Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 14 Aug 2016 (Sunday) 18:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I.D. help please, Black-headed Grosbeak?

WiscTim
Joined Mar 2010
northeast Wisconsin, USA
Aug 14, 2016 18:51 |  #1

This bird briefly visited our yard in northeast Wisconsin last week. I thought at first it was an American robin as it had a yellowish-orange breast. Then I saw the head that was similar to the female rose-breasted grosbeaks we see in spring and fall, except it had whiter stripes. After looking at Peterson's Field Guide and allaboutbirds.org, the coloring and dark bill made me think it might be a female black-headed grosbeak, but northeast Wisconsin is several states east of the listed range for this bird. Is this a female black-headed grosbeak, a young rose-breasted grosbeak, or something else?

Thanks for help. I was shooting across an asphalt driveway and I think the heat haze was causing problems in getting sharp photos, but these should be good enough for identification purposes.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Beekeeper
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
Dayton, Ohio, United States
Aug 14, 2016 23:21 |  #2

Got any other shots that show the breast?

Zach--C&C is welcome on my photos
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/46367607@N06/ (external link)
7DI Body Gripped|7DII Gripped|EF 85mm1.8|EF 50mm1.4|EF 100mm2.8L IS Macro|EF-S 10-22mm|EF 400mm5.6L|430EXII|580E​XII

WiscTim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2010
northeast Wisconsin, USA
Aug 15, 2016 10:25 |  #3

Beekeeper wrote in post #18095735 (external link)
Got any other shots that show the breast?

I do not have any other angles, the bird did not turn on the perch. When I first saw the bird it was moving through the branches behind leaves so somewhat obscured, but it had an yellowish-orange breast (which does not show in the photos) and it was not as streaked as the female rose-breasted grosbeaks I normally see in the spring.

Beekeeper
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
Dayton, Ohio, United States
Aug 15, 2016 17:27 as a reply to WiscTim's post |  #4

Really think it's a juvenile male Rose breasted grossbeak.

Zach--C&C is welcome on my photos
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/46367607@N06/ (external link)
7DI Body Gripped|7DII Gripped|EF 85mm1.8|EF 50mm1.4|EF 100mm2.8L IS Macro|EF-S 10-22mm|EF 400mm5.6L|430EXII|580E​XII

WiscTim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2010
northeast Wisconsin, USA
Aug 15, 2016 22:23 |  #5

Beekeeper wrote in post #18096540 (external link)
Really think it's a juvenile male Rose breasted grossbeak.

Thanks for the i.d. I have only seen the adult rose-breasted grosbeaks when they migrate through, and I could not find any photos of juveniles.

2,351 views & 0 likes for this thread
I.D. help please, Black-headed Grosbeak?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.