Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 10 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 12:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Mac Book Pro??

ThomasDidymus
Joined Sep 2015
Saint Augustine
Aug 10, 2016 12:57 |  #1

What Would be the least expensive 13in pro that I could get that would do photoshop cc and some premier pro??

Eyes like a shutter, mind like a lens..

sponsored links
Lumens
374 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Mesa, AZ
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Lumens.
Aug 10, 2016 14:53 |  #2

For travel purposes I use an 11" Macbook Air and an external 1TB SSD drive. This system works fine. The key is to be sure you are using SSD drives. My Macbook Air only has 128 Gig SSD hard drive so only the software is installed on Macbook Air - the catalog and Images live on the external drive. At $899 for the Macbook Air and $319 for the external drive that is pretty cheap by Mac standards.

I do have a 15" Macbook Pro I use for my regular processing. Just move the external drive from the Macbook Air to the Macbook Pro and I am ready to go. I do make sure I backup the external drive quite often. I have a 3TB HHD I keep for that purpose - the backup is fairly quick so this system works very well for me.

With that said I would say just about any 13" Pro you find would do. With a large external drive all you need is the software on the Pro.

FUJI XT1 -> XF 10-24, XF 18-55, XF 55-200, XF 27mm pancake
6D -> Canon 28mm f2.8 IS, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro IS
Canon 24-105 f4L, Canon EF 70-200 f4L IS USM, Canon EF 100-400L IS
7D -> Canon EF-S 15-85

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,182 posts
Joined Mar 2008
California
Aug 10, 2016 15:27 |  #3

ThomasDidymus wrote in post #18091787 (external link)
What Would be the least expensive 13in pro that I could get that would do photoshop cc and some premier pro??

If it doesn't have retina, it is a model from 2012 and you don't want that. Check out Apples Refurb for some extra discounted items.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,935 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Indianapolis
Aug 10, 2016 18:52 |  #4

I bought a used 13" 2013 Retina MBP, i5, 8 gb Ram and 250 gb flash drive for $800 earlier this year. I run photoshop and LR at the same time all the time with no problems at all.

Gear
Websiteexternal link

ThomasDidymus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2015
Saint Augustine
Aug 12, 2016 23:33 |  #5

I ended up with a 13inch I-5 8gig with the 256gig ssd. I just picked it up today but I am already impressed with it. It will be for school with so light photo work when it go to state parks this fall for wildlife photos.

sipowicz
Joined Jan 2013
Finland
Aug 13, 2016 19:03 |  #6

I am looking at the same model that you ended up getting. My trusty 2009 MBP is slowing down. Since it's no longer possible to upgrade anything afterwards, would it be better to get faster processor or more RAM? I use Adobe CC every day. Mostly LR and PS but often InDesign and Illustrator as well.

Did you get the free Beats headphones? Just wondering if they are any good or if I should just eBay them.

ThomasDidymus
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2015
Saint Augustine
Aug 13, 2016 22:14 as a reply to sipowicz's post |  #7

Sipowicz

I sought a lot of help both here and a friend that does all the videos for my church. Yes the 15" mac pro with dedicated Gpu would be faster but the reality for me is that I have a great Pc so I did not need the best of the best. I finalized my choice by talking to Apple store guy about what I wanted to use the laptop for and was happy with the answers I got.. Yes it will do everything I do on my big Pc Just a heck of a lot slower.

Yes I got the Beats...

First I am a huge Bose guy so know that first... Like my PC has a bose solo 5 sound bar that is $250 hocked up to in and I own the new bose wirless ear buds as well as a wired set.

I like the Beats... Are $200 good??? Still up in the air about that( Used them one time so far)... They sound good and for Free I am not going to complain...

Specht05
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Sep 04, 2016 01:50 as a reply to sipowicz's post |  #8

If you put a SSD in your 09 MBP you could get some more life out of it.

The prices have come down a lot, and the upgrade makes a wold of difference.

Poindexter
Joined Feb 2007
Vermont
Sep 04, 2016 08:13 |  #9

The rumors show a new MacBook Pro on the near horizon. It is supposed to be the biggest update since Retina displays in 2012. September 7th's Apple Event is going to be about the iPhone, and possibly something about the next laptop. At least wait to see what's said this Wednesday.

Fortunately for Apple consumers there is a website that lays things out nicely for us: http://buyersguide.mac​rumors.com (external link)

P.S. The current MacBook Pro is generations (plural) behind hardware (mostly CPU and GPU) that's currently available in the Microsoft world. Apple typically lags in this area and does totally fine because they're software "matches the drapes" but they don't stay generations (read plural) behind for long.

P.P.S. I am probably going to buy the next MacBook Pro so I'm watching things closely.

flickr (external link) | SmugMug (external link) | Gear (external link)

Reiep
Joined Oct 2009
Orléans, France / Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Sep 05, 2016 16:24 |  #10

Specht05 wrote in post #18116290 (external link)
If you put a SSD in your 09 MBP you could get some more life out of it.

The prices have come down a lot, and the upgrade makes a wold of difference.

SSD and RAM. My 2010 MBP is still running these days after an SSD and RAM update 2 years ago, but it reaches its limit. It'll be replaced by the future MBP 13", mainly for trips & week-ends, as I've built myself a PC, I got tired of waiting for Apple to release a computer without a screen that is not deprecated and overexpensive.

Anyhow, by today's standards and for a bit of future proofing, any laptop under 4 actual cores and 16 GB of RAM is to avoid.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Gear

sponsored links

1,921 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mac Book Pro??
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.