Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk
Thread started 19 Oct 2015 (Monday) 09:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

No editing clause … i'm a big dummy.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Oct 19, 2015 09:10 |  #1

I am pretty easy going with usage for a lot of my images especially if I only provide low res images. On this particular set I forgot to tell them to not edit the image, shame on me. But I doubt they would have given a crap anyway, they didn't tag me as they were supposed to either.

actually, not being tagged in this barfbag of an image is a good thing.

instagram vs original

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
74,826 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Oct 19, 2015 09:45 |  #2

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17751671 (external link)
actually, not being tagged in this barfbag of an image is a good thing.

Good point. They edited it to fit their needs as a "poster". Normally, I don't care what they do with them as long as the check clears? ; D

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by nathancarter.
Oct 19, 2015 16:14 |  #3

[requisite wisecrack about comic sans font]

I don't even get mad about this with small-time and local performers any more. They crop them, edit them, put filters on them. Just about all the producers know it was me shooting anyway. My license says "personal use and self-promotion," and doesn't explicitly exclude editing - they're gonna be chopped and cropped to fit on flyers and posters anyway.

If it makes you mad, you can either (A) not work with them, or (B) charge them enough that you're happy to eliminate the "no editing" clause from your paperwork.

...having said that, it's a pretty crummy poster. Maybe I just have high standards for promotional materials.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 19, 2015 16:17 |  #4

Heya,

If you got paid, then you're good.

I wouldn't care what they did with that kind of image if they paid for it. It was for social media spamming. Getting paid at all for that is a good thing, since most places will just use a cellphone snap and do the same thing.

Bank and do more! ;)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 19, 2015 16:54 |  #5

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17751706 (external link)
Normally, I don't care what they do with them as long as the check clears? ; D

yup. In fact for this gig I was paid by the promotor, but they were clueless as to usage rights so i just gave them to the band under a few simple conditions. I considered it a nice night out on the town and a learning experience.

Months later i'm still learning :lol:

nathancarter wrote in post #17752251 (external link)
[requisite wisecrack about comic sans font]

I don't even get mad about this with small-time and local performers any more. They crop them, edit them, put filters on them. Just about all the producers know it was me shooting anyway. My license says "personal use and self-promotion," and doesn't explicitly exclude editing - they're gonna be chopped and cropped to fit on flyers and posters anyway.

If it makes you mad, you can either (A) not work with them, or (B) charge them enough that you're happy to eliminate the "no editing" clause from your paperwork.

...having said that, it's a pretty crummy poster. Maybe I just have high standards for promotional materials.

good to know this is so common, i definitely don't sweat it with these type folks. The crop is one thing but blowing it out? pfft. I'm considering putting a new layout together for them and seeing if they'll pay ten bucks for it. Maybe not this time around but next. Market research, you know?

As a kid i was a photographer, and got into graphic arts and marketing instead of getting into a photography career. Now I'm doing both. So yeah, the layout/comic sans kills me as much as anything. I mean it's freaking instagram, post the dates above or below and keep the 2:3 aspect ratio on the pic.

just (again) a learning experience … going from working for true commercial clients to run of the mill local bands and events. Thanks for the input.

MalVeauX wrote in post #17752255 (external link)
Bank and do more! ;)

for sure.

i shot a national touring band friday and was savvy enough to make contact with his wife instead of trying to cozy up to him. Already crafting an email and follow up for more work.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Left Handed Brisket. 10 edits done in total.
Oct 19, 2015 17:00 |  #6

looks like Pekka has finally perfected the potty mouth filter, replace the asterisk **** with "arse" hole, one word.

http://www.mcsweeneys.​net ...les/im-comic-sans-**** (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,910 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Oct 19, 2015 17:02 |  #7

I learned my lesson with a trade for model. We did shots of her wearing a white fur outfit in the snow. I worked my ass off to keep detail in the white fur against the white snow and was damn proud of the results, knowing that most people don't appreciatethe skill involved. The first thing the modle did was run a piss colored instagram filter on the via her I phone and broadcast on facebook. A few commin friends knew I did the shoot amd couldn't believe I would do such a thing to the images. Live and learn.

