Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 03 Jul 2016 (Sunday) 14:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What is currently the cheapest used full frame you can get (other than 5D classic)

parodying
Joined Oct 2009
Jul 03, 2016 14:01 |  #1

I know the 5D classic hovers around $300 now, and I've had a few of them over the years, but in many cases the camera's age is starting to show fairly evidently in photos, even RAW...not saying it's still not one of the the best cameras out there (it is), but I was just curious across each brand since I haven't been keeping up much with photography in recent years, which one has the lowest used price point? So far at a glance I've noticed the Nikon D600 can be had around $650, and the 5D Mark II around $850. Any others I'm missing?

sponsored links
Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010
Bigfoot Country
Jul 03, 2016 14:12 |  #2

The Canon 1Ds and Sony A7 both can be had for about $600-$650.

— Neil

seohamel
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Jul 05, 2016 12:55 |  #3

I've found my Canon 7D body at a very cheap price off of ebay, with a shutter count of 2000. It really depends on what you're looking for and if you're patient enough to get it.

Condos Montreal (external link)
RĂ©sidences Retraite (external link)

waylandcool
Joined Jun 2007
Far NW Suburbs of Chicago
Jul 05, 2016 13:47 as a reply to Nightdiver13's post |  #4

I've seen 1Ds' in the 400 range in good shape.

Ex: http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​450423

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,339 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jul 05, 2016 14:31 |  #5

You all have missed the boat, completely. Here is a link to one of the best full frame cameras ever made. You don't even need a battery. The cheapest one I saw was $14.99. Several of them come with quite good glass. None of them are over $70.

http://www.ebay.com ...+fx-3+super+2000&_sacat=0 (external link)

Tom

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jul 05, 2016 15:35 |  #6

parodying wrote in post #18056953 (external link)
I know the 5D classic hovers around $300 now, and I've had a few of them over the years, but in many cases the camera's age is starting to show fairly evidently in photos, even RAW...not saying it's still not one of the the best cameras out there (it is), but I was just curious across each brand since I haven't been keeping up much with photography in recent years, which one has the lowest used price point? So far at a glance I've noticed the Nikon D600 can be had around $650, and the 5D Mark II around $850. Any others I'm missing?

I'm interested too, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a Nikon/Sony digital full frame dSLR that is affordable and has any allure that isn't already costly. To me, $650 is so close to $800~1000 that you might as well go for a modern one.

That said:

5D Classic - $300 these days, it's the classic if you don't need 1D build level or AF abilities
1Ds Classic - $350~400 (dumb price, dunno why, this really should be $250~300 tops, ever just because of annoying batteries & ancient menu, but 11MP and 1D build & AF, really neat sync speed 1/500s)
1Ds Mark II - $400~600 (annoying prices, but 16MP, full frame, 1D build, blazing AF for age, really awesome camera if you get one around $450ish, but annoying batteries, LCD & menu)

I'm personally eyeballing Sony for my next "full frame." I'm basically waiting for an A7S to become affordable, used. I've seen them around $850 before here on this forum used. When they're around $600 or so, I might get one. It does everything I would expect from a large sensor that is modern with it's ISO abilities, dynamic range, etc. Also adapts well to various glass.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

kiapolo
Joined Nov 2010
Honolulu, Hawai`i
Jul 06, 2016 14:58 |  #7

parodying wrote in post #18056953 (external link)
5D Mark II around $850

I picked up a used (150K shutter count) 5D mkII for $500 from local camera shop. Use it as a backup to my 6D. Love it.

| kiapolo.com (external link) (blog) | Gear List | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) | 2012 Project 366 (external link) |

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,225 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Jul 12, 2016 01:58 |  #8

the original 1Ds is a dinosaur compared to Sony Alpha 7
It's even older than the 5D

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DAexternal link

heat00
199 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Jul 12, 2016 13:04 |  #9

I have a silly question, when looking or buying a used body, does the shutter count show somewhere? Also, what is the expected life of the shutter plus or minus... just trying to understand a little more about whether it's a good idea to consider a used body. (I'm also curious about my own shutter count lol)
Thanks,

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Jul 12, 2016 14:02 |  #10

I picked up a used (high shutter count) 5D Mk II for $500. It's a backup body, a little beat up, but works great.

