Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Underwater Photography Talk
Thread started 20 Jun 2016 (Monday) 06:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Gear Suggestions for Maldives Trip

Orias
Joined May 2011
Madrid, Spain
Jun 20, 2016 06:40 |  #1

Hey guys,

I'm lucky enough to be going to the Maldives in a few months, for what will likely be one of those "holiday of a lifetime" kind of experiences. As such, I want to be able to get some nice underwater shots ... something that I currently have zero experience with. I will be taking my 70D + Full compliment of lenses, but I am looking for the best options to get some great underwater shots too.

The way I see it, I have a number of options:

1. Get an underwater housing for the 70D - But this seems very expensive for something I am going to use very rarely
2. Get an underwater housing for my Lumix TZ70 - Cheaper than the full DSLR alternative
3. Use a GoPro Hero 3 - Which I can borrow/steal off my Brother
4. Buy a purpose-built underwater camera if there is a good, cheap, option.

Does anyone with experience have any advice/suggestions on this? I'm only ever going to get the chance to do this once, so I want to make sure I'm fully prepared to get the best results possible :p

Cheers, James
View my 500px Gallery Here (external link)

Canon EOS 70D + Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6L IS USM + Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM + Canon 10-18mm IS USM, Canon 18-135mm, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 55-250mm IS + Canon Speedlight 430 EXII
My Site - Arup Photography (external link)
500px - http://500px.com/arnie​arup (external link)
Flickr - James Flickr (external link)

cicopo
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Jun 21, 2016 20:57 |  #2

Are you a certified diver & if so how experienced? OR is this for snorkeling? If you're a diver & it's your first time to try underwater photography you need to know it's not very much like land based photography. Buoyancy control is critical for good results, and depending on depth strobes may be needed for good colors.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

Orias
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2011
Madrid, Spain
Jun 22, 2016 04:23 |  #3

Hey Cicopo,

I am not a diver, no. This will be purely for "leisure" use on whatever I can find whilst snorkeling around the place, so no need for anything too elaborate. Just something that will make the best use of the situation, either using my existing gear or a cheap (but good quality) alternative.

Cheers, James

Canon EOS 70D + Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6L IS USM + Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM + Canon 10-18mm IS USM, Canon 18-135mm, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 55-250mm IS + Canon Speedlight 430 EXII
My Site - Arup Photography (external link)
500px - http://500px.com/arnie​arup (external link)
Flickr - James Flickr (external link)

1,183 views & 1 like for this thread
Gear Suggestions for Maldives Trip
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Underwater Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.