Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 19 Jun 2015 (Friday) 04:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5DS and 5DSR PHOTO THREAD

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,246 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Jun 04, 2016 21:40 |  #781

I'm finding the crop feature interesting. The manual explains it but it always helps to have the camera in hand. If I select 1.6 crop the area around that crop in the viewfinder greys out. Only the 1.6 crop area is recorded. Does this mean that frame will only produce a 19.6 megapixel file? I find the manual kind of explains it backwards or maybe I just don't understand masking. If so does anyone use this feature?

I can't find any reference to how to cancel out the AA filter in the manual's index.

Thanks in advance.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,139 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Jun 04, 2016 22:15 |  #782

digital paradise wrote in post #18029373 (external link)
I can't find any reference to how to cancel out the AA filter in the manual's index.

Thanks in advance.

The 5DS R has an AA (low-pass) cancellation filter fixed/built-in...which means the camera is always cancelling the AA filter and you can't change it even if you wanted to. Nothing for you to do. :)

David | Flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,246 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by digital paradise.
Jun 04, 2016 22:23 |  #783

David Arbogast wrote in post #18029410 (external link)
The 5DS R has an AA (low-pass) cancellation filter fixed/built-in...which means the camera is always cancelling the AA filter and you can't change it even if you wanted to. Nothing for you to do. :)

That is very cool. So it decides when to do this. Interesting. I assumed there was a menu but this is better. Any documentation on it? I'll do some hunting. Thanks.

Image Editing OK

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,139 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Jun 04, 2016 22:44 |  #784

digital paradise wrote in post #18029412 (external link)
That is very cool. So it decides when to do this. Interesting. I assumed there was a menu but this is better. Any documentation on it? I'll do some hunting. Thanks.

No, it's a fixed low-pass cancellation filter...there is no deciding. The 5DS R is incapable of not cancelling the AA filter. For all practical purposes, just regard the 5DS R as having no AA filter at all.

David | Flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,246 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Jun 04, 2016 22:59 |  #785

David Arbogast wrote in post #18029431 (external link)
No, it's a fixed low-pass cancellation filter...there is no deciding. The 5DS R is incapable of not cancelling the AA filter. For all practical purposes, just regard the 5DS R as having no AA filter at all.

OK. Even better. I have always thought of sending in one my cameras to have it removed but never got around to it. I guess I could have researched that a little more but that is what I want and would have still ordered it. I guess an AA filler you could turn on or off would physically not work. Thanks for the info. I'm anticipating the clarity this camera will give me.

Image Editing OK

thenextguy
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Jun 04, 2016 23:43 |  #786

digital paradise wrote in post #18028809 (external link)
Very nice shots everyone. How many of you needed to buy a new computer to handle 50 megapixels.

Well, I bought a new computer around the time I bought my 5Ds R, but mainly because I was due for one.

I'm running a i7-6700K and 32 GB of RAM. It pretty much handles those files with ease. Even having multiple files open or tons of layers.

So I would imagine you could get by with something less powerful.

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,246 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Jun 05, 2016 00:12 |  #787

clipper_from_oz wrote in post #17809958 (external link)
final one......and I still think back to all those reviewers of the 5dsr when it came out who said that this camera would struggle with moving /handheld subjects like wildlife and sports ..

Clipper
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by clipper_from_oz in
./showthread.php?p=178​09958&i=i175514043
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Good because I just bought one and I have that lens and the 1.4 III.

Image Editing OK

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Jun 05, 2016 00:47 |  #788

digital paradise wrote in post #18029373 (external link)
I'm finding the crop feature interesting. The manual explains it but it always helps to have the camera in hand. If I select 1.6 crop the area around that crop in the viewfinder greys out. Only the 1.6 crop area is recorded. Does this mean that frame will only produce a 19.6 megapixel file? I find the manual kind of explains it backwards or maybe I just don't understand masking. If so does anyone use this feature?

Thanks in advance.

Entire file is recorded unfortunately so no space saving. Load file into LR and hit Reset while in Crop tool.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,246 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Jun 05, 2016 01:10 |  #789

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #18029530 (external link)
Entire file is recorded unfortunately so no space saving. Load file into LR and hit Reset while in Crop tool.

I had a feeling that would be the case. NP.

Image Editing OK

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,236 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Jun 05, 2016 08:37 |  #790

digital paradise wrote in post #18029441 (external link)
OK. Even better. I have always thought of sending in one my cameras to have it removed but never got around to it. I guess I could have researched that a little more but that is what I want and would have still ordered it. I guess an AA filler you could turn on or off would physically not work. Thanks for the info. I'm anticipating the clarity this camera will give me.

No AA filter at all would give a lot more aliasing. The self-cancelling design diffuses light a tiny bit more than no AA filter at all would.