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

MBB89
228 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Jul 12, 2016 23:06 |  #11

1Ds Mark II is REALLY good for the price. I found a used one in ~8 condition on Ebay for $400. The viewfinder is phenomenal for my MF Zeiss glass.

Yes the menus are annoying but after about 20 minutes you figure out what you need to do. The only thing to make sure of is that the body comes with the charger-- the charger alone will run around $100.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2012
Riverside,California
Jul 12, 2016 23:43 |  #12

The A7 is getting dirt cheap, seen them go for $600.

has a usable 12,800 with insane dynamic range. I love mine, haven't had a single urge to upgrade, and I wont until it breaks.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner.
Jul 13, 2016 20:42 |  #13

MalVeauX wrote in post #18058730 (external link)
1Ds Mark II - $400~600 (annoying prices, but 16MP, full frame, 1D build, blazing AF for age, really awesome camera if you get one around $450ish, but annoying batteries, LCD & menu)

Martin,

I am curious to know what you find annoying about the batteries. I had a 1D2, not the 1Ds2, but I think they take the same batteries. I never had any difficulties with my 1D2 batteries, and never had anything annoying happen with them. In fact, they are quite similar to the batteries in the 1D4 that I use now, which of course isn't annoying in any way at all. What annoyed you?

I do agree that the LCD was annoying. In fact, I rely so much on LCD precision and resolution that with an LCD that bad I would miss a lot of shots because it didn't allow me to really see extremely fine detail resolution or minute shifts in color cast. This is the main reason why I don't use my 5D Classic any more.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by MalVeauX.
Jul 23, 2016 20:02 |  #14

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18066291 (external link)
Martin,

I am curious to know what you find annoying about the batteries. I had a 1D2, not the 1Ds2, but I think they take the same batteries. I never had any difficulties with my 1D2 batteries, and never had anything annoying happen with them. In fact, they are quite similar to the batteries in the 1D4 that I use now, which of course isn't annoying in any way at all. What annoyed you?

I do agree that the LCD was annoying. In fact, I rely so much on LCD precision and resolution that with an LCD that bad I would miss a lot of shots because it didn't allow me to really see extremely fine detail resolution or minute shifts in color cast. This is the main reason why I don't use my 5D Classic any more.

Hey Tom,

The 1Dc, 1D2 & the "s" & "n" models of that series all use the same batteries. What I found annoying was that the charger with two limbs, only could charge one battery at a time. The charge time was long. The refreshing of the battery and subsequent recharge was very long. That's not to say they're bad, they were great for me, but annoying because it was one of the few areas on these cameras were today the age really shows, compared to a newer lithium battery equipped camera. I shot the 1Dc & 1DII for a while and loved them, but the battery situation is very annoying to me. I also find it hyper annoying that the genuine recharger for these batteries are insanely inflated in cost, for a just-as-good-as-OEM-battery for $25 basically. But the charger, they want $150~180 used, for something that only chargers one limb at a time, with really long refresh & recharge times.

I eventually moved to a 7D for when I'm on my kayak and out in the wetlands. I eventually ran into the resolution wall for cropping, even at 600mm, on my 8MP 1DII, so I just wanted more pixels to crop. So far pretty happy with the trade, even though I really enjoyed the look of the 1D files more I think. I think my 1DII was cleaner than my 7D honestly.

I still shoot a pair of 5D classics though. One of my favorites. I would replace one of them with a 1Ds II, as I really want to, but I always stop myself due to the experience with the batteries, menu and LCD. The 5Dc's system is better for what I do with full frame than the older 1Dc & 1DII system. Every few months I shop for a 1Ds II looking for a deal. And a 1Ds III is way, way over-priced for what it is these days in my opinion, so in the spirit of this thread, cheap old full frames, it's out of the running--even though it has the newer batteries that share with the 1DIV, etc. In another 10 years, maybe I can get a used 1DX hah.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
Jul 23, 2016 20:05 as a reply to seohamel's post |  #15

7d is not a FF :)

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

sponsored links

4,228 views & 8 likes for this thread
What is currently the cheapest used full frame you can get (other than 5D classic)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.