Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 27 Jul 2016 (Wednesday) 11:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Background Blur

troutfisher
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
West Yorkshire UK
Jul 27, 2016 11:51 |  #1

I wonder if anyone can suggest a less circuitous route than the one I am using at the moment to achieve my desired effect

The photo below was taken with a Sigma 15mm fisheye f3.5 at a camera to subject distant of about 18-24"
the lens only goes to f2.8 so that would not have made a great deal of difference

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

It does not show all that well on here but as would be expected from the lens the DoF is enormous and the back wall is in sharp focus.
I want to get the sculpture in focus and the back wall blurred ( I appreciate that using a faster lens ,f1.4 would have done the job but I would not have been able to get close enough-MFD etc and I did not have one with me)
What I am doing at the moment is to mask the sculpture and select, copy this to a new file.
Then apply gaussian blur to the whole image and then paste back the selected part of the image.
This gives me the desired effect but it seems very complicated.
I have tried putting the sculpture on a new layer and then blurring the background but this does not work, so am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

sponsored links
chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
MI/CO
Jul 27, 2016 12:01 |  #2

Your technique is sound...have you tried using "lens blur" rather than gaussian blur?

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43external link

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Jul 27, 2016 12:08 |  #3

Try this technique: https://www.youtube.co​m ...4P6jSEo&index=166&l​ist=WL (external link)

It's definitely complicated but what you are asking for isn't very easy to do without looking cheesy.

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,408 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Jul 27, 2016 12:35 |  #4

You can use the Lens Blur filter in PS and make a "Depth Map" that will guide the application of the Lens Blur throughout the image. You typically do this just like you would create a mask - White in the depth map represents no added blur and black in the map represents fully blurred, according to the blur settings you choose. Then you select this map in the Lens Blur filter dialog and PS will apply the full blur settings according to the strength you prescribe in the map image.

Attached is an example of the filter - the inset image shows the depth map I made. I used the pen tool to trace the statue and plinth upon which it sits. I made a gradient to generally indicate depth and then loaded the pen tool path as a selection and filled it with white to make the entire statue "in focus". I did this operation on a layer and then copied that layer and pasted it into a new alpha channel. The Lens Blur tool permits you to select an alpha channel as a depth map.

You can also use the depth map image (or the path you made to produce the image) as a mask for further edits - I added some clarity and sharpness to the image but used the depth map as a mask on that layer to limit the adjustment to the statue.

Be reasonable with the blur - too much is too much.

Have fun!

Kirk

HOSTED PHOTO

Kirk
---

troutfisher
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
West Yorkshire UK
Jul 27, 2016 12:46 as a reply to kirkt's post |  #5

Thank you that's what I was trying to do, it seems I have a bit of a learning curve

Chris

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,408 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Jul 27, 2016 15:07 |  #6

troutfisher wrote in post #18079152 (external link)
Thank you that's what I was trying to do, it seems I have a bit of a learning curve

Here is a Dropbox link to download the PSD file I created to produce the above image:

https://www.dropbox.co​m ...2bi9oa8rm/statue.ps​d?dl=0 (external link)

You can take a look at the layers, etc.

kirk

Kirk
---

troutfisher
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
West Yorkshire UK
Jul 27, 2016 15:58 as a reply to kirkt's post |  #7

Thank you for that,much appreciated and it will be very helpful

Chris

Damo77
Goldmember
4,540 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Jul 27, 2016 20:48 |  #8

troutfisher wrote in post #18079083 (external link)
What I am doing at the moment is to mask the sculpture and select, copy this to a new file.
Then apply gaussian blur to the whole image and then paste back the selected part of the image.
This gives me the desired effect but it seems very complicated.
I have tried putting the sculpture on a new layer and then blurring the background but this does not work, so am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks in advance

Chris

You're missing the clone step. The clone step is vital.
Method (external link)

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

troutfisher
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
West Yorkshire UK
Jul 30, 2016 09:25 |  #9

Just to say thank you to all those who contributed
I think I am well on the way with this

Before

HOSTED PHOTO

And after

HOSTED PHOTO

Once again thanks for everyone's help

Chris

twists ­ n ­ turns
Joined Apr 2016
Jul 30, 2016 14:09 as a reply to kirkt's post |  #10

Ty! :)

twists ­ n ­ turns
Joined Apr 2016
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by twists n turns. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 30, 2016 14:10 as a reply to troutfisher's post |  #11

Not quite there yet mate :( Trickier image too id think. You have more foreground too/less of a subject to work on to convince the viewer.
Just my 2p :/

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jul 30, 2016 14:20 |  #12

rather than allowing the lens to AF, just stick it at it's minimum focus distance and try it from there. You can shoot closer than the technical MFD with such a wide lens and still get close subject in focus.

that may or may not work, so keep practicing your masking and use a gradient to select the OOF areas as in post 4. You can even create multiple channels and then add each selection to the previous to build a more complex selection.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,476 posts
Joined May 2012
Olympia, WA
Jul 31, 2016 18:36 |  #13

Wouldn't it make more sense to just shoot with a non-UWA lens and let the focal length compression create the bokeh you're looking for?

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canonexternal link
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitudeexternal link

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,408 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by kirkt.
Aug 01, 2016 08:48 |  #14

One way to get a wide FOV with a shallow DOF is to use the "Brenizer Method":

https://en.wikipedia.o​rg/wiki/Brenizer_Metho​d (external link)

to stitch together a series of images shot with a longer focal length at wide open aperture. This method can be performed handheld with some practice and a good understanding of the requirements for your particular stitching solution.

There is an online calculator:

http://brettmaxwellpho​to.com/Brenizer-Method-Calculation/ (external link)

That will estimate the effective aperture and focal length of your stitched image, given the focal length, aperture, single image size and composite image size of your source shots.

Attached is a quick test of the method I made a while ago - it's an award-winning image for sure! I used a 135mm lens and shot at f/4 from a distance of about 15-20 feet to the car. There were cars parked on either side of the subject, a few parking spots away, so it was relatively easy to define the borders of the field of view during composition and shooting of the image sequence.

The use of a longer focal length permits you to stand further away from the subject, which can potentially help reduce parallax errors during stitching. As with any stitching solution, there are issues that may require some post work, like moving subjects in the field of view, or ghosting issues due to moving or changing elements in the background. Anticipating the post work required to remove or deal with these elements will aid in capturing enough data at shooting time to create a nice, seamless comp.

Kirk

HOSTED PHOTO

Kirk
---

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Aug 01, 2016 08:58 |  #15

kirkt wrote in post #18079131 (external link)
You can use the Lens Blur filter in PS and make a "Depth Map" that will guide the application of the Lens Blur throughout the image. You typically do this just like you would create a mask - White in the depth map represents no added blur and black in the map represents fully blurred, according to the blur settings you choose. Then you select this map in the Lens Blur filter dialog and PS will apply the full blur settings according to the strength you prescribe in the map image.

Thanks for this!
I've not used the Lens Blur filter with any success before. This is definitely helpful.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sponsored links

3,646 views & 4 likes for this thread
Background Blur
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.