Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk
Thread started 22 Jul 2014 (Tuesday) 19:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Dog pound photography

Prometheus_01
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Miami Beach
Feb 24, 2015 14:50 |  #16

I've been thinking about doing this as well in my local shelter. Great idea btw!

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 40D | Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS | Canon EF 24-70mm 2.8L | Canon 50mm 1.4

HappyShotz
Joined Jul 2014
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by HappyShotz.
Dec 15, 2015 09:54 |  #17

I did this weekly for a couple of months at a local shelter, and while it is very fulfilling and does indeed help get more adopted, it is a LOT of work and can be heartbreaking because, no matter how pretty or appealing you may make them, not all get adopted. I shot an average of 30 or so dogs each session, we used treats, toys, some props, and lot of volunteers to bring the dogs in and out of the shelter for their "photo session". Then comes the post processing -- sorting through all the pictures to choose the one that best showcases the dog (most dogs had multiple photos b/c they were anxious, scared, wouldn't look at the camera even with treats/toys, constantly moving, etc.); removing the leash, cleaning up the picture, bringing out the shine in the dogs' eyes, cropping, adding the dog's name and ID number to the photo, resizing and then submitting to the shelter.

Lat
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Dallas
May 25, 2016 12:08 |  #18

Great thread! Inspirational way to help the displaced and community! Post processing will make it more like work, for sure. Kudos!!!

the ­ lazy ­ destroyer
Joined Jan 2016
Woodstock GA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by the lazy destroyer.
Jun 04, 2016 12:20 |  #19

I would grab a couple extra lens UV filters just to keep on hand in case you get close or a dog randomly licks while the camera is at your side while you are doing anything. I'd imagine a good slobbery lick would make me swap filters than try to clean it while there.

Also, just be mindful of the dogs temperament especially if you can only take pics in the confined area they might be in, or you are using flashes. Some dogs are weird about cameras/flash, which can lead to nervousness. If one nips at you while you are close or trying to position the dog or equipment, it can be bad news for the dog as some places have a zero aggression tolerance :(
I know that last one sounds kinda obvious but sometimes doing photography can be overwhelming and you might not pick up warning signs of their nervousness.

Canon EOS 7D, EOS 7D Mark II | Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD ASP IF | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

waylandcool
Joined Jun 2007
Far NW Suburbs of Chicago
Jun 07, 2016 10:26 |  #20

I've been doing photography for a rescue for a while and I've had to shoot inside the kennel a few times, here's some things I've found.

Bring a flash and a difuser, there usually isn't enough room for much more lighting then that.

Use a wide angle zoom and leave the telephotos at home, there's generally not enough room between you and dog for long lenses.

I use a lens hood primarily to keep dogs off the UV filter because they will want to check it out. Bringing a couple of spares is a good idea.

Treats are very helpful to get there attention, especially if you can use the camera with one hand or can get a shelter worker to hold it.

7,672 views & 4 likes for this thread
Dog pound photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.