Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 12 Jun 2016 (Sunday) 07:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Bought a 1D mark IV, love it but need advice!

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Jul 06, 2016 11:16 |  #136

I sent the camera back. Even though I regret having to do so, but the charger was the last straw. Without that though I actually might have kept the camera, despite its worn exterior and the high shutter count because after getting the colours right, it was really great. And even now it was difficult to return it because focus was spot on with both the 300/4 and the 400/5.6. Not a trace of front or back focussing and so no AFMA needed. The first 1D4 front focussed with both my lenses and I'm not good in correcting that myself.
But a camera without a charger is too big a problem. I would have to sell my 1D3 without one, which I won't do, but if I do then I myself would be without a charger and would have to buy one which - according to going rates on eBay - would set me back some 250 Euro for a used one. New they are 365 Euro. I figured that for the same total sum I can get a better copy.

I don't expect every shot to be in focus. Especially with birds on the move you will miss focus some times. I always assume it's my own doing, not the camera's. Or the birds' fault, as they move too fast and erratic! :lol:

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. 3 edits done in total.
Jul 06, 2016 11:29 |  #137

Correcting for focus is quite easy though. I wouldn't use that as a basis to not buy a camera or to return a camera.

1) Throw a high contrast toy/object in your yard (preferably when grass is cut and is low, or on a sidewalk)
2) Go back far enough with your camera/lens combo such that the object is slightly larger than your center AF point, set focal length to either in the middle of the zoom range, or where you would shoot most often, shoot wide open and with a shutter speed that is 1 / (2x the focal length)
3) Focus using your center AF point and snap a couple of shots
4) If the ground/grass in front of the object is in focus, use positive values to "add distance between you and the focus point", or use negative values to "bring the focus point closer to you"
5) Use increments of 5 each adjustment, then do one or two more tests, but use increments of 2. Shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 test shots

Hopefully this is clear :)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Jul 06, 2016 12:51 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #138

Funny, I actually tried that, except I just used a darker leaf in the grass so I don't think that worked particularly well. :oops:
Taking a high contrast object with me is a great idea though. And I think one of the gravel paths in the park would be perfect.
Great tutorial, Cary. Thank you! :love:

Here are two shots from the first 1D4 with the 300/4 after AFMA +7, a value I ended up using after shooting a street sign and +7 seemed to give me the sharpest results, although it might actually have needed more, not sure. A Heron leaving the roof of a houseboat across the canal where I live and then flying by.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
HOSTED PHOTO

Levina

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Jul 06, 2016 21:22 |  #139

2nd one really has some pop to it!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. 6 edits done in total.
Jul 06, 2016 22:11 |  #140

If this person is willing to ship to the Netherlands, I figure it will cost you around $1400 EUR with VAT (no duty on cameras, if I read that correctly). $1220 + $50 shipping + 21% VAT converted from USD to EUR.... This is $100 less than your first deal...

http://www.fredmiranda​.com ...802/0?keyword=1d#13​604427 (external link)

Seems like a great camera with an extra battery and L-bracket from a great seller. Might be worth looking into? Not sure if that is in your price range, but you get extras and what appears to be a very clean camera with 172K on the shutter, at a lower price than the first camera you picked up.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Jul 06, 2016 23:29 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #141

Thanks very much, Cary. Appreciate your efforts in trying to get me a 1D4! :-)
The Dutch government's import calculator tells me that for $ 1220 + $ 50 shipping the extra costs would come to a minimum of 307 Euro (taxes: 246.65 and import duty 47.34). That would make the camera 1434.99 Euro and I think I can do better buying local as prices are really coming down now.

The first 1D4 I bought was 1499. I returned it and when it was listed on the shop's site again they had lowered the price to 1399. It's sold now.

The shop where I bought the last 1D4 has taken in 3 "new" 1D4's and they seem like good ones.
One with very little wear, shutter count of 115,400 for 1499 Euro.
Another with a bit of wear and a scratch on the lcd screen but otherwise in good condition, 43,700 clicks for 1599 Euro.
A third with minor wear and only 16,600 clicks for 1699 Euro.

Only a few months ago the price tag would have been significantly higher for all three. The last two especially would have been 2000+ Euro for sure.
I'm really tempted to get the first one. It also has the highest sn.
But I'm also thinking that prices may drop even more in the months to come as more 1D4's hit the streets and that I should wait a bit?

Levina

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed.
Jul 07, 2016 05:38 |  #142

I am not sure more will hit the streets, enough to continually drop the price. It is the last of the 1.3 crops and still commands a spot in peoples bags. However I could be wrong, but I don't know what people are getting to replace them, I don't consider a 1dx as a replacement really.

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Jul 07, 2016 06:21 |  #143

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18060173 (external link)
I am not sure more will hit the streets, enough to continually drop the price. It is the last of the 1.3 crops and still commands a spot in peoples bags. However I could be wrong, but I don't know what people are getting to replace them, I don't consider a 1dx as a replacement really.

