Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 13 Jun 2016 (Monday) 03:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Upgrade from a 7D

Road_Rebel
459 posts
Joined Jul 2008
UK, SE, Reading, Berkshire
Jun 13, 2016 03:09 |  #1

Hello there,

The setup I am currently using most at the moment is a 7D mkI with a 50mm f/1.4 for shooting cars and candid portraiture in fairly low light scenarios.

Is an upgrade to a 5D mkII with either a 85mm f/1.8 or f/1.2 worthwhile for the shooting I'm doing???

Thanks for reading.

Kind Regards,

RR

Favourite loadout currently: Canon 7D mkI + 50mm f/1.4
Next desired loadout: Canon 5D mkII + 85mm f/1.2
Side Arm: 17-55mm f/2.8
What can you capture with the click of a button?

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by ksbal.
Jun 14, 2016 15:03 |  #2

While I did like my 5D2 for files, I couldn't stand the AF on the darn thing. I don't want to do center point, and the outer points would say they locked, and I'd download and find a really soft file.

Is there anything the 7D doesn't do, other than higher ISO is desired? Do you use only centerpoint focus?

Honestly, I'd go with a used 6D if you are a center point AF user- good IQ, good low light focus with that one centerpoint. the 5D2 vs the 6D is sort of a coin flip thing, but as you put down candid's in low light, I'd say the 6D is better suited there, as long as you only use the center point- it is much improved over the 5D2 center point.

Otherwise, if you use the outer AF points on the 7D, then you may want to consider a 70D or 7D2, as there is an improvement over the older sensor. Or hold onto the pennies for a while and buy a used 5D3 if you need good outer point AF - the 5D4 will be out soon, and prices on the other will keep dropping. I haven't found a time where my 7D2 wouldn't lock with the outer points yet, and I even slapped a welding glass I could barely see thru it, and then found a patch of contrast and it could lock. The anti flicker option on the 7D2 and 80D may be of consideration if you have to shoot with available indoor light, and hate each frame being a different color, or half the frame a different color.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jun 14, 2016 15:10 |  #3

Heya,

I'd go 6D instead of 5D2 for this application. The 5D2 has the same AF system as the original 5D1. The 6D has a newer engine and is much more sensitive in low light (-3EV) with center point. It also performs a hair better at high ISO. Very clean files.

I wouldn't take an 85 F1.2 to shoot cars. But an 85 F1.8 is a very versatile and fast lens, worth starting out with until you know what you need.

Alternatively, if you really want to take command of the low light, look to a Sony A7S.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Road_Rebel
THREAD ­ STARTER
459 posts
Joined Jul 2008
UK, SE, Reading, Berkshire
Jun 19, 2016 05:12 |  #4

thank you for the advice gents, I will need to do research me thinks

Favourite loadout currently: Canon 7D mkI + 50mm f/1.4
Next desired loadout: Canon 5D mkII + 85mm f/1.2
Side Arm: 17-55mm f/2.8
What can you capture with the click of a button?

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,587 posts
Joined Nov 2005
San Diego County, California, USA
Jul 13, 2016 22:34 |  #5

I shoot with a pair of 7D MkI and a 5D Mk2. I don't really see any great advantage in the 5D Mk2 over the 7D MkI.

I opted for a full frame camera because when I shoot larger rescue dogs using my 70-200mm f/4L IS lens, I sometimes cannot get back far enough (due to limited space in my shooting area) with the crop camera at 70mm (112mm equivalent). The full frame enables me to cover a larger area with my 70-200mm lens.

However, I really don't like the AF capability of the 5D Mk2. It seems like I an going back one version in cameras...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

1,559 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrade from a 7D
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.