Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk
Thread started 23 Jul 2016 (Saturday) 15:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Advice?

Evertking
Joined Jul 2016
Jul 23, 2016 15:47 |  #1

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
What can I do to make the colors in my pics not look so bland and I'm having trouble getting my focus Down.
This is with the Canon 5D and 85 mm 1.8

Shot at F 2.2
1/160
iso 100

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
74,862 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Jul 23, 2016 16:02 |  #2

Without that black support growing out of the head, I think it's a pretty nice shot.
Is it natural, unassisted light? The color looks good. A little stronger light coming from the right & a bounce card at the left might give you what you're looking for.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Evertking
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2016
Jul 23, 2016 16:05 as a reply to PhotosGuy's post |  #3

Thanks for the advice. Yes, just natural light. I was trying to figure out manual mode.

PhotosGuy
74,862 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Jul 23, 2016 16:08 |  #4

Evertking wrote in post #18075494 (external link)
... I was trying to figure out manual mode.

This might help. I use my hand as the known target + a 4/3 compensation in the viewfinder:
Need an exposure crutch?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

atsilverstein
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2015
NYC Metro
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by atsilverstein.
Jul 23, 2016 16:19 |  #5

If you are using lightroom, you can select luminescence based on color. You can decrease the green, while also decreasing the overall exposure slightly and slightly increase the yellow and oranges (skin tones). Also dehase will help you get the colors in there. I also suggest stopping up your aperture slightly and/or increasing SS on a bright sunny day.

Example:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

Evertking
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2016
Jul 23, 2016 17:11 as a reply to atsilverstein's post |  #6

Thanks.. info on my settings is what I'm wondering about.. I'm stuck at trying to keep the iso at 100 think that will give me the sharpest image. But I guess I need to play around with it a bit. Thanks. But my thinking is, with kids I probably should work my settings for a faster shutter speed cause they move around a lot. At what iso does grain become a problem?

atsilverstein
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2015
NYC Metro
Jul 23, 2016 17:20 |  #7

Evertking wrote in post #18075548 (external link)
Thanks.. info on my settings is what I'm wondering about.. I'm stuck at trying to keep the iso at 100 think that will give me the sharpest image. But I guess I need to play around with it a bit. Thanks. But my thinking is, with kids I probably should work my settings for a faster shutter speed cause they move around a lot. At what iso does grain become a problem?

It depends on your camera. I'm a Nikon shooter so I don't know exactly for the 5D, but it's a top knotch professional camera so your concerns about noise are not that necessary. Keep in mind though that if you're in a shaded area and are backlighting the subject the camera might need a higher ISO than 100. Young kids very rarely stay still enough so make sure your camera is in al-servo mode I think is the Canon-speak. Also at f2.2 a lot of what you are seeing is the thin plane of aperture throwing almost everything out of focus. Your settings have to be on point or else nothing in the image is sharp, it's a tricky lens to use. I would suggest looking at other images with this lens and camera combinations and study what settings are being used, to give you an idea of where to go.

Hope this helps good luck.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

atsilverstein
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2015
NYC Metro
Jul 23, 2016 17:47 |  #8

Also one more thing, it may be the most obvious thing but I found over time my technique for actually holding the camera steady has improved. Make sure you have proper supporting posture and it's a good idea to "hold" your breath or be breathing out when shooting. The camera has to be as still as possible especially with that lens. Someone once mentioned it's similar to firearms techniques. The 50-100 lens I used weights 3 lbs and so I actually hold the end of the lens vs the camera, otherwise I get camera shake.

- William Ernest Henley

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by MalVeauX.
Jul 23, 2016 17:55 |  #9

Evertking wrote in post #18075548 (external link)

Heya,

Get away from trying to live at ISO 100. There's no difference between ISO 100 & 200 honestly for what you're doing. You can shoot that 5D all the way to ISO 800 without even batting an eyelash if you expose well, and higher with right histogram exposure techniques. I shoot two 5D classics primarily, love the old sensor, and you can push that old sensor just fine.

If you want a sharper image, you need it to be in focus, in depth of field, and fast enough shutter to avoid motion blur.

ISO 100 doesn't give a "sharper image."

If you expose up on your image, you'll see it pop more. You don't need any articificial increase in various settings some where. Just expose up and you'll see the difference in skin and color right away.

Selecting good light to shoot in has a big impact, instead of trying to think of settings and processing means to get what you want. Pick a place with shade, no direct sunlight, a lower ambient exposure value in the environment, and expose up for your subject. They will pop.

For spontaneous shooting of my kid(s) with a 5Dc, I generally just throw it into AV mode, whatever aperture I want, and I push ISO to 400 right away even in day light, just to ensure my shutter is fast, as you lose nothing by having it fast and there's next to no quality loss using ISO 400 on this camera, so you shouldn't worry about using it or not. I like to use partial metering mode with +1/3rd EC, shooting in RAW. Plenty of room to avoid clipped highlights and recover shadows if needed. And just go enjoy your kids!

Ex with a 5Dc:

IMAGE: https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8742/28425146925_82e98c4154_z.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/KiQi​S6] (external link)IMG_7328mark (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale

Evertking
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2016
Jul 23, 2016 18:41 |  #10

Thank you for the help and I can't wait to try these techniques to see how they help. And if I understand right, try and overexpose a little and see if that helps with the colors? The pic you posted is the rich colors that I am after. Thanks for all the tips!

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jul 23, 2016 18:45 |  #11

Evertking wrote in post #18075620 (external link)
Thank you for the help and I can't wait to try these techniques to see how they help. And if I understand right, try and overexpose a little and see if that helps with the colors? The pic you posted is the rich colors that I am after. Thanks for all the tips!

Not to confuse, but not overtly over-expose, but get exposure right, so that you're not under-exposed. Underexpose will have more noise and lower saturation. Exposure correct, or a bit to the right (not quite over-exposed, you don't want to clip highlights) and you'll have a cleaner image with more saturation. In sunny places, this is difficult because everything is too bright and washed out. Seek out the shade and try to look at your background so that it's not brighter than the subject if possible and expose for your subject.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale

sponsored links

5,469 views & 6 likes for this thread
Advice?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.