Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 16 Aug 2016 (Tuesday) 10:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #599 (previously labeled #596) - Seats, Benches, Chairs...

teekay
Goldmember
2,612 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by teekay. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 16, 2016 10:50 |  #1

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #596 - Seats, Benches, Chairs

Seats, benches or chairs (singular or plural) with or without people (not pets) sitting on them. Best overall composition will win.

RESULTS!

A few comments:

M_Six - "Where to sit": An unusual composition, making for a shot I kept coming back to.

Trumper - "Grandstand view but no one seated": An ultra moody shot that stirs the imagination, as a good photo should. I'd maybe try some processing for even more drama?

Maureen Souza - "Empty Seats": Couldn't be easy to get a whole Ferris Wheel focused into one crisp shot, and the result is an excellent challenge entry.

Sibil - "Looking up from a wicker chair": I like old wicker chairs and the craftsmanship involved, and appreciate this unusual viewpoint, but more obvious "chair" in the shot would have been desirable.

Jim Askew - "Remember When Cars Had Real Seats": And how they were better for courting?? A fine nostalgic shot - do you own that car?

OhLook - "Newspaper chair model": Did you make that? If so, I'm impressed by your skill with paper as well as the lighting, focusing and composition.

CarloY - "Nice place, but no takers": Certainly lots of chairs - is there a story behind the lack of customers?

I had to wrestle with the order of winners, but here goes:

WINNERS:

Gold: Trumper - the next challenge is all yours!
Silver: A tie between M-Six and OhLook
Bronze: Maureen Souza

Now, I'd be most interested in know YOUR picks for the podium if YOU had the difficult job of judging this one - go for it!:twisted:

Remember, if you post a photo, you may be the winner. Be prepared to host and judge a new challenge, choosing first, second and third place entries.

To submit, click POST TO THREAD and put your photo title in the first line of the post. Don't forget your camera model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, August 22, 2016.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1,G2,G3,G5,G6,G7,G9,G​10,G11,G12,G15,G16,G1 X,G3 X,G5 X,G7 X,G9 X,G1 X mark II,G7 X Mark II and Powershot Pro 1.

2. Time -- Any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.

3. Size -- Photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.

4. Post-Processing -- Do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.

5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo title in the message subject line.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.

7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.

8. Questions?-- Send me a PM.

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT.
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT or earlier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.
Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

sponsored links
M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,603 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Aug 16, 2016 11:15 |  #2

Where to sit?

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7320/26726233360_cb069abc0a_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GHGW​3U] (external link)Chicago (external link) by Mark Johnson (external link), on Flickr

Mark J.
Gear

Trumper
732 posts
Joined May 2003
Aug 17, 2016 15:15 |  #3

G1XMK11
Grandstand view --but no one seated.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,648 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Aug 17, 2016 22:21 |  #4

Empty Seats

Pro1

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
5,234 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Aug 18, 2016 12:59 |  #5

Looking up from a wicker chair
G11 + fisheye attachment

IMAGE: http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/Mirook/IMG_7154chair.jpg

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Aug 18, 2016 17:50 |  #6

Remember When Cars Had Real Seats?
G5X: f/4, 1/125th, ISO 250, 9MM

HOSTED PHOTO

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,262 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Aug 21, 2016 21:19 |  #7

Newspaper chair model

HOSTED PHOTO
G15

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

CarloY
677 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Aug 22, 2016 01:37 |  #8

Nice place, but no takers?
Canon G9

HOSTED PHOTO

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

teekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,612 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Aug 22, 2016 10:17 |  #9

Thanks everyone! Challenge now closed and I'll have the results ASAP.

teekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,612 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Aug 22, 2016 17:33 |  #10

Results now at the top.

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
5,234 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Aug 22, 2016 18:11 |  #11

Congrats to the winners. I loved the shots.

teekay wrote in post #18097206 (external link)
[Sibil - "Looking up from a wicker chair": I like old wicker chairs and the craftsmanship involved, and appreciate this unusual viewpoint, but a bit more obvious "chair" in the shot would have been desirable.

Thanks for the observation. I often try for different / unexpected kind of perspectives with the images I enter into competitions; to get a feel for what you all experts think. Sometimes the pictures receives some kind of positive feedback, but often they do not :cry: I just learn and move on.

Thank you for hosting and judging.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,262 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Aug 22, 2016 18:38 |  #12

Congratulations to the winners, and cheers for the other contributors. teekay, thank you for awarding me half of the silver medal. I guess it's semicircular?

teekay wrote in post #18097206 (external link)
OhLook - "Newspaper chair model": Did you make that? If so, I'm impressed by your skill with paper as well as the lighting, focusing and composition.

I did, originally for World Wide Photo Week in the Activities forum. The excellence in lighting technique that you noticed was achieved by placing the object near a window. Pfft.

Now, I'd be most interested in know YOUR picks for the podium if YOU had the difficult job of judging this one - go for it!

Gold: M_Six
Silver and bronze: Sibil and Jim Askew, in an undetermined order
. . . and mine wouldn't place at all--not from modesty, but because I think theirs are better.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,603 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Aug 22, 2016 20:39 |  #13

Love that shot, Trumper. Very moody indeed. Kudos on the win.

Also love the newspaper chair. Very nicely done on all counts, OhLook.

Jim, very cool car seat. I remember those days. Just an AM radio, no seat belts, no a/c, metal dashboard. I'm amazed I survived driving cars like that.

If I had to judge I would have gone with Trumper 1st, OhLook a very close second, and JimAskew 3rd.

Mark J.
Gear

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Seattle area, WA, USA
Aug 23, 2016 04:37 |  #14

Congrats winners. And nice job hosting, teekay. You had a hard one to judge this week.
I liked all the photos and find it hard to choose the top three.
Jim's car seat brings back memories for sure. And that chair, OhLook, is very creative :-)

I ran out of time to get out and find something this week (and nothing in the archives shot with a G-series).
I decided to paint the exterior of the house this week due to the excellent (if not too hot) weather.
Still about 20% to go. At least the end is in sight.
Hopefully, my arms and back will last :-)

Trumper
732 posts
Joined May 2003
Aug 23, 2016 05:31 |  #15

Crikey i wasn't expecting that one ,for me when i first saw M Sixes where to sit photo i thought that was the winner and that was before anyone else had posted.
As ever all the photos made the job harder and i didn't envy Teekay this week.
So thanks for the nod ,i will put a new challenge up in a minute :)

sponsored links

5,577 views & 10 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #599 (previously labeled #596) - Seats, Benches, Chairs...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.