Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 31 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 09:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Win 10, Java and Chrome

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Aug 31, 2016 09:10 |  #1

I'm trying to run the Nvidia driver autodetect feature on my new Dell XPS system. It keeps failing saying I need the latest version of Java, so I followed the link to Oracle and ran the Java installer, which told me that Java was installed, and the update checker now says I am running the latest version of Java on the computer, which is just fine by me. Unfortunately I still keep getting the you need Java error from the Nvidia driver check page. I'm running Chrome as my browser, and AFAIK both Chrome and Win 10 are up to date. I'd like to check on the GPU drivers, since I am running LRCC and using the Dell 5K monitor, so would like to ensure that I get the best performance from the system. Any ideas? Anything I missed? Do I need to configure Chrome manually for Java or anything? I've not had the joy of configuring a new system for rather a number of years.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,365 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 31, 2016 11:15 |  #2

Personally I'd recommend you install (if it isn't already there) the Win 10 version of Internet Explorer. I seem to remember that Chrome and Java don't play well together. I also think I recently read about some recent change to Chrome that Java wasn't even needed for most sites.

[New info added]

From the site

http://www.java.com/en​/download/faq/chrome.x​ml (external link)

Google's Chrome version 45 (scheduled for release in September 2015) drops support for NPAPI, impacting plugins for Silverlight, Java, Facebook Video and other similar NPAPI based plugins.

If you have problems accessing Java applications using Chrome, Oracle recommends using Internet Explorer (Windows) or Safari (Mac OS X) instead.

adamo99
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
Mississauga, ON
Aug 31, 2016 12:18 |  #3

John from PA wrote in post #18112548 (external link)
Personally I'd recommend you install (if it isn't already there) the Win 10 version of Internet Explorer. I seem to remember that Chrome and Java don't play well together. I also think I recently read about some recent change to Chrome that Java wasn't even needed for most sites.

[New info added]

From the site

http://www.java.com/en​/download/faq/chrome.x​ml (external link)

Note that the Edge browser in Windows 10 does not support Java.
https://www.java.com/e​n/download/faq/win10_f​aq.xml (external link)

You'll need to download Explorer, or run Firefox.

BigAl007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Aug 31, 2016 13:03 |  #4

Thanks for the info, I have been suffering from intermittent internet connections, so was just about to try it in Edge, so tried IE, and it worked fine, Now waiting while the drivers download. Could be a while though, out current broadband connection is pretty poor, as we are so far from the exchange, and my daughter is watching video from her FireTV stick. The ISP prioritises streaming media applications over downloads, or even simple browsing :(.

Alan

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,365 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Aug 31, 2016 13:14 |  #5

BigAl007 wrote in post #18112634 (external link)
Now waiting while the drivers download. Could be a while though, out current broadband connection is pretty poor, as we are so far from the exchange...Alan

I know the area well as I worked on some of the gas turbines at the Great Yarmouth Power Station, probably around 2006. Everything was slow, even the pubs dragged their feet at closing time. ;)

BigAl007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Aug 31, 2016 18:22 |  #6

John from PA wrote in post #18112650 (external link)
I know the area well as I worked on some of the gas turbines at the Great Yarmouth Power Station, probably around 2006. Everything was slow, even the pubs dragged their feet at closing time. ;)

Ahhhh the good old English tradition of the lock in, had a few of those in my time, back when my meds didn't stop me from having the occasional drink.

I used to live on the council estate down next to the Quay side near the fire station, a bit further north towards the town centre from the power station. For a long time we used mobile broadband, and the tower was the other side of the river. So the signal varied with the number of ships, and the state of the tide! Although still technically in the Borough, we now live in a little village about ten miles north of town, right on the edge of the Norfolk Broads National Park, the Park pretty much sticks to the rivers and broads (man made lakes, created in the 15-16th centuries as peat diggings) so we don't have to deal with the hassle of living in a National Park thank goodness. We can see across to the river from our kitchen window though. I was rehoused as I am now having to use a wheelchair, and the town centre flat we were in was unsuitable.

This is where we used to live on the quay. This was in December 2013, when a big spring high tide, coupled with a big storm surge and onshore winds almost flooded us. The pictures were taken within 50 yards of our front door. Why is it that these events happen at night? The previous incident when the same thing happened was about 2006 and that was at night too.

IMAGE: https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7341/11260699206_d771d123fd_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ia52​yj] (external link)IMG_6285 (external link) by Alan Evans (external link), on Flickr

the bollards you see on the right of the first picture, are the ones growing out of the water in the second.

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/3/2814/11260664735_946d4eae04_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ia4R​iZ] (external link)IMG_6303 (external link) by Alan Evans (external link), on Flickr

As you can see we were right at the end of the accessible part of the quay. There was a TV program on a British national TV station (Channel 5) called Benefits Britian, and one of the early series was filmed on and around the estate where we lived. Some of the people that lived around us, that my daughter knew had been on the Jeremy Kyle Show! So you can understand why we were glad to have moved to a nice rural area.

The new place we moved to is far better, as it's a bungalow, and according to a couple of people I spoke to from the housing department we are in the nicest two bed property in the whole borough. This is the view out of our new front door, taken early one morning back in the spring.

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7026/26268464543_96636f1dab_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/G2fK​k6] (external link)Dawn over Bastwick (external link) by Alan Evans (external link), on Flickr

I just wish I hadn't had to leave the PC to do the download, as the connection had dropped, AGAIN, and I needed manually restart the download from IE.

Alan

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,365 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Aug 31, 2016 20:47 |  #7

I appreciate you sharing the pictures. I am a 1st born American and everyone before me is from Lincolnshire, although without looking at a birth certificate from the 1700's, I can't be more specific.

