Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 30 Apr 2016 (Saturday) 17:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sort of switched from Canon to Panasonic

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Apr 30, 2016 17:18 |  #1

All of my DSLR Canon equipment, tripod and my strobes are now gone with the exception of a Nissan flash for Canon. Replaced by a panasonic fz200 and canon sx60 (the wife's). I looked over my shooting for the past two years and realized that I was mainly using the 50D, external flash and a 28_75 lens. The rest of the stuff was in a bag or in a corner. Lights and tripod had not been used since moving to this place we are in now.

I picked up an fz200 and found that the 50D was now going unused. No the fz200 can't always replace the quality of the DSLR but it didn't seem to be an issue for me. My shooting needs have changed somewhere along the way.

So I sold it all. Sent the used fz200 in for a new one and scored major points with the Mrs buying her the Canon sx60 for her birthday and saying we can now do this together even if she only ever uses auto mode.

And I hate to tell canon this but after 30+ years of their product I am preferring another brand. The 2012 fz200 beats out that sx60 by a long shot.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

sponsored links
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
May 02, 2016 14:54 |  #2

I have the FZ1000 and it is an amazing camera. Enjoy your Panasonic:)

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

jtmiv
Joined Jan 2013
Harrisburg, PA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by jtmiv.
May 02, 2016 19:40 |  #3

Dear Joe,

Good for you Joe!

I wish I could take the plunge and sell off my DSLR's. I have and use an FZ200 and I recently picked up secondhand a Fuji Finepix S1 and an X10. They cover 95% of my needs.

I know full well that the image quality from the smaller sensors does not equal the image quality from most DSLR's but I can carry 24 to 1200mm worth of equivalent lenses in the bag I used to carry an EOS Elan and a couple of lenses a long time ago.

I'll never get a picture in National Geographic or Sports Illustrated and it's about time I quit thinking that I can. I like to take pictures of places I have been and things I have seen. I'm not an artist so I should quit pretending.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :-)

EOS Elan, EOS7NE, EOS 40D, EOS1DMK2, Canon 15-85 IS EF-S, Canon 28-80 USM, Canon 28-105f3.5/4.5 USM, Canon 70-210f3.5/4.5 USM, Canon 70-300f4.5/5.6 IS USM, Tamron 19-35f3.5/4.5, Tokina 80-400 ATX 11, Sigma 150-500 OS HSM, Promaster 7500DX, Benro A3580F

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
May 02, 2016 20:37 as a reply to jtmiv's post |  #4

Don't sell yourself short. I have been a writer (fiction) for over 20 years. I just got my first publication three years ago at age 53. Keep on if it is your goal. You may never get Nat Geo or Sports Illustrated swim suit issue, but they aren't the only things out there.

Now, my dream of relief pitcher for the Chicago Cubs never did come about.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

BB70Chevelle
344 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Jun 09, 2016 07:55 |  #5

I just did the same thing going from canon to Panasonic. With Canon I had a 7D and tamron 24-70 VC, 70-200VC, 100-400L but honestly 90% of the time it just sat in my closet in its pelican case not being used so eventually I just sold it off. I realized there was some situations where I miss having a camera and also found out my wife is pregnant so I decided to get back into the hobby but I wanted something with 4K video for when the babies come and to be smaller and lighter so I'll carry it more often and this switch accomplished that for me. Plus the fact that m43 lenses are much cheaper and offer things that I could have never afforded with Canon is a big plus. All of my new gear will arrive tomorrow so I'll get my first hands on with it and see just how well the gx85 can compare to my 7D.

Panasonic GX85, P12-32 F3.5-5.6, P25 F1.7, P42.5 F1.7

gfspencer
Joined Dec 2008
Jun 17, 2016 11:13 |  #6

I have both brands. I have a GX8 for travel when I want to keep the size of my gear down.

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

markd61
58 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Jun 18, 2016 16:18 |  #7

I still have all my Canon gear for my business but have added GX-7 and an FZ-1000.

Those two cameras are great fun and produce professional results within limits.
I use them when I need to be unobtrusive in meeting rooms.

The FZ-1000 is exceptionally versatile for me as I use fill flash a lot and the leaf shutter allows me to throw the flash a long way in bright sun.

I would love to ditch my Canon but some part of me just feels more comfortable with a beefy camera on the job. I also use the TS lenses a lot for architecture.

sponsored links

1,989 views & 6 likes for this thread
Sort of switched from Canon to Panasonic
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.