Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 29 Jul 2016 (Friday) 07:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

EOS-M and M2

Ming-Tzu
777 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Ming-Tzu.
Jul 29, 2016 07:55 |  #1

Currently, have the original M with the 22mm prime lens. Bought it a few years ago when there was a fire sale for $200 I believe. Didn't use it for a while but decided to bust it out the other day.

Love the 22mm. Also have the EF adapter and have been using my 85L and 135L on it. Although the weight distribution is off, which was expected, love the image quality.

Now that I'm using the original M, was debating to get the m2. Was gonna jump to the m3 but leaning towards a no on that because:

1) Don't feel like buying new batteries
2) According to reviews, form factor is slightly larger than the m2
3) I'd rather wait and see about the supposed new EOS-M body than jump to the m3

Question is, should I wait to get the m2 until this new body is announced? How much do you think m2 prices will decrease? Does my logic make sense? lol

Lastly, I know the place to buy the body will be on Ebay. Any suggestions on sellers and approximate price range for a new body?

<insert gear here>

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Jul 29, 2016 08:13 |  #2

Do you need slightly faster autofocus?

I asked myself the same question and decided to stick with the M1 since it was so damned cheap. Saves the cash I would have spent in another Lee filter. No regrets.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

troehr
681 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by troehr.
Jul 29, 2016 08:49 |  #3

I am not sure there will be another new M soon. They just released the M3 and M10 late last year. As for the M2, it is not really much different than the M1.

Ming-Tzu
THREAD ­ STARTER
777 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Jul 29, 2016 09:02 as a reply to troehr's post |  #4

I saw on Canon Rumors that they might be announcing a new "pro" M body at Photokina. So might just wait to see what that's about and make a move after that.

I don't 'need" to replace my m1, but using my EF lenses was kind of slow, so was debating. Not a huge deal as I'm not taking action shots but would be nice to have faster AF, within reason.

Might just stick with the m1 for now and see where the wind blows in the next 1-2 months.

<insert gear here>

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Jul 29, 2016 09:04 |  #5

I'm also waiting for a FF mirrorless from Canon. I think they will make one. When, I'm not sure. I'm good for now but anxiously awaiting....

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by MalVeauX.
Jul 29, 2016 13:34 |  #6

Heya,

I'm still using the M1. The M2 is defunct. The M3 is better considerably in serveral areas. If my M1 died, I'd just get an M3 for $380 or so, as that seems to be the going price in various markets. The M2 is just the M1 with very minimal differences. The M3 has significant differences. But my perspective is entirely from the 22mm F2 STM. That lens is why I have the M series. I don't use other lenses on my M, because to me, there's no point having a telephoto on a pocketable camera, as it becomes unpocketable. Just my own use. That said, getting another M2 or M3 doesn't matter if you're using the 22mm F2, that lens focuses slowly no matter what, compared to a lightning fast USM. I'm ok with that. Because I don't use my M for anything that needs fast AF.

I'm happy with the EOS-M1 & 22mm F2 overall for what it is, but it's a general camera to me, for carrying around, a nice little pocket/travel/general camera when I don't want to carry an SLR & telephoto/zoom/biglens​. But I won't be investing into the M series beyond that. It has to mature up a lot for me to actually do any dedicated lenses to the EF-M mount, and definitely won't creep the M body releases. Which is why I'm sticking with M1 for now.

My absolute biggest gripe/issue with the M series is this: no tethering. They crippled that ability, even with the M3. This is ultra annoying to me, as the M series is the one camera I would actually want to have tethering with.

I would get a new M if it had:

1. In body stabilization
2. Tethering full functionality
3. Built in optical or EVF, I don't want attachments

2 of those 3 would satisfy me honestly.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Ming-Tzu
THREAD ­ STARTER
777 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Jul 29, 2016 14:45 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #7

Yeah, if I was only sticking with the M+22mm lens, I wouldn't get anything else either. And, even though I kind of dig putting my other EF lenses on the M, I still might stick with the original because it's done the job so far.

