Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 25 Feb 2015 (Wednesday) 22:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EOS M, reviewed by Jason C

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND Jason C (showing now: Jason C)
Overall Rating9
Overall Image Quality9
Value for Money10
Must Have7
Suitability to Intended Use9
Got What I Expected10
AF Performance7
Handling and Ergonomics8
User-interface8
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS M

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by Jason C.
Feb 25, 2015 22:05 |  #1

I was a staunch Micro Four Thirds advocate, key word being "was". I scoffed at the release of the EOS M, and I refused to get one...well, until prices plummeted a year later.

Well, it's been over a year with the M, and it is the small camera I reach for for all forms of duty. The M gets used so much, I have sold virtually all of my Micro Four Thirds platform gear.

I do not have issue not having an electric viewfinder (EVF), I do not have problems changing settings without dedicated buttons or multiple dials. You adapt to the tool in your hand.

I use the M for street, portraits, environmental portraits, familial events, retirements, astrophotography, macro, everything; and the output is exemplary. I adapt EOS mount lenses with full AF, FD mount, Konica AR, Minolta, etc. I've used 430 ex, Yongnuo and Altura speedlites with great results.

I love this camera, it's output, it's ease of use, it's small yet robust and it will fit in a pocket with the exceptional EF-M 22mm f/2 pancake lens.

It may not have lightning 1D series AF speed, it still is fast enough and accurate.

I like this body so much, I just recently added the European market only M2 to my KIT. T5I sensor, improved AF, shorter black-out time, smaller and lighter.

I have posted many M samples in the EOS M thread, and you can search my Gallery for M samples as well.

Now, I just need to sell of my Mu43 Panasonic G5, no need for that one anymore...I got my Ms!

Jason

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

sponsored links
Jason ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Feb 27, 2015 21:10 as a reply to post 17452936 |  #2

No plans on it at this time...I have too many bodies already!

Jason

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

Robj57
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2015
Mar 02, 2015 14:14 |  #3

I also have an EOS M and love it.
Quick question, which Yongnuo speedlite do you have?
I'm looking to get one and have seen posts discussing various compatibility issues with the EOS M.
Also, do you have the 90EX and have you used it as an optical trigger for the yongnuo?

Jason ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Mar 02, 2015 21:12 |  #4

Robj57 wrote in post #17457086external link
I also have an EOS M and love it.
Quick question, which Yongnuo speedlite do you have?
I'm looking to get one and have seen posts discussing various compatibility issues with the EOS M.
Also, do you have the 90EX and have you used it as an optical trigger for the yongnuo?

I have an older Yongnuo YN-465, and it works on my EOS M like it does on my other bodies. My YN is basically for off camera flash work.

I have not used or even tried the 90EX as a trigger for any flash I own...

Jason

Equipment & Feedback

kpritts
329 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Mar 06, 2015 12:48 |  #5

I had an M for a long time and did the full kit of M lenses, added a thumbrest and hot shoe viewfinder (but seldom use it). It has become my travel kit. For safety everything fits in a small Pelican case but when travelling and need lighter weight I use a LowePro 100AW slingshot bag or a smaller bag at my side.

I also just got the M2 and sold the original M. I like the faster AF, smaller build and WiFi. I use the M set more now than I did before as it is easy to grab and shoot.

KDPritts Photography (http://kdpritts.com (external link))
Canon 1D Mark IV, 60D; Canon EF 16-35L II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105L, 70-200 f2.8L II, 100 f2.8L macro, 100-400L, 300 f2.8L; Canon 1.4x III extender; Travel Kit: EOS M2, 11-22, 18-55, 22, 55-200.

dexter75
329 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by dexter75.
Sep 06, 2015 15:11 |  #6

Jason C wrote in post #17450225 (external link)
I was a staunch Micro Four Thirds advocate, key word being "was". I scoffed at the release of the EOS M, and I refused to get one...well, until prices plummeted a year later.

Well, it's been over a year with the M, and it is the small camera I reach for for all forms of duty. The M gets used so much, I have sold virtually all of my Micro Four Thirds platform gear.

I do not have issue not having an electric viewfinder (EVF), I do not have problems changing settings without dedicated buttons or multiple dials. You adapt to the tool in your hand.

I use the M for street, portraits, environmental portraits, familial events, retirements, astrophotography, macro, everything; and the output is exemplary. I adapt EOS mount lenses with full AF, FD mount, Konica AR, Minolta, etc. I've used 430 ex, Yongnuo and Altura speedlites with great results.

I love this camera, it's output, it's ease of use, it's small yet robust and it will fit in a pocket with the exceptional EF-M 22mm f/2 pancake lens.

It may not have lightning 1D series AF speed, it still is fast enough and accurate.

I like this body so much, I just recently added the European market only M2 to my KIT. T5I sensor, improved AF, shorter black-out time, smaller and lighter.

I have posted many M samples in the EOS M thread, and you can search my Gallery for M samples as well.

Now, I just need to sell of my Mu43 Panasonic G5, no need for that one anymore...I got my Ms!

Jason

Are you still using the M? Just wondering how you are dealing with pretty much zero lens section. Looks like they have 5 total. Not sure how you could give up on m43 and their fantastic lens selection. How is the M working long term?

Canon EOS 6D, EOS 5D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM |

Jason ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Sep 06, 2015 18:15 as a reply to dexter75's post |  #7

I still own my M2, gave my M to a young relative.

I still love the M2, and I use it for 35mm fov applications so I do not have an issue with the lack of lens selection. As an easy to carry platform, the M with 22 does all I need it to do. To me, it seems foolish to slap larger lenses to the M, that's what my dslrs are for. Also, I rarely use my 18-55 on the M.

I also use a nifty-fifty with adapter on the M with no problems, and is quite fun though bulky.

I love my M2 and it serves a purpose, but right now I've been using my Fuji X100S a lot at the moment.

Jason

Equipment & Feedback

JNG418
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jun 2016
Jun 09, 2016 17:10 |  #8

I just switched from a T2i to an EOS M3! Thanks for your review, I hear the EOS M series all technically have similarities to them... exciting to know that you haven't had a single bad issue :)

Robert ­ Germans
Joined Sep 2013
Jul 21, 2016 15:02 |  #9

with sigma 18-20 os

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon M with 22/2 mm and 1DSII with 85/1,8 | olympus omd m10 | olympus zuiko 12-40 2,8 | olympus zuiko 40-150

sponsored links

5,608 views & 2 likes for this thread
Canon EOS M, reviewed by Jason C
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.