Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 29 Aug 2016 (Monday) 17:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #601 - Dilapidated building(s)

Sibil
Goldmember
4,922 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Sibil.
Aug 29, 2016 17:18 |  #1

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #601 โ€“ Dilapidated building(s)
Show your capture of the dilapidated building exteriors. I will be looking for composition (maybe even unusual composition) and lighting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Great entries for this challenge and judging is difficult. But here it goes.

CarloY, Of Days Gone By - A minimal structure from old the days. I wonder if it was a house, a storage place, or?
Trumper, Cats home now - I see the glory days coming through the architectural details.
teekay, Long Gone - Reminds me of the Old west in the country. Love the processing and a great shot for G1!
JimAskew, Industrial Decay - Something about the colors that draws me in. Post-processing trick?
Pictoraider, Downtown Street of Paris - Welcome to G-series challenge. A store gone out of business, and nothing coming in its place.
Raven, Urban Decay - Reminds me of economic downturn and forgotten neighborhoods.

It was really hard to pick the top 3. I kept looking at the images all weekend long. They all stand out. But here it goes...

First: teekay, Long Gone
Second: Trumper, Cats home now
Third: Raven, Urban Decay
Honorable mention: JimAskew, Industrial Decay

Thanks again, everyone.
All yours, teekay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To submit, click the button labeled 'POST TO THREAD' and put your Photo Title in the first line of the post, above your photo. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, September 5, 2016

Photo Submissions

Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II, G3 X, G7 X and Pro1 only.

Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.

Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.

Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.

Posting โ€“ 1) One photo per photographer in each challenge. 2) Photo Title in the first line of the post. 3) Camera model. 4) EXIF data, if you like.

Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.

Photo Display โ€“ Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.

Time
One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
Winners Announcement ... As soon as possible, max. until Tuesday noon GMT.

Remember, if you post a photo, you may be the winner. Be prepared to host and judge a new challenge, choosing first, second and third place entries.

sponsored links
CarloY
667 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by CarloY. 7 edits done in total.
Aug 31, 2016 03:05 |  #2

Of Days Gone By
Canon G9

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

Trumper
712 posts
Joined May 2003
Sep 01, 2016 12:09 |  #3

G1 X MK11
Cats home now

HOSTED PHOTO

teekay
Goldmember
2,557 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Sep 01, 2016 19:13 |  #4

Long Gone

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/Dilapidated.jpg
G1

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Sep 02, 2016 10:34 |  #5

Industrial Decay
G5X: f/4, 1/640th, ISO 200, 9MM

HOSTED PHOTO

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

Pictoraider
119 posts
Joined May 2016
Paris (FRANCE)
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Pictoraider.
Sep 03, 2016 04:31 |  #6

Downtown Street of Paris
G1-X Mark II : 12,5mm, 3200 ISO, f2,5 &1/40รจ s, Mode M.

HOSTED PHOTO

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Seattle area, WA, USA
Sep 05, 2016 02:43 |  #7

Urban Decay

G5x

IMAGE: http://jimowensphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s6/v134/p1001231707-5.jpg

Sibil
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,922 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Sep 05, 2016 07:06 |  #8

Challenge is closed. I am in the process of suffering through the judging.

Sibil
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,922 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Sep 05, 2016 07:48 |  #9

Results at the top. Thanks for taking part.

Spoco57
Joined Mar 2013
Allegany County, NY
Sep 05, 2016 08:55 |  #10

Congrats to Teekay, Trumper, Raven and JimAskew. All fine shots. That sepia tone was perfect for the ghost town look. Love the goofy bell on top. I'm not sure I'd want to be under it too often, though.

Thanks Sibil! Fun challenge! I had an archive photo in mind that I wanted to add but at the last second I realized I'd taken it with not a Canon G . Sorry! I'll try harder next time.

Steve

Trumper
712 posts
Joined May 2003
Sep 05, 2016 09:43 |  #11

:-) Well done everyone and TeeKay ,1902 that house is a baby :)
I enjoyed them all ,so different and nice to see another G1X MK11 user :) Pictoraider

My photo was taken in Kefalonia a couple of years ago ,such a shame ,beautiful buildings and dereliction all mixed in :( .Unfortunately i had to look in the archives for this challenge as i knew i wouldn't see many suitable places this week.

Would love to hear the stories around each of the other photos taken.:-)

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by JimAskew. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 05, 2016 10:17 |  #12

Congratulations to Teekay, Trumper, and Jim (Raven) and thanks for the Honorable Mention, Sibil. This was a clever contest and everyone came up with some stellar interpretations.

My shot was taken from the AMTRAK Capital Limited Observation Car as we entered into Gary, IN...unfortunately Gary is in total industrial decline as this photo depicts :-(

I used a "grunge" filter from Topaz Labs to set the tone of the photo...and partly this was done to mask the reflections of my face and arms as the sun was bearing down into window from an oblique angle. You can still slightly see the reflections at the bottom center of the photo :-)

Pictoraider welcome to our merry band! Hope to see you in our future contests :-)

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

teekay
Goldmember
2,557 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Sep 05, 2016 10:43 |  #13

I really thought I was safe this week from being stuck with the next challenge, and that most of the others were better than my old G1 shot, but thanks anyway for the honour, Sibil! The photo was taken in the ghost town of Molson, and I have no idea why such a small house would have such a huge bell on top.

I'll try and have a new challenge up later today.

CarloY
667 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Sep 05, 2016 16:07 |  #14

Thanks Sibil for the Theme and hosting this week's challenge --- one for which I knew right away I actually had some images to choose from.

Congrats to Teekay on the WIN. And to Trumper, Raven, & JimAskew gaining honors.

Yes, welcome Pictoraider to the hangout.

The run-down shed is located in The Dalles, a small-ish town on the northern border of Oregon (state). I'm not sure that was a home or not. Probably a work shed and some storage? It is part of a cluster of 5 buildings. In this pic, 3 are shown. One is hidden behind those three. And one is now a pile of rubble off to the left and not in the pic.

HOSTED PHOTO

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,625 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Sep 05, 2016 17:31 |  #15

Congrats to the winners!!!! I am sorry for not playing this week but I had 8 birthdays between my kids and grandkids including the newest one born this past week (of course!) And today is Skip's (my hubby) who is celebrating a big milestone birthday. Not only that but I did 3 newborn shoots this week, including Grayson's who is our 4th grandson.

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

sponsored links

4,584 views & 11 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #601 - Dilapidated building(s)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.