Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

smythie
I wasn't even trying
Joined Jun 2009
Sydney - Australia
Jun 10, 2016 03:25 |  #1276

It looks like it might be a case of when a file on the CFast card is read for a second, third or fourth time. Whether that be reading one of those subsequent times in the camera (connected to the computer through USB or Ethernet or even trying to process the raw inside the camera) or with the CFast card in the reader connected to a computer. Some of those who have mentioned not having experienced this corruption have mentioned that their workflow involves copying off the CFast card once to the processing or storage computer then not needing to read those same files off the CFast from that point onwards.

There has also been some speculation that a Mac OS reading the file the first or second time may be causing the corruption which has been supported to a small extent by the absence of people complaining of the problems using Windows machines. I'm not convinced on this score just yet as it just may be conincidence.

Gear List

sponsored links
LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Jun 10, 2016 03:51 |  #1277

smythie wrote in post #18034803 (external link)
It looks like it might be a case of when a file on the CFast card is read for a second, third or fourth time. Whether that be reading one of those subsequent times in the camera (connected to the computer through USB or Ethernet or even trying to process the raw inside the camera) or with the CFast card in the reader connected to a computer. Some of those who have mentioned not having experienced this corruption have mentioned that their workflow involves copying off the CFast card once to the processing or storage computer then not needing to read those same files off the CFast from that point onwards.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to leave their images on the flash card after connecting to a computer? Surely the idea of connecting to a computer is to load/save the images to that machine to then free up the space on the CFast of CF card?

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

smythie
I wasn't even trying
Joined Jun 2009
Sydney - Australia
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by smythie.
Jun 10, 2016 04:06 |  #1278

Sometimes I'm just being lazy and not formatting the card in camera after transferring off, some other times I've copied onto a tablet for quick processing for family and leave on the card for later transfer to the main storage computer. Other times I forget to format the card.

I'd be pretty annoyed if merely reading the file more than a couple of times causes file corruption, regardless of the card format

Disclaimer: I have a D4 (much as I'd love a 1DX2 from what I'm reading) so don't have first hand experience with CFast

Gear List

HKFEVER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2004
Hong Kong
Jun 10, 2016 05:12 as a reply to post 18034793 |  #1279

It is only drag and copy on the desktop. Doesn't involve any other program.

Some files are fine in the first place:
- Plug the CFast card in the reader.
- Br read OK.
- Then drag and copy into computer's HD.
- After copy, both copy (in CFast and In HD) are OK.
- Hrs or days later, try to re-check those files, then they show corrupted in the CFast.

The reasons that I do the re-check are:
1. Because I have to move between office and home computers.
2. Sometimes, I take more shoots (I didn't re-format the CFast), so need to plug in the CFast card and copy to HD.

Please comment.

HK Canon has around 10 people has similar issue. But can't figure what is going no.

HKFEVER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2004
Hong Kong
Jun 10, 2016 05:37 as a reply to smythie's post |  #1280

WIN 10 has the same corruption too.

I tried both Mac and Win 10.

Mac writes some hidden files.

Win 10 writes 2 hidden folders.

HKFEVER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2004
Hong Kong
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by HKFEVER.
Jun 10, 2016 05:41 |  #1281

smythie wrote in post #18034814 (external link)
Sometimes I'm just being lazy and not formatting the card in camera after transferring off, some other times I've copied onto a tablet for quick processing for family and leave on the card for later transfer to the main storage computer. Other times I forget to format the card.

I'd be pretty annoyed if merely reading the file more than a couple of times causes file corruption, regardless of the card format

Disclaimer: I have a D4 (much as I'd love a 1DX2 from what I'm reading) so don't have first hand experience with CFast

Correct, I have multi 1Ds body to 1DX body.
None of the CF card has corrupted file.
Most of the time I will keep the files in the card until I run out of cards (for that particular job or trip).

smythie
I wasn't even trying
Joined Jun 2009
Sydney - Australia
Jun 10, 2016 05:47 |  #1282

HKFEVER wrote in post #18034855 (external link)

Thanks for the correction

Gear List

sploo
premature adulation
2,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011
West Yorkshire, UK
Jun 10, 2016 06:30 |  #1283

HKFEVER wrote in post #18034855 (external link)

HKFEVER wrote in post #18034846 (external link)
It is only drag and copy on the desktop. Doesn't involve any other program.

Some files are fine in the first place:
- Plug the CFast card in the reader.
- Br read OK.
- Then drag and copy into computer's HD.
- After copy, both copy (in CFast and In HD) are OK.
- Hrs or days later, try to re-check those files, then they show corrupted in the CFast.

The reasons that I do the re-check are:
1. Because I have to move between office and home computers.
2. Sometimes, I take more shoots (I didn't re-format the CFast), so need to plug in the CFast card and copy to HD.

Please comment.

HK Canon has around 10 people has similar issue. But can't figure what is going no.

Between the file(s) being good on the CFast card and showing up as corrupted, have you used the card in the camera?

If not, then it would very much look like a problem with the cards (probably an internal controller or flash issue that causes occasional corruption when the card is accessed or written to). If it has been in the camera then there's a tiny chance it is the camera doing something "wrong" with the card.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

HKFEVER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2004
Hong Kong
Jun 10, 2016 06:45 |  #1284

sploo wrote in post #18034881 (external link)
Between the file(s) being good on the CFast card and showing up as corrupted, have you used the card in the camera?

If not, then it would very much look like a problem with the cards (probably an internal controller or flash issue that causes occasional corruption when the card is accessed or written to). If it has been in the camera then there's a tiny chance it is the camera doing something "wrong" with the card.

Yes, I used the card in between.

Today I found some Raw files (same files in CFast) in the CF was good before but corrupted afterward. So same files in CF and CFast got corrupted afterward.

I asked Canon that does the camera will sync CF and CFast somehow?

HKFEVER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2004
Hong Kong
Jun 10, 2016 07:54 |  #1285

Form Lexar 3600X 128GB:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/hkfever/image/163423930/large.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/hkfever/image/163423931/large.jpg

HKFEVER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2004
Hong Kong
Jun 10, 2016 07:59 |  #1286

I have 3 CFast readers:
- Sandisk raises card temp quick fast.
- Transcend is a bit cooler with card in it.
- Lexar is warm without card in.

dzaneh
Joined Aug 2009
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by dzaneh.
Jun 10, 2016 07:59 |  #1287

SQZ wrote in post #18034274 (external link)
I have been pondering the corrupt file issue with the 1DX Mark II and was wondering if the corruption happens when shooting RAW solely to the CFast card, or only when shooting Raw to the CFast while simultaneously shooting jpeg to the CF card?

I have only shot RAW...
but since I bought the new 128 Cfast Sandisk card I haven't experienced any problems downloading straight from camera or using the card reader that came with camera...I open directly into Lightroom...

stuff

Gadget-Guy
706 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Wolverton,Bucks.UK
Jun 10, 2016 08:02 |  #1288

Something different from while on holiday with the 1DX MKII,blend of three images using luminosity masks.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

The equipment you'll leave at home will be the equipment you'll need the most!
Murphy's Law

sploo
premature adulation
2,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011
West Yorkshire, UK
Jun 10, 2016 09:20 |  #1289

HKFEVER wrote in post #18034889 (external link)
Yes, I used the card in between.

Today I found some Raw files (same files in CFast) in the CF was good before but corrupted afterward. So same files in CF and CFast got corrupted afterward.

I asked Canon that does the camera will sync CF and CFast somehow?

So... you mean you're seeing corruption of files on the CF card too?

That's really odd. If that's the case it would point to the camera doing something strange.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Jun 10, 2016 09:44 as a reply to Gadget-Guy's post |  #1290

Outstanding.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links

885,216 views & 11816 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.