Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 03 Sep 2016 (Saturday) 07:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon G1X MKII or Canon G5X