champs elysees and the arc de triompe or if you do people street candids...

Holy Cow!
You have a good point.
Probably because the Summarit 90mm is new and I have not played with it enough, I put it on the list. It does put you just far enough away to not catch the attention of people in group interactions.
I'd have to swallow hard to cut down to two lenses, especially when I think of the qualities of the CV 35mm Nokton.

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from advaitin's gallery.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Puckman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,219 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2013
Yorba Linda, CA
Jun 01, 2016 11:05 |  #18383

Nice first 2 efforts Gene and Eddie.

You guys managed to pull out more contrast and color from those files than I did. I was really struggling with that one last night to get any kind of contrast without ruining the pier into a blob of darkness.

Eddie, would appreciate if you shared what you did, like Gene did, so I can learn from it :)

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by mystik610.
Jun 01, 2016 11:09 |  #18384

Speaking of too many lenses...I packed my bag for Disney y'day.

RX1RII, a7rII, Batis 25, 85 GM, nissin i40. Throwing the Loxia 21 in there too...since its so small. Stuffed it all into a peak design everyday messenger with my macbook, ipad, and tripod. Probably overkill. I probably only need the RX1....oh well.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

bpaulette
Joined Oct 2009
Kansas City, USA
Jun 01, 2016 11:18 |  #18385

Here's another take. Quick Lightroom-only tweaks, no filters, mostly just adjustment brushes. Might be "a bit much". I ran this one through before moving on in the thread to see the other 2 takes on the pic (didn't want them to influence me - figured there would be many more by now). The great thing about shots like this though, is that there's really no "wrong way" to process it. Just different directions you could go.

HOSTED PHOTO

- BP -
---------------
Sony A7R II | Sonnar FE 55 | Zeiss Batis 85 | FE 90 Macro G | Metabones IV
24L II | 85L II | 135L | 24-105L | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 40-Shorty | Bower 14mm | Rokkor 58mm f/1.2

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,057 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by David Arbogast. 5 edits done in total.
Jun 01, 2016 11:19 |  #18386

OK, here is my effort. While I also wish to coax out more overall contrast from the scene, my concept is to lead the eye through the image to the end of the pier, which is my focal point. To do this I wanted more brightness, saturation, and clarity on the right side of the image and then darkening to the right. This, I think, helps an otherwise flat looking scene ("flat" in regards to perspective converging lines) have a more dynamic tonal movement.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

David | Flickr (external link)

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
5,541 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Texas
Jun 01, 2016 11:31 |  #18387

Those edits are looking very nice guys. I thought this blog post by Erin would be useful for us all. David touched on some aspects of what Erin writes about: creating mood, directing the viewer through the image, etc.

http://www.photocascad​ia.com/blog/ (external link)

Sony α7R II / ILCE-7RM2, α6000 / ILCE-6000 | Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA | Carl Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8, Loxia 85mm F2.4, Batis 18mm F2.8 | Voigtlander Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 | Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro |

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Jun 01, 2016 11:42 |  #18388

Puckman wrote in post #18025882 (external link)
Nice first 2 efforts Gene and Eddie.

You guys managed to pull out more contrast and color from those files than I did. I was really struggling with that one last night to get any kind of contrast without ruining the pier into a blob of darkness.

Eddie, would appreciate if you shared what you did, like Gene did, so I can learn from it :)

I imported into lightroom initially, changed the aspect to 16x10 and then made the changes shown below -

HOSTED PHOTO
HOSTED PHOTO

After that I added a graduated filter to the sky and increased the clarity to the clouds only and then added a local brush adjustment to the white part of the water and increased the clarity. I then exported to photoshop and ran it through colour efex pro using the pro contrast filter. My settings were 0% on the top slider 13% on the middle and 29% on the bottom.

Finally I ran my photoshop action that resizes to 1280 wide and adds the black borders. The last step in the process was to run an unsharp mask (100%, 0.3 radius, 0 threshold)

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
x100F | α7R II
Voigtlander 4.5/15 | Loxia 2.8/21 | Samyang 1.4/24 | Zeiss 4.5-5.6/100-300
Sony 2/28 | Sony/Zeiss 1.8/55 | Sony 2.8/90

Puckman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,219 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Yorba Linda, CA
Jun 01, 2016 11:56 |  #18389

Interesting that you use the LR camera calibration panel. I almost never use that. I find the Sony A7RII options to be overly saturated and with too much yellow, generally, so I tend to start with the Adobe Standard and go from there.
Anyone else use these?

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

Rayfo
Joined Jan 2014
London, UK
Jun 01, 2016 12:00 |  #18390

advaitin wrote in post #18025785 (external link)
Man, can we have a super-like button and/or a way to grade our likes for each image. Of course, I'd superlike both of these.

Thank you very much, advaitin! I really do appreciate that.

Sony A7Rii | FE 4 16-35 ZA OSS | FE 2.8 35 | FE 24-240 |OM Zuiko 24 2.8 | MD 50 1.7 l MD 35-70 MACRO 3.5 | MD 135 2.8 4x4 | Sigma 150-600 (C) | MC-11
Sony A5100 | PZ 16-50 | E 2.8 20 | Sony rx100iii
EOS 6d | EOS 40 STM | EOS ST-E 90 | Sigma 105 EX DG Macro | Sigma 150 EX DG Macro | FD 300 2.8L
http://www.rayfophotog​raphy.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,882,279 views & 33330 likes for this thread
Sony A7x lounge
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.