Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 18 Jul 2016 (Monday) 18:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #595 - Taken This Week

teekay
Goldmember
2,556 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by teekay.
Jul 18, 2016 18:58 |  #1

ANY subject but your photo must be taken THIS WEEK - i.e. between the time the last challenge closed and the time this one closes. In your title please just show the DAY and PLACE the photo was taken, and let the subject speak for itself. Hope to see a good variety of fine compositions - no excuse not to enter this week!

RESULTS!

Expected more entries this week, but thanks to everyone who did enter with a variety that still makes it hard to choose.

A few comments:

JimAskew - At the Mall: A good clear shot despite lighting that's not easy in most malls. Some might have corrected the perspective distortion but in this shot I think it does work better leaving it as is.

Trumper - N.W. Cambridgeshire: This was actually my favourite but for the wrong reasons - nostalgia, not necessarily composition. Took me instantly me back to the summer farmland of my youth in England - thank you!

M_Six - Bowl of Chips: Mouthwatering - they wouldn't last long in my house, but I would avoid the scale next morning! Maybe cropped a little tight?

Maureen Souza - Lemons and Limes: No day, place or EXIF but I trust it was taken this week?;-)a I'm not a fan of most still-life shots but you've got the lighting and composition just right here to show the texture and colours perfectly. Nice one!

Raven - Back yard: Like the summer colours, but maybe a bit too noisy?

OhLook - Local front yard: The pastel colours and unusual diagonal composition make this a very pleasant shot - I like it.

Winners - feel free to mention your own favourites as they probably won't match mine:

#1 JimAskew for his morning at the mall
#2 OhLook for her front yard flowers
#3 Maureen Souza for her lemons and limes

Take it away, Jim!

Remember, if you post a photo, you may be the winner. Be prepared to host and judge a new challenge, choosing first, second and third place entries.

To submit, click POST TO THREAD and put your photo title in the first line of the post. Don't forget your camera model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, July 25, 2016.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1,G2,G3,G5,G6,G7,G9,G​10,G11,G12,G15,G16,G1 X,G3 X,G5 X,G7 X,G9 X,G1 X mark II,G7 X Mark II and powershot Pro 1.

2. Time -- Any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.

3. Size -- Photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.

4. Post-Processing -- Do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.

5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo title in the message subject line.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.

7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.

8. Questions?-- Send me a PM.

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT.
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT or earlier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.
Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

sponsored links
JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by JimAskew.
Jul 19, 2016 12:37 |  #2

A Tuesday Morning Visit to the Local Mall
G5X: f/4, 1/125th, ISO 250, 9MM

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

Trumper
712 posts
Joined May 2003
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Trumper.
Jul 19, 2016 15:35 |  #3

G1X MK11
Tuesday afternoon
North West Cambridgeshire England UK

HOSTED PHOTO

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,578 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by M_Six.
Jul 20, 2016 22:36 |  #4

Bowl of Chips
Shot today
G7x
f2.8
1/250 sec
ISO 1600
36.8mm (100mm eq)

IMAGE: https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8799/28365877701_8746811946_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/KdAx​bV] (external link)Bowl of Chips (external link) by Mark Johnson (external link), on Flickr

Mark J.
Gear

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,624 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Jul 21, 2016 01:53 |  #5

Lemons & Limes (Putting Away the Groceries)

Pro1

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Seattle area, WA, USA
Jul 23, 2016 21:58 |  #6

Back Yard on Thursday

G5x

IMAGE: http://jimowensphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v27/p2069358190-5.jpg

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,970 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jul 23, 2016 23:07 |  #7

A local front yard, July 18

HOSTED PHOTO
G15

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

teekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,556 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by teekay.
Jul 25, 2016 10:17 |  #8

Challenge now closed, results later.

P.S. Results now at the top.

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Seattle area, WA, USA
Jul 26, 2016 02:12 |  #9

Congrats Jim, OhLook and Maureen. Very nice shots this week.

Agreed, teekay, my shot had a fair amount of noise. Didn't notice it that much until I enlarged it a bit.
This was taken the first day I began shooting with this new camera. For some reason, the ISO bumped up to 1600 and I didn't notice it had done so until too late to retake the shot.
I was shooting in AV mode and I'm pretty sure I had some settings wrong (or missed a setting in my haste to start using the camera :-)).

rpolitsr
Joined Jun 2005
Quito - Ecuador
Jul 26, 2016 02:15 |  #10

Congratulations JimAskew, OhLook and Maureen for the top places and thumbs up for the other participants.
Thank you teekay for running and judging the challenge.
I always enjoy following the G-series challenges. I hope to find the conditions to return to active participation in the near future.

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleriesexternal link
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,624 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Jul 26, 2016 03:40 |  #11

Sorry about the absence of date in my title; I wrote 'putting away groceries' & meant to add the date but got distracted by relatives staying with me last week. Congrats to Jim & OhLook & thanks for challenge Teekay.
We have been fairly housebound the last 10 days due to hot weather, company & I did 3 photo shoots in the midst of it all so I didn't get out except to run to the grocery store one evening.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,578 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by M_Six.
Jul 26, 2016 07:41 |  #12

Kudos to Jim, OhLook, and Maureen.

Love the lemons and limes, Maureen. Just bought myself a lemon/lime juice press, coincidentally.

TeeKay, that was the original framing with just a bit off the top cropped off. I had to shoot tight because of other distractions around the bowl.

Mark J.
Gear

Trumper
712 posts
Joined May 2003
Jul 26, 2016 07:54 |  #13

:lol: Well done ,once again a nice variation of subjects.Shopping centres/malls are a reasonably new way over here in the UK but don't they all look the similiar throughout the world.
Food and nature ,a common theme in most challenges :) .
Well done everyone and thanks for hosting,be nice to see Raphael back hopefully soon .

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Jul 26, 2016 08:30 |  #14

Congratulations to OhLook (2nd) and Maureen (3rd), and many thanks, teekay, for the 1st place nod. This was a fun challenge that forced us to grab our cameras and take a shot during the week. Very clever teekay and well played by all :-)

teekay I agree on the perspective of my photo...I considered straightening it but then after reflection I decided that the slight lean in on the left and right invited the eye into the photo center :-). Springfield Mall is less than a year old having been completely rebuilt from the bones of a 70's Mall. The wife and I visit there often to enjoy lunch, shop, and enjoy a cool walk for an 1/2 hour or so :-)

I am really beginning to enjoy my new G5X...the capabilities of this little gem amaze me and with 20.1MP files I find that there is a new picture hidden within every picture I take...gotta love the crop tool :-)

I will have a new contest up shortly...I already have the theme worked out :-)

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Jul 26, 2016 09:39 |  #15

New Contest is posted --- Shadows! Good luck to all :-)

sponsored links

3,906 views & 1 like for this thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.