I was mainly considering the M2 or M3, out of curiosity and a wanting to upgrade my original M. Nothing too urgent or major, I don't get paid to do this. Strictly a very low form of "gearlust" lol

Also, with regards to adding longer lenses onto the M, I totally agree for the most part. I usually only have the 22mm lens on there. But sometimes I like to mix it up when I do my event photography and bust out a telephoto on the M, to see how it looks lol

<insert gear here>

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jul 29, 2016 14:57 |  #8

Ming-Tzu wrote in post #18081279 (external link)
Yeah, if I was only sticking with the M+22mm lens, I wouldn't get anything else either. And, even though I kind of dig putting my other EF lenses on the M, I still might stick with the original because it's done the job so far.

I was mainly considering the M2 or M3, out of curiosity and a wanting to upgrade my original M. Nothing too urgent or major, I don't get paid to do this. Strictly a very low form of "gearlust" lol

Also, with regards to adding longer lenses onto the M, I totally agree for the most part. I usually only have the 22mm lens on there. But sometimes I like to mix it up when I do my event photography and bust out a telephoto on the M, to see how it looks lol

I know what you mean, I've tried to enjoy the M with various lenses, from vintage manual focus stuff to crazy 600mm stuff (with a 2.0x TC & 1.4x TC stacked for a really long focal length). The M adapts and does it all well enough. But for carrying around and actually using it, I just really end up always prefering to keep it simple with the 22mm F2. That lens is why I got the M in the first place, because it was a wide, fast, really sharp little prime on a mirrorless system, making the whole system much smaller than my dSLR's, while keeping an APS-C sensor (which is huge for a compact really) and keeping the ability to easily use my other EF stuff with it.

My attraction to the M3 is the flip out LCD, Wifi to control remotely without hackware (tragic lantern), faster (slightly) better AF system, more resolution, etc. But, still no tethering which is a big bummer. And I'm not a fan of the attachment EVF at all as it becomes too large and bulky as a compact system to remain compact, where a M43 or small DSLR basically becomes more relevant to me when I cannot put it in a jacket pocket anymore.

Anyhow, here's some funny adaptions I've done with the M. It certainly works. Just isn't good enough at everything to be a primary system for me. Really is great as a general/travel camera though and so that's what I use it for these days. I really like it as my fishing camera, generally side kick to a telephoto so I have a small wide angle on hand.

IMAGE: https://c6.staticflickr.com/6/5562/14787379901_89f04a3dec_z.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/owHb​RT] (external link)IMG_6920 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5561/14800959332_d1315454ff_z.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/oxUM​y1] (external link)IMG_6988 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5570/15018986067_b24d3fa1ab_z.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/oTbe​iD] (external link)IMG_0747 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7532/15915133766_0ca1225811_z.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qfnd​N3] (external link)IMG_1897 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5673/23408873833_68c16fcd4f_z.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/BEyA​CZ] (external link)a495 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c5.staticflickr.com/2/1526/25522296060_337cc7818f_z.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ETjr​rf] (external link)IMG_1990 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Ming-Tzu
THREAD ­ STARTER
777 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Jul 29, 2016 15:24 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #9

One other thing that interested me about the M3 was the viewfinder. But, like you said, having it as an optional hot shoe mount is not ideal. I have the little Canon flash for when I need it, so the viewfinder taking up that space is not great. But was willing to overlook it because focusing via the LCD screen in the daytime is not that ideal either.

<insert gear here>

Tim ­ S
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006
Michigan
Jul 31, 2016 11:30 |  #10

I bought the M3 as a travel camera because of the ability to attach any of my current lenses. Here is a snap from my first trip: Auger Falls, NY. Camera settings: M, 1/8, f/16, ISO 100, EF-M 18-55 IS STM

Really liking this camera! I'm probably going to carry this as my second body for football instead of my 7D.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Tim
Equipment

Ming-Tzu
THREAD ­ STARTER
777 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Aug 02, 2016 12:34 |  #11

B&H running a sale on the m3+viewfinder combo. Whole package is $470. Essentially, you get the camera for $479, and the viewfinder is negative $10, so the whole thing is $469.

I know I said I would wait and see until Photokina to see what would be released, but pulled the trigger.

Impulse purchase! Should I cancel the order???

<insert gear here>

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Aug 02, 2016 12:52 |  #12

Is your firmware on the eosm up to date, that did improve the AF...personally about your new purchase if they do announce something at photokina it will either be not much of an update for more money, or a bigger update at double the price...i predict not much of an update

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

sponsored links

2,382 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS-M and M2
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.