Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 11 Jan 2010 (Monday) 14:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

-=1D Mark IV Owners Thread! (it's time)

Red ­ Dexs
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2014
Crete Greece.
Jul 16, 2016 02:30 |  #5116

Excellent shots Levina, I will be getting my ID4 in two weeks time.

I like what I like.
Gear- Canon Eos 5D Mark III, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, EF100mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 16-35 f4L IS USM.

sponsored links
Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Jul 16, 2016 04:39 |  #5117

Maxdave wrote in post #18068141 (external link)
Welcome to this 1D4 section, Levina ... as much as I liked my 1D3, the 1D4 has been a revelation to me. Tonight I will shoot amateur sports with it and a 300mm f/4L IS (what it "meant" to do, I often read), but I must say I use it for most everything and haven't been disappointed ... hope you have the best of luck with yours (if these first images are any indication, it will awesome in your hands)!

Maxdave

Thanks very much, Maxdave. The 1D4 is definitely in a different league than the 1D3. I'm loving it! But I need to rethink my sharpening. The files from the 1D4 are incredibly sharp and need very little sharpening. Files from my 1D3 needed quite a bit more.

Red Dexs wrote in post #18068399 (external link)
Excellent shots Levina, I will be getting my ID4 in two weeks time.

Thank you very much, RD. I hope your copy will be as good as mine!

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,557 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jul 16, 2016 07:11 |  #5118

I've only had my 1D4 for about a month. I agree with Levina that it requires re-learning my processing skills. Honestly, every different camera has forced me to tweak my skills a bit. With the 1D4, I have almost decided that raw is pointless. If I use custom WB and get exposure within 1-stop, raw doesn't gain me much. The JPG files from this camera are very nice. I'm just curious, has the 1D4 prompted any of you to (mostly) stop shooting raw?

Tom

RAW-Shooter
865 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Altamonte Springs, FL
Jul 16, 2016 11:31 |  #5119

Bassat wrote in post #18068478 (external link)
I've only had my 1D4 for about a month. I agree with Levina that it requires re-learning my processing skills. Honestly, every different camera has forced me to tweak my skills a bit. With the 1D4, I have almost decided that raw is pointless. If I use custom WB and get exposure within 1-stop, raw doesn't gain me much. The JPG files from this camera are very nice. I'm just curious, has the 1D4 prompted any of you to (mostly) stop shooting raw?

No. Never. Too much loss of information. Will friends, family or "admirers" ever see a difference? Probably not. Will it be visible to me maybe even in my head only? Yes, all the time.

It's like listening to music files in FLAC vs compressed MP3. I can hear the difference ...

I want to be in control and therefore any compression happens on my terms.

Cheers.

BoKo
1D Mark IV | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 MkII L | 1.4x MkIII | 2.0x MkIII and a bunch of good old manual lenses

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Joined Sep 2008
Jul 16, 2016 14:56 |  #5120

I can't imagine shooting in jpegs either, Tom. It's true that the files from the 1D4 don't need a lot of processing, but I still want total control over my files and so it's RAW all the way for me. :-)

Levina

LincsRP
Joined Mar 2007
Lincolnshire,UK
Jul 16, 2016 15:37 |  #5121

Since 2004 I have used 1-series Canon bodies almost exclusively and shot JPEGs. They produce great files and there's a whole lot of control in these bodies and a whole lot of consistency too.

As a back up to my full frame 1DX I bought a new 5D3 and found the white balance less reliable. I guess those shooting with non-1-series will benefit the greatest from shooting raw as the processors won't be up to the level of the 1-series naturally as something has to give due to the different price points.

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.ukexternal link

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,557 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jul 16, 2016 22:40 |  #5122

RAW-Shooter wrote in post #18068636 (external link)
No. Never. Too much loss of information. Will friends, family or "admirers" ever see a difference? Probably not. Will it be visible to me maybe even in my head only? Yes, all the time.

It's like listening to music files in FLAC vs compressed MP3. I can hear the difference ...

I want to be in control and therefore any compression happens on my terms.

Cheers.