Specht05
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Sep 04, 2016 01:45 |  #8

If you still havnt had any luck try using Chromium (open source version of chrome)

BigAl007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Sep 04, 2016 02:06 |  #9

BigAl007 wrote in post #18112634 (external link)
Thanks for the info, I have been suffering from intermittent internet connections, so was just about to try it in Edge, so tried IE, and it worked fine, Now waiting while the drivers download. Could be a while though, out current broadband connection is pretty poor, as we are so far from the exchange, and my daughter is watching video from her FireTV stick. The ISP prioritises streaming media applications over downloads, or even simple browsing :(.

Alan

Specht05 wrote in post #18116289 (external link)
If you still havnt had any luck try using Chromium (open source version of chrome)

This worked OK for me, Since Dell had installed IE on the computer it was the simplest option, as I didn't need yet another download. Not needing an additional download when you have really flakey connections is very useful.

Alan

BigAl007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Sep 06, 2016 19:04 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #10

John I was browsing through my catalogue and found this I thought you might like. The Golden Mile, also sometimes known as the "Strip" and complete with our "Golden Nugget". With Nelson's Column and the "new" power station in the background. Our Nelson's column predates the one in Trafalgar square in London too. As well as being a Norfolk boy, Nelson landed in Great Yarmouth on his triumphant return to England after his epic victory at the Battle of the Nile. Back then at the end of the 18th Century Great Yarmouth was the home to a very large Naval Base. Which occupied much of the southern part of the peninsular that the town is built on.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Alan

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,365 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Sep 06, 2016 20:54 as a reply to BigAl007's post |  #11

The street looks vaguely familiar. Power plant personnel provided me with transportation and I remember walking (frequently) to a Tandori restaurant on King Street. I also stayed over toward the ocean side at a B&B maybe called the Weathervane Guest House. Nice pub somewhere as well with about a 100 single malts. I was like a kid in a candy shop. Nice area!

BigAl007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Sep 06, 2016 22:40 |  #12

That is the main seafront in the picture, the beach is just camera left. I'm guessing the B&B was on Trafalgar Road, or close by, it's the last bit left with "nice" accommodation. Most of the rest of the town has had the guest houses converted into cheap accommodation for the long term unemployed. You get a lot of them think it will be nice to come to the seaside and live on benefits. The area of Great Yarmouth from the town center south actually makes it on to the list of the 20 most deprived wards (local council voting areas) in the whole of the UK! My old flat was in this area. Although they don't make as much renting to these people, most of whom are drug users, they also don't have to spend much looking after the properties either. The problem is that as they start allowing that to happen the nice places close as they lose clients because most folks don't want to be surrounded by druggies while on holiday. I'm originally from one of the outer suburbs of London, and moved up this way when I was posted here in 1985 while serving in the RAF. In the 31 years since I have watched the town go steadily down hill. The biggest problem is that they just don't know what they want the town to be. In 85 the port was still thriving, on mostly local business from Norfolk, along with the Offshore oil and Gas industry. The tourist trade was still pretty good too, it wasn't till about 1980 that the cheap flights to the mediterranean and the relatively strong pound meant it was possible to go away on a beach holiday where you were going to get really hot weather, and it was cheaper than staying in England, with our often dismal weather. The local authorities then swung between trying to encourage either the port and offshore, and tourism. The problem was that the one seemed to make life hard for the other. They up and went and spent millions on the outer harbour project, using mostly EU grant money. It was just about the worse place you could build a port. It is right on the end of a three mile long peninsula with the town between it and the closest railway, a single track line to Norwich. The roads are no better. The Main A47 is a single carriageway with one lane in each direction. Interestingly the outer harbour is all but unused, what's the use of a port with no onwards transport links, the nearest bit of motorway is 99 miles away! What we really needed was a nice yacht marina, that might have brought some life to the town, but no EU funds for one of those. maybe when they actually have to close the outer harbour as a freight port they will be able to convert it to what it should have been. It is in the right place to make a good marina. Anyway I guess this is starting to get a bit political, although locally the council swings between the two main parties regularly, and they are all just as bad as each other! Actually most of the borough is still pretty nice, the outlying villages, and the northern part of the town are all nice places to live on the whole. I guess my outlook is coloured by having to live in the least pleasant part of town, where the smell of weed being smoked is predominant, as an ex smoker, it is odd thinking that it was nice if people only smoked tobacco. Unfortunately when you have health based housing needs, you have to take what you can get. Prior to that part of town, I lived in a nice flat, except it was on the second floor, up four flights of stairs, it could take me half an hour to get in or out!

Anyway I'm glad you liked our town, both the Tandooris on King Street are very good, as are most of the pubs. The town still has a few proper locals. I think it's one of the tourist pubs that has all the scotch though. I don't frequent pubs anymore though as I can't drink alcohol now, my pain meds make anything alcoholic taste foul. I have a couple of untouched bottles of single malt still that were gifts. You will like this one then, King Street taken from almost where it becomes the Market Place. You can sort of just see one of the Tandoori places, on the right just past Peggoty's pub. My flat was off to the right down near the church, Which is now St Spiridion's Greek Orthodox Church, as there is still a large Greek Cypriot expat community in the town, mostly from the northern half of Cyprus.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

The photo was taken at about twenty past three on a cold wet Sunday afternoon in January, and the one in the last post was in February, both in 2008. Winter time is not the nicest time to be here. Oh and the Stars and Stripes are on "Zacks Yankee Traveler" a restaurant that does American cuisine. It started back in the 70's to cater for the Americans that were working in the offshore industry, although whats not to like about big portions of ribs, cajun chicken, burgers and steaks. It's popular enough still that you have to book if you want a table at the weekend.

Alan

sponsored links

2,514 views & 0 likes for this thread
Win 10, Java and Chrome
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.