I think that this is a better choice than no AA filter at all for pixels this large, with available lenses that are diffraction-limited at f/2 or so.

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Melbourne Australia
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by clipper_from_oz. 4 edits done in total.
Jun 05, 2016 10:09 |  #791

digital paradise wrote in post #18028809 (external link)
Very nice shots everyone. How many of you needed to buy a new computer to handle 50 megapixels.

Im one of them that needed a new computer because of the size of the 5dsr RAW files....In August last year my older(only 3 years old) Macbook Pro was struggling so bad I upgraded to the highest spec Macbook Pro that was availible in order to cope with these files ....However even with upgrade Lightroom with the 5dsr files is still struggling! ....The moment I go past 4-5 tool brush edits on same image it slows terribly and I end up having to export it to PS wher it then is ok to continue . And thats a slow down with a new top of the line Macbook Pro . Only reason I live with it with the PS workaround is I think its adobe issue rather than the Mac and hopefully the more large resolution sensor cameras released will push ADobe to fix this large file processing slowdown in next major Lightroom upgrade ....

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Clipper
5DSR,5DMkII,Fuji XPRO1,X-T1&X-T20,Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
Fujinon XF18mmf2, XF35mmf1.4, XF60mm f2, XF18-55f2.8-4.5, XF55-200f4
Rodenstock, Sinar& Nikkor LF lens for Pano (75,95,150+210mm)
flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,246 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Jun 05, 2016 10:21 |  #792

clipper_from_oz wrote in post #18029791 (external link)
Im one of them that needed a new computer because of the size of the 5dsr RAW files....In August last year my older(only 3 years old) Macbook Pro was struggling so bad I upgraded to the highest spec Macbook Pro that was availible in order to cope with these files ....However even with upgrade Lightroom with the 5dsr files is still struggling! ....The moment I go past 4-5 tool brush edits on same image it slows terribly and I end up having to export it to PS wher it then is ok to continue . And thats a slow down with a new top of the line Macbook Pro . Only reason I live with it with the PS workaround is I think its adobe issue rather than the Mac and hopefully the more large resolution sensor cameras released will push ADobe to fix this large file processing slowdown in next major Lightroom upgrade ....
./showthread.php?p=180​29791&i=i16940200

Thanks for the info.

Image Editing OK

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Melbourne Australia
Jun 05, 2016 10:21 |  #793

A couple of 5dsr images from today

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Clipper
5DSR,5DMkII,Fuji XPRO1,X-T1&X-T20,Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
flickr (external link)

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Melbourne Australia
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by clipper_from_oz.
Jun 05, 2016 10:31 |  #794

and final one from today is of a spotted crake .

HOSTED PHOTO

Clipper
flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,246 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Jun 05, 2016 11:02 |  #795

clipper_from_oz wrote in post #18029815 (external link)
A couple of 5dsr images from today
./showthread.php?p=180​29815&i=i72312847
./showthread.php?p=180​29815&i=i229662490

I have been reading quite a bit about this body. I have a bit of a resolution vs reach vs the best AF system out there dilemma. I shot with a 7D for 6 years and have been shooting with a 7D2 since 2014. I was thinking it was time for an AF upgrade. Not that I'm struggling. It is just time for something new.

The 1DX II has the AF I want however it is only 20 megapixels. The best I'll be able to do is 400mm (100-400 II) and a 1.4 III for now. I have no issues using the 1.4 III fir BIF but prefer not to. Too many fun focusing option to play around with on my 7D2.

So reach is an issue as I won't see a 500 or 600mm lens in the near future. I know the 5DSR can resolve and crop well. I'm not afraid of heavy cropping. I actually enjoy it as a personal challenge I quickly went through all the posts in this thread and there were concerns about micro blur shooting BIF. I'm not good at math but I did a little and I'm not sure how much difference there is between 20 megapixels on a crop vs 50 on a FF. I see you posting quite a few very sharp BIF. Very nice work.

I have read the initial AF is fast and accurate but subsequent bursts are not so good. Not sure if that means it does not track well or 5 FPS is too slow. I came across this video. FYI I am very comfortable with the Case numbers, etc.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=_o2OGTVEVB0 (external link)

So here is the summary. I have used two bodies for years. Currently my other cam is a 5D3. I will no longer be shooting event photography and for travel I want to go to 1 body so I'm looking for a cam that does it all. I would like it to be a FF. I own a 24-0 II and will get a WA for landscapes.

I don't need 14 perfect tack sharp images. As hobbyist I just need to come home with a handful to work with. So I am convinced initial AF is fast and accurate but I'm getting mixed information about tracking accuracy.

Now that you have a better idea of what I'm trying to accomplish any input would be very helpful. If anyone else wants to comment please do.

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

489,567 views & 4356 likes for this thread
5DS and 5DSR PHOTO THREAD
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.