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18068765 (external link)
I can't imagine shooting in jpegs either, Tom. It's true that the files from the 1D4 don't need a lot of processing, but I still want total control over my files and so it's RAW all the way for me. :-)

Ok, so far, I've primarily shot the 1DIV in really good light. Maybe I need to take it into other environments and play with the results. Or maybe I am just getting lazy. When shooting primarily a 60D with slow lenses, I got a lot of practice with LR. The 6D offered improvements. Buying faster glass brought my ISO down into the 'it doesn't matter' range. I think I'll start pushing the 1DIV a bit harder, and see what happens.

Tom

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Joined Sep 2008
Jul 18, 2016 14:07 |  #5123

I shot Swifts that are breeding in nest stones at the Eastern Docklands, which is my back yard. There's a whole colony there. The difficulty is twosome: getting them as big in the frame as you can, and getting the exposure right and I struggle particularly with the latter, because they're basically black blobs in the sky; they need to be in the right position towards the sun and in the right quadrant of the sky to show some body detail. Here's one of the better shots.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Levina

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Joined Sep 2008
Jul 18, 2016 14:14 |  #5124

Yesterday I went to the countryside to shoot Barn Swallows. The youngsters are practising flight and are such a pleasure to watch. They're so playful in the air, interacting with one another. It's just great. I sat there for hours and I a few nice shots of them as well but need to process them. Meanwhile here are two shots of adults bringing home some goodies, even though it's a bit hard to see. :-)

HOSTED PHOTO
HOSTED PHOTO

Levina

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Joined Sep 2008
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Levina de Ruijter. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 18, 2016 14:22 |  #5125

Just one shot of the youngsters. I so wish I had longer glass. I tried the 400/5.6 with the Kenko 1.4xTC for a little while and I did get a couple of decent shots with it, but most are just soft and out of focus. It just doesn't work well with playful young Swallows!

HOSTED PHOTO

Levina

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
Joined Aug 2012
Applecross, Scotland
Jul 18, 2016 14:35 |  #5126

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18070721 (external link)
Just one shot of the youngsters. I so wish I had longer glass. I tried the 400/5.6 with the Kenko 1.4xTC for a little while and I did get a couple of decent shots with it, but most are just soft and out of focus. It just doesn't work well with playful young Swallows!
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Levina de Ruijter in
./showthread.php?p=180​70721&i=i197170158
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

That's just a perfect image, Levina. They are so hard to track as they dart about.

flickrexternal link

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Jul 18, 2016 14:51 |  #5127

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18070721 (external link)
./showthread.php?p=180​70721&i=i197170158

10 star imagery !!

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Jul 18, 2016 14:52 |  #5128

Something different for a 1Div and using a 24-70mm :)

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8579/28361132976_317d10e1e2_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Kdbd​Kj] (external link)Fork on wings (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

BigLobowski
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2012
BC, Canada
Jul 18, 2016 16:30 |  #5129

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18070710 (external link)
Yesterday I went to the countryside to shoot Barn Swallows. The youngsters are practising flight and are such a pleasure to watch. They're so playful in the air, interacting with one another. It's just great. I sat there for hours and I a few nice shots of them as well but need to process them. Meanwhile here are two shots of adults bringing home some goodies, even though it's a bit hard to see. :-)
./showthread.php?p=180​70710&i=i120525378
./showthread.php?p=180​70710&i=i36498304

Seriously applaud these shots Levina! BIF I find difficult at the best of times with large, relatively slow flyers like eagles and osprey. The fact you caught barn swallows is frankly amazing to someone of my poor BIF skill - great captures!

- Ken
Gear List | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link | FeedBack |
GreyStoke Photographyexternal link

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Joined Sep 2008
Jul 18, 2016 18:34 |  #5130

AnnieMacD wrote in post #18070737 (external link)
That's just a perfect image, Levina. They are so hard to track as they dart about.

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18070750 (external link)
10 star imagery !!

BigLobowski wrote in post #18070841 (external link)
Seriously applaud these shots Levina! BIF I find difficult at the best of times with large, relatively slow flyers like eagles and osprey. The fact you caught barn swallows is frankly amazing to someone of my poor BIF skill - great captures!

Thank you so much, Annie, MedicineMan and Ken for your awfully nice comments. Much appreciated!

Levina

sponsored links

1,209,727 views & 3468 likes for this thread
-=1D Mark IV Owners Thread! (it's time)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.