Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Aug 2014 (Friday) 15:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?

OceanRipple*
816 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jul 15, 2016 10:25 as a reply to  @ post 18067684 |  #1681

Hi, It's certainly possible to run one light doing pulsing HSS (?your Xplor) simultaneously with another doing Supersync (?your Rovelight) in the same network/shot.

sponsored links
golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,673 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 16, 2016 07:01 |  #1682

I received my Rovelight and have my first shoot tomorrow. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a boom that is strong enough to handle the Rovelight and softbox? I try and look through Amazon, but there seems to be thousands of them. Just looking for one that someone else has used and is happy with and confident in. Thanks.

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

agv8or
Goldmember
2,149 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by agv8or. (2 edits in all)

Jul 16, 2016 07:39 |  #1683

KHAWACHEN wrote in post #18067684 (external link)
I see...
Reason i ask is I picked up the Xplor 600 with R2 remote for Nikon (although it was double the price as RL600).
Was wondering if i just pick up an R2 receiver and attach it to the Rovelight then maybe i can use both together: Rovelight and Xplor.
Use RlL as backlight or side and use Xplor with TTL as main light. Both HSS.

But I have listed he Rovelight for sale so we'll see...

You do not need a separate receiver for the Rovelight if using the R2 transmitter. Put the V2 Rovelight transmitter in the hotshoe of the R2 transmitter. The R2 transmitter will now trigger both the Xplor and the Rovelight in HSS. You control the Xplor in Manual or TTL mode through the Wireless X system and the Rovelight via it's own transmitter in the hotshoe of the R2 transmitter. In HSS you can gain some flash exposure (if needed at 1/1 power) with the Rovelight by adding some "flash sync timing" dialed into the R2 transmitter in Custom Function "00". This delay in the FP sync signal does not usually effect the X system strobes in HSS as only about 20ms of delay is needed to optimize the flash exposure of the Rovelight.

Rand

Gear

OceanRipple*
816 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by OceanRipple*.

Jul 16, 2016 09:17 |  #1684

golfecho wrote in post #18068471 (external link)
I received my Rovelight and have my first shoot tomorrow. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a boom that is strong enough to handle the Rovelight and softbox? I try and look through Amazon, but there seems to be thousands of them. Just looking for one that someone else has used and is happy with and confident in. Thanks.

The Rovelight with modifier is quite heavy (c4.0 Kg combined), so I went with a Kupo Steel Baby boom and Drop down Pin - and a safety line. That boom requires a Grip-head which in turn requires a strong stand complete with full length welded-in Baby Pin top (ie. it looks like a C-stand top). A six Kg counter-balance Wt would get you a reasonable offset from the stand.

Stands to consider would be Kupo's 'High Baby', their 'Junior Roller' or MSE's Heavy duty Light weight triple riser Alu stand B387490. Braked wheels indoors - a leveling leg outside. Certainly don't go with anything weaker. IMO.

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,673 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 16, 2016 09:27 |  #1685

OceanRipple* wrote in post #18068553 (external link)
The Rovelight with modifier is quite heavy, so I went with a Kupo Steel Baby boom and Drop down Pin - and a safety line. That boom requires a Grip-head which in turn requires a strong stand complete with full length welded-in Baby Pin top (ie. it looks like a C-stand top). A six Kg counter-balance Wt would get you a reasonable offset from the stand.

Stands to consider would be Kupo's 'High Baby', their 'Junior Roller' or MSE's Heavy duty Light weight triple riser Alu stand B387490. Braked wheels indoors - a leveling leg outside. Certainly don't go with anything weaker. IMO.

Thanks much . . .

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,673 posts
Gallery: 1080 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 20, 2016 00:34 |  #1686

Rovelight 600B + 47" Brollybox

IMAGE: https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8742/28425146925_82e98c4154_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/KiQi​S6  (external link) IMG_7328mark (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7758/28142416860_f2a90464ec_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/JSRf​4N  (external link) IMG_7309mark (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8851/27809082693_090ee7ae7f_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/JnoP​qZ  (external link) IMG_4016mark (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8459/28346840561_2f5ee01c60_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/KbUY​7n  (external link) IMG_4014mark (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8610/28346882601_df9ae357c5_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/KbVb​Bc  (external link) IMG_4009mark (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)
For sale: Sekonic Litemaster L-478D (Free Shipping)

DThriller
Goldmember
1,946 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 20, 2016 09:30 |  #1687

^^^^

Your images… Corny

jk you rock that rove

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)
@DPhillipsStudios
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.co​m …/UCgAZ5-OKdg1YXONAjGu91zQ (external link)

Lafayette ­ Britto ­ Photo
205 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 24, 2016 20:12 |  #1688

Whats up guys?

I picked up back in may a pair of the RL600 and have been using them with my Yongnuo triggers for my nikon d800. I then switched systems to sony and picked up the Godox X1t-s for the sony camera, but I cant use it by itself... I have to always have the rovelight trigger on top of it. is that how its supposed to be ?