I have two 1D4's and am not going to sell them. I do have a 1DX and a 5D3 but they are not my 'sports' cameras - kept specifically for weddings/events/church functions because of their low light abilities.

I do consider myself to be a typical 1D4 owner and at the moment unless I go to a 7D2 or it's replacement I'm not sure which way I'd go if I did sell the 1D4's. The sensor is just right for me, battery life is great, focus tracking is good and uses two card slots of different type which makes it easy for me to differentiate between backup cards and first card when I shoot to dual cards at important events.

So I would support Teamspeeds' view that they may not continue to drop. Some folks have not gelled well with the 1DX2 yet with these daft CFAST cards which cost the earth just to get a backup and that's the reason I'm not going to a 1DX2.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed.
Jul 07, 2016 09:51 |  #144

Just to add some facts to my assessment, there are several sales of 1D4s around Thanksgiving/Christmas of 2015. Here is one from last Nov, $1300...

http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=17​781686

The prices have been quite stable over the past year, simply because nothing Canon has offered has really made people want to relinquish their 1.3 crop bodies. Perhaps a 1DX3 that has 26Mpx to allow a 1.3 crop out would be the deciding factor? Perhaps the 5D4/5DX would be that offering as well, except it is highly unlikely it would have 10fps, more like maybe 7-8.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Jul 07, 2016 10:30 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #145

Over here prices are dropping as we speak. They really are.
I often look in POTN's marketplace but it's most all CONUS and people don't want to ship to Europe. But even if they would, that Christmas deal with the $ 1300 1D4? I saw it at the time. A great deal for someone from the USA. I remember thinking how lucky American forum members are to be able to buy this camera for that price. Because shipping it to Amsterdam would cost 50 dollars and after taxes and duties the camera would amount to $ 1688, which kills the deal. Customs doesn't make a difference between buying from a shop or buying from an individual, between new or used; you got to pay your dues. That's why it really never pays off for us over here to buy outside the EU.

Levina

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 07, 2016 10:36 |  #146

There is no duty on camera good though, so shipping and VAT are the only concerns, correct? Unless the goods from Japan warrant a duty?

The duty rates applied to imports into the Netherlands typically range between 0% (for example books) and 17% (for example Wellington Boots). Some products, such as Laptops, Mobile Phones, Digital cameras and Video Game consoles, are duty free. Certain goods may be subject to additional duties depending on the country of manufacture, for example Bicycles made in China carry an additional (anti dumping) duty of 48.5%.

There were several cameras offered in the $1400-1600 price range last year in the US across 3 different forums, so it wasn't an isolated case.

Keep an eye out, I am sure one will pop up that meets your budget and is in great shape!

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Jul 07, 2016 12:08 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #147

The European TARIC database is hard to navigate and I see conflicting information so I went to B&H and added a 80D to the shopping cart and then checked out, telling the system I wanted to pay the extra costs up front. Here's a screenshot of the list with the extra costs. As you can see duties are the least of my concern. It's the 21% VAT that kills deals.

Over here the 80D goes for 1174 Euro ($ 1300). :-P

HOSTED PHOTO

Levina

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Levina de Ruijter.
Jul 11, 2016 10:59 |  #148

Guys, a little update! I just bought another 1DIV.

Shutter count 115,400 but in a new-like state. The whole box and all the original stuff in it are like new. I mean, if you didn't know any better you would think it all came straight from Canon! This is an extremely well looked after camera. I paid 1499 Euro for it and I think it's worth every cent. I went to the shop this time and they had two other ID4's, one with just 16,600 clicks and another with ± 67,000 but although both cameras were in good shape, they did not look as good as the one I bought. I mean this one isn't just in good shape, it's new. It looks it, it feels it. The other cameras with the low shutter count were also more expensive and the one with the mere 16,600 clicks had a nasty scratch running diagonally across the big LCD screen and already had scuff marks on the body.

I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

Levina

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,622 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Jul 11, 2016 11:10 |  #149

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18063926 (external link)
Guys, a little update! I just bought another 1DIV.

Shutter count 115,400 but in a new-like state. The whole box and all the original stuff in it are like new. I mean, if you didn't know any better you would think it all came straight from Canon! This is an extremely well looked after camera. I paid 1499 Euro for it and I think it's worth every cent. I went to the shop this time and they had two other ID4's, one with just 16,600 clicks and another with ± 67,000 but although both cameras were in good shape, they did not look as good as the one I bought. I mean this one isn't just in good shape, it's new. It looks it, it feels it. The other cameras with the low shutter count were also more expensive and the one with the mere 16,600 clicks had a nasty scratch running diagonally across the big LCD screen and already had scuff marks on the body.

I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

I hope it's a keeper.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
Jul 11, 2016 11:54 |  #150

Chet wrote in post #18063939 (external link)
I hope it's a keeper.

I hope so too, Chet, because I bought it in the shop and not online which means I have no right of return. Although this shop considers happy customers more important than sticking to rules.

I just took some test shots and all looks very well indeed.

Levina

sponsored links

21,929 views & 69 likes for this thread
Bought a 1D mark IV, love it but need advice!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.