Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 14 Aug 2016 (Sunday) 07:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Baby Photography - feedback please

kid007
Joined Jan 2010
Western Australia, Australia.
Aug 14, 2016 07:45 |  #1

Hello,

Its only been a month or so since i have taken up baby photography and I would like to improve! Your feedback will be much appreciated. I am interested in the PP and how I could improve and certainly interested in listening about the pose.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D Mark 2, 400D, 24-70 f2.8 L, 50mm f1.8, 100mm f2.8 IS L, 70-200 f2.8 IS L, Zeiss 50mm f1.4 T* ZE and 580EX2
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kid007/ (external link)

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Aug 14, 2016 09:33 |  #2

Pose is good to my eye. I appears to be a little cool. Is the blanket gray or white? If so, try warming it up.

I know that sleeping neonate pictures are a genre -- babies after all spend most of their time doing that. Still, I yearn to see a shot with eyes open. I think many parents would feel the same way. It does take patience, however. That's hard to justify when one is paying the photographer for time.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

PhotosGuy
74,876 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Aug 14, 2016 11:55 |  #3

It's OK. Why not try to schedule the shoot after the nap time?
I'm not a fan of newborns & prefer 6 months old when they have some personality. Look at: Baby Photography

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
MI/CO
Aug 14, 2016 17:38 |  #4

Use a longer lens...go for 85 mm or longer.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43external link

kid007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
Aug 14, 2016 19:21 as a reply to joedlh's post |  #5

Thanks Joedlh, the blanket is turquoise colour and I have tried to bump up the warmth just to a point where i was starting to get concerned about the skin tones... may be I will bump it up a bit more.

Cheers.

5D Mark 2, 400D, 24-70 f2.8 L, 50mm f1.8, 100mm f2.8 IS L, 70-200 f2.8 IS L, Zeiss 50mm f1.4 T* ZE and 580EX2

kid007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
Aug 14, 2016 23:26 |  #6

chauncey wrote in post #18095519 (external link)
Use a longer lens...go for 85 mm or longer.

Hi Chauncey, bit short of space and hence used the 24-70 at 40mm. I will try in a different room (where light is still good) to get some distance between subject and myself.

Thanks.

kid007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
Aug 14, 2016 23:29 |  #7

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18095265 (external link)
It's OK. Why not try to schedule the shoot after the nap time?
I'm not a fan of newborns & prefer 6 months old when they have some personality. Look at: Baby Photography

I dont mind closed eye new borns as they do give a sense of calmness and the care free world they live in! I will be aiming to taking with eyes open too and as the client with subject, I am sure to have multiple opportunities to do so :)

NBEast
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
So Cal
Aug 15, 2016 00:40 |  #8

I'd get the mom in the shot.

Another great newborn shot is for dad to hand-hold it emphasize the tiny size.

Gear List / Photosexternal link

kid007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
Aug 15, 2016 22:36 |  #9

NBEast wrote in post #18095777 (external link)
I'd get the mom in the shot.

Another great newborn shot is for dad to hand-hold it emphasize the tiny size.

Agrred. I Need to look up on poses for mom and bub together. I have tried previously with least success and I need to learn on face angle, hold position and light angle to ensure light is spread evenly (close to) on both subjects to achieve an acceptable output.

Thanks.

NBEast
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
So Cal
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by NBEast. 4 edits done in total.
Aug 16, 2016 13:39 |  #10

kid007 wrote in post #18096822 (external link)
Agrred. I Need to look up on poses for mom and bub together. I have tried previously with least success and I need to learn on face angle, hold position and light angle to ensure light is spread evenly (close to) on both subjects to achieve an acceptable output.

Thanks.

Logical plan Mr Spock!  :p

I wouldn't obsess over it but I've found it helpful to notice the "lines" when studying posing styles. In photography, "lines" can be eye direction (eyeline), matching contours, direction people are facing, body twists, background lines, etc.

You're not looking for a classically fake smile snapshot, although just about anything with a mom + newborn can become a treasure later. Softer lighting helps as can correct (maybe slightly warmed) color balancing - so the skin tones aren't all green or yellowed or unnaturally pale.

Gear List / Photosexternal link

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
MI/CO
Aug 16, 2016 14:03 |  #11

I wouldn't obsess over it

You are so right...mediocre photography is good enough.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43external link

atsilverstein
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2015
NYC Metro
Aug 16, 2016 14:37 |  #12

I think at ISO 1000 under weak lighting the image quality is being jeopardized and in my opinion that's not suitable for paying client portrait work. I'm not saying I think it's a bad image it's not, it's definitely a nice image. It needed higher quality light, warmer tone, better focus, and possibly a different lens. Maybe something like a 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 if there's space comcerns.

Also if you're going to be shooting at the client's house, it seems like most newborn photographers either bring a portable studio with them or shoot it as an environmental. That way you can comfortably shoot at more flattering angles.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Aug 16, 2016 20:14 |  #13

a reflector would have gone a long way to even out the highlights and shadows. Look at the eyebrows. Clearly this child has fairly strong features for a newborn but the highlight above the eyebrow and the shadow below (really talking right/left, but above below as a sitting standing person would be seen) is not flattering.

Try to go longer, even if you have your back and head pressed against the wall, every little bit helps when you are below 50mm.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Qbx
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Aug 16, 2016 21:16 |  #14

I don't see the need for a longer lens for this shot. In a different pose where there was a significant difference in distance between feet- and head- to camera then a longer lens would be warranted.
What bothers me is that although this baby has a shock of dark hair, it is lost in shadow and mostly OOF. In fact, the shot looks a bit front-focused to me. I think a tripod and a higher f-stop is needed. Fill flash would also help with putting some highlights in the hair.
As far as PP for this shot, I'd try lifting the shadows on the little critter's forehead.

-- Image Editing OK --

kid007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
Aug 17, 2016 22:02 |  #15

Qbx wrote in post #18097742 (external link)
I don't see the need for a longer lens for this shot. In a different pose where there was a significant difference in distance between feet- and head- to camera then a longer lens would be warranted.
What bothers me is that although this baby has a shock of dark hair, it is lost in shadow and mostly OOF. In fact, the shot looks a bit front-focused to me. I think a tripod and a higher f-stop is needed. Fill flash would also help with putting some highlights in the hair.
As far as PP for this shot, I'd try lifting the shadows on the little critter's forehead.

thanks :) The intent was to minimise the impact of dark hair (as requested)...the skin was smoothed out.

sponsored links

1,975 views & 2 likes for this thread
Baby Photography - feedback please
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.