For some reason I was thinking that I would be able to eliminate the rovelight trigger completely and just use the Godox and it would talk to the strobe and I wouldnt be able to just adjust the power.

can anyone confirm this or if you are able to... can you share your settings?

Thanks in advanced

www.lafayettebritto.co​m (external link)

agv8or
Goldmember
2,149 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 24, 2016 21:38 |  #1689

Lafayette Britto Photo wrote in post #18076647 (external link)
Whats up guys?

I picked up back in may a pair of the RL600 and have been using them with my Yongnuo triggers for my nikon d800. I then switched systems to sony and picked up the Godox X1t-s for the sony camera, but I cant use it by itself... I have to always have the rovelight trigger on top of it. is that how its supposed to be ?

For some reason I was thinking that I would be able to eliminate the rovelight trigger completely and just use the Godox and it would talk to the strobe and I wouldnt be able to just adjust the power.

can anyone confirm this or if you are able to... can you share your settings?

Thanks in advanced

The Godox X system is not directly compatible with the RL600B. You either need to have an X1 receiver attached to each RL600B for triggering only or you can mount the RL600B transmitter in the hotshoe of the X1 transmitter.

Rand

Gear

MedicinSC
Goldmember
1,365 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 25, 2016 09:05 |  #1690

So, I used this for the first time (finally) yesterday. It performed well, right up to the end of the shoot. I was using it in a 43" octa, with inner diffuser only. It was being used in HSS/SS with Yongnuo 622C and Tx. It was on full power, but not being used in a rapid-fire shooting situation.

Towards the end, the flash would just randomly fire. This happened about three or four times.

My Mettle did the same thing, a while back, which is what prompted me to look for a new strobe. It, too, did three or four random fires towards the end of a shoot. Then, it became more frequent, until it is now barely usable.

I'm in south eastern South Carolina. I'm wondering if our humidity has anything to do with it. Or the heat. Or a combination of the two. I'm trying to find my manual to see if there are any specs detailing an ambient temp and humidity level range. Anyone know?

flowrider
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 25, 2016 09:35 as a reply to  @ MedicinSC's post |  #1691

Try replacing the batteries in the transmitters first and do a factory reset on them while you're at it. You July need one 622c as well if you have the V2 transmitter. Just place the V2 transmitter on a hotshoe adapter that will plug into the sync cord port of the 622c on the flash.

Al else failing, put it in for warranty.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

BJ_Nguyen
354 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 25, 2016 10:31 |  #1692

My Wife's maternity

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

MalVeauX
12,673 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 25, 2016 20:10 |  #1693

MedicinSC wrote in post #18076999 (external link)
So, I used this for the first time (finally) yesterday. It performed well, right up to the end of the shoot. I was using it in a 43" octa, with inner diffuser only. It was being used in HSS/SS with Yongnuo 622C and Tx. It was on full power, but not being used in a rapid-fire shooting situation.

Towards the end, the flash would just randomly fire. This happened about three or four times.

My Mettle did the same thing, a while back, which is what prompted me to look for a new strobe. It, too, did three or four random fires towards the end of a shoot. Then, it became more frequent, until it is now barely usable.

I'm in south eastern South Carolina. I'm wondering if our humidity has anything to do with it. Or the heat. Or a combination of the two. I'm trying to find my manual to see if there are any specs detailing an ambient temp and humidity level range. Anyone know?

Heya,

I had the same thing on one of my Rovelights a while back, it was the YN622 I was using. I tried a different transceiver and it doesn't do it anymore. Change it up and see how it does. It could be the pc sync cord if it's not snug & tight. It could be the transceiver just leaking signal. Test both transceivers, the one on the Rove and the one on the camera since they talk.

Very best,

Brad999
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Brad999.

Jul 26, 2016 06:38 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #1694

My Rovelight also randomly fires. I need to rule out the transmitter as well.

I'm pretty much moving towards the ND Filter camp and getting away from HSS. Sitting there taking shots and trying to chimp in the sunshine doesn't seem like the proper way to go about this to me. I like more control over my environment and know that when I click that button, I get what I want.

MalVeauX
12,673 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 26, 2016 07:54 |  #1695

Brad999 wrote in post #18077906 (external link)
My Rovelight also randomly fires. I need to rule out the transmitter as well.

I'm pretty much moving towards the ND Filter camp and getting away from HSS. Sitting there taking shots and trying to chimp in the sunshine doesn't seem like the proper way to go about this to me. I like more control over my environment and know that when I click that button, I get what I want.

My latest stuff was all without HSS and without ND filter, just at normal sync speed, manual strobing. I just selected places/times where ambient light would be at range of exposure that would be ok with sync speed settings and wide aperture and did my shoots in those times & locations. If it's really bright out, I just use a ND filter and F2.8, and it's fine like that. Once you're used to metering with a light meter and there's no guess work, it's faster, smoother, and you get what you want with measurements to know you're there, instead of looking at an LCD to guess. Funny thing is I got the Rovelight for the HSS, but ultimately I use it less and less. Granted, there were not great options for a portable 600ws strobe at the time. I don't regret it, my light has been bullet proof.

Very best,

sponsored links

371,730 views & 478 likes for this thread
Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.