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,584 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Annapolis Maryland
Jan 26, 2016 19:42 |  #8

I'm very fortunate! I shoot a concert for a local once a month coffee house and my daughter produces the posters for the band's return the following year. My set is simply linked to the coffee house and displayed as is by the bands on their own site. I've only had pics modded one time, from a paid job for a cd cover.

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Sunpak 622 Pro, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 50/1.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Quantums 1 & 1+, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
1,961 posts
Joined May 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Apr 22, 2016 10:21 |  #9

I know this is an old thread, but to be honest the modified photo looks 10x better for the intended purpose than does the original. Since wording needed to be added to the photo itself, it makes perfect sense to lighten the photo so that their advertisement is very noticable. Cropping it as they did also goes from what looks like a shot that anyone can take from the grass/seats/whatever to one that loos like it was taken by someone with special up front access.

I know many of you have a style and you don't want any changes to your work for fear that someone will think you produced crap, but in this instance the changes suited the need and made the photo more usable.

Canon EOS 1D X | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C |

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Left Handed Brisket. 2 edits done in total.
May 07, 2016 20:08 |  #10

mikeinctown wrote in post #17980826 (external link)
I know this is an old thread, but to be honest the modified photo looks 10x better for the intended purpose than does the original. Since wording needed to be added to the photo itself, it makes perfect sense to lighten the photo so that their advertisement is very noticable.

yeah, no. I've worked in advertising design for more or less 25 years, I have never once had to destroy an image so that written copy could be seen. Never.

Cropping it as they did also goes from what looks like a shot that anyone can take from the grass/seats/whatever to one that loos like it was taken by someone with special up front access.

LOL, the guitarist's head is too close to the edge of the frame and his amputated fingers look creepy. The girl's cut off elbow doesn't help at all.

I know many of you have a style and you don't want any changes to your work for fear that someone will think you produced crap, but in this instance the changes suited the need and made the photo more usable.

sorry, the edited image is crap. Everything about it sucks, from the use of two different sans serif fonts (frickin' Comic Sans :LOL: ) , to the blood red type, to the text placement, to the photo editing.

It has nothing to do with "my style" in fact, as someone who primarily produces photos and layouts for other businesses it is important for me to be style agnostic. I don't use presets and do not have any actions that I run to get a certain look with a photo or set of photos. I create a look for virtually each and every client based on their expectations and my vision for their project.

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by ksbal.
May 09, 2016 11:44 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #11

Trendy and Crap often go hand and hand... I'm in line with the others, as long as they don't sell T-shirts or mugs with it (different license required) Or attribute to someone other than me, and I got paid, I'm live and let live..

As you have more skills in graphic design than I do, I can see how it is more offensive, but honestly, no one will remember that particular image anyways, in the long run.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
1,961 posts
Joined May 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Jun 20, 2016 08:26 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #12

Of course it sucks, because they took an average image that you took and had to change it for their needs.

Canon EOS 1D X | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C |

Nathan
So boring
Joined Aug 2007
Boston
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Nathan.
Jun 20, 2016 14:15 as a reply to mikeinctown's post |  #13

I actually agree with Mike here

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

mannetti21
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
Connecticut
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by mannetti21.
Jun 20, 2016 20:01 |  #14

I suppose these issues didn't exist in the film days. I can have a strong type A personality when it comes to my work, meaning I want it done the way I want it done. Clients who edit my images drives me bonkers. Heck, I even cringe when they crop my images to be used on instagram or as profile pictures.

On the other hand, I'm not oblivious to the possibility that they edited my image because they actually didn't like the image. I'm getting a better understanding of what people like and don't like, regardless of technical merit. For wedding work, it seems people would choose a slightly overexposed edit over a perfectly exposed edit. It looks like that same preference may extend to other areas of work as well. Of course, the problem is that they used a brightness slider and didn't selectively lift shadows. You could also do a quick re-edit, include the text they superimposed, and send that along with an informal mention to not violate your copyrights.

For Sale: 82mm Marumi Super-DHG CPL filter in mint condition --> http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​473868
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Left Handed Brisket. 2 edits done in total.
Jun 24, 2016 19:09 |  #15

mikeinctown wrote in post #18044791 (external link)
Of course it sucks, because they took an average image that you took and had to change it for their needs.

lol

nice dig, miketheclown.

sponsored links

8,342 views & 5 likes for this thread
No editing clause … i'm a big dummy.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.