Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk
Thread started 09 Jun 2016 (Thursday) 16:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Advice for shooting a LOT of dogs

Shawn_BS
Joined Oct 2009
New Jersey
Jun 09, 2016 16:12 |  #1

Hello folks!

So, last week a home was raided in the town next to mine because the owners were hoarding over 270 dogs. The dogs were rescued and brought to the SPCA. I reached out to volunteer to shoot the dogs to help get them adopted.

The article is here if anyone is interested:
http://www.nj.com ...n_worst_hoarding_si​t.html (external link)

So after speaking with the lady at the agency, she said a lot of the dogs are still somewhat skiddish (understandably).

Any advice to help move things along? I know I won't be able to shoot all 270 dogs, but anything I could do to make the photoshoot easier for them would be great.

I'm bringing a white backdrop to shoot against, along with a flash, triggers, and I'm going to shoot tethered so I can process the photos there and give them a copy before I leave.

Thanks!

Canon EOS 7D, EOS 80D | Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini (2nd gen.) | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon Speedlite 580EX II, Dedicated flash ST-E2 controller

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Jun 09, 2016 21:17 |  #2

dont expect this to go quick, especially when those dogs are not used to human interaction. you are going to need some help, possibly 2 helpers, one of them being a shelter worker preferably. usually the shelter likes to wait at least a week to give themselves time to evaluate the animals for any health issues before they put them up for adoption. and it gives them time to acclimate the animals to people. you can tether, or simply upload the images to dropbox, onedrive etc. Personally, i wouldnt tether, there usually isnt enough room in shelters to safely do it, not with everything else you plan on bringing.

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

waylandcool
Joined Jun 2007
Far NW Suburbs of Chicago
Jun 10, 2016 13:03 |  #3

I do quite a bit of volunterr photography work for a rescue. 1 or 2 helpers is a big help, esp. if 1 can hold a treat over your head while you shoot. I also shoot in 3 or 4 shot bursts to make sure I get the look I want since the dogs heads are always moving.

Just be patient and be ready for a bunch of kick outs and you'll do fine.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,588 posts
Joined Nov 2005
San Diego County, California, USA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by RPCrowe. 3 edits done in total.
Jun 12, 2016 20:30 |  #4

Find a location that has a plain background or rig a background with some fabric or background material.

Use bounced flash if possible with a diffuser reflector.

Shoot from the dog's lever which means either getting your camera down to a small dog's eye level or getting the dog up to your level.

For small dogs, a large piece of fabric covering an office chair with arms makes quite a nice background.

I probably have 15 or twenty pieces of fabric for backgrounds. The background that I choose depends on the dog...

I use a show lead and have a helper to hold the dog. I clone out the lead...

Some dogs are receptive to treats others are interested in squeak toys...

I like to use a longer focal length to capture the image.

Ensure that the eyes are in focus above all else. I usually shoot at about f/4.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

1,426 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice for shooting a LOT of dogs
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.