Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 25 May 2016 (Wednesday) 11:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

To switch or not to switch?

tim
Light Bringer
50,867 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Sep 04, 2016 04:05 |  #16

texaskev wrote in post #18116317 (external link)
An interesting fact... Nikon has had the same lens mount system since 1959. Canon pissed all the Canon pros off and changed to the current mount system in 1987. Notice that the diameter of the mount on the canon is larger. That may be why canon has more super wide open aperture lenses than Nikon. Canon has had a history of having better autofocus but the latest Nikon's are just as good from what I've read.

The Nikon lens mount has stayed the same, but the technology and drive system has completely changed.

Around five or six years ago a huge number of wedding photographers left Canon for Nikon primarily because of focus issue with Canon, myself included, plus Nikons much better ISO performance at the time. Canon AF was better for sports and anything moving much, but for everything else Nikon was better. I really hope Canon has improved, I had a shockingly bad run with Canon that cleared up as soon as I switched.

These days they're probably pretty much equivalent. I'm still wary of Canon AF issues though, especially with how poor CPS was back then.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
texaskev
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
Austin & Dallas Texas
Sep 04, 2016 04:49 |  #17

Great post. I paid all due respect to Nikon in my previous post. Had I chosen to go Nikon I'm sure that I'd be just as happy as I am with Canon.

But a couple of comments based on your statements. Canon's lens mount system technology has also improved. But the bottom line is that both systems have fantastic focus now.

I'm a CPS member now and the service has been fantastic.

I still say that there isn't enough difference to compel me to switch between on or the other. Canon and Nikon are both world class imho.

Canon 1DX II, 1DX, 11-24 F4 L, 100 F2.8 L, 16-35 F2.8 L II, 17-40 F4 L, 24-70 F2.8 L II, 24-105 F4 L II, 70-200 F2.8 L II

tinshield2016
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2016
Sep 05, 2016 10:51 as a reply to post 18116317 |  #18

Thank you so much for your .02 worth, I have made the change and I am enjoying it to the fullest. I am only a retired person that enjoy's photography and I love taking pictures and I don't who or what they are as long as I enjoy them. Yes it is an expensive hobby but I told my family I am going to die when I spend my last penny so don't expect me to leave you anything, LOL. I took this one yesterday and put a smile on his face.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

level5photog
163 posts
Joined Nov 2015
Oct 10, 2016 23:34 |  #19

Thanks for sharing. Although I have never made a switch and always been using a Canon, I can relate to what you are saying. I have 2 L lens and 2 Canon 6D with a tamron 15-30 2.8 and tamron 90mm macro. There are alot of time where I am tempted by Nikon/Sony sensor but switching will be expensive. I don't think switching system will make such a huge difference to my photography and will be very costly.

Squidgie wrote in post #18020494 (external link)
It's difficult to knock either system as both are fantastic at what they do. I did end up switching to a Canon(5dsr) from a Nikon(d800e) with a very brief spell with Leica then Sony in-between. I do prefer the handling of the Canon and I'm ultimately glad I made the switch but it was costly. I sold all my gear on eBay and lost a lot of money with 2nd hand prices, eBay and PayPal fees and I defiantly won't be doing that again. It's just worth bearing in mind the overall cost for the very little gain. If money is not a major issue then I would say go for it. It's also worth bearing in mind the time it takes to learn a new body/menu layout. I'm mostly using a 5dsr and the new 35mm 1.4 ii and I'm in love with the combo.

Silver-Halide
Joined Jan 2015
Oct 11, 2016 00:10 |  #20

cuongduong wrote in post #18018953 (external link)
I keep hearing Canon has better color rendition from different reviewers and shooters, but I really have to ask: do they only shoot JPG with AWB and never post process their images?

In all honesty, if you have to ask other people whether you should switch or not, then you're not ready to switch.

I shoot in RAW, but I'd rather not have to go into the color sliders to get skin tones look right on several hundred images from a wedding. I like the skin tone rendition straight out of camera with Canon and feel like Nikon is cooler with green tones to boot :rolleyes:

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

archer1960
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2010
Oct 12, 2016 17:48 |  #21

IMO, and from what I've read, which is "better" depends on what you shoot. These are of course broad generalizations, but seem to have some supporting evidence. Of course both will produce wonderful images, and the differences are very small and only visible at the extremes of shooting situations. Tons of photographers make their livings with both manufacturers.

Nikon (due to its sensor) has better dynamic range, which means it may handle things like landscapes in bright daylight somewhat better.

Canon seems to handle low light (or eqiuvalently, high shutter speeds) somewhat better.

Canon lenses seem to be better at the long end, while Nikons are better at the wider end.

If you're into such things, Canon allows its firmware to be hacked and even offers an official SDK, allowing products like MagicLantern to exist, which allows you to do some very cool stuff.

The low light and hackability were the deciding factors for me...

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

sponsored links

5,106 views & 8 likes for this thread
To switch or not to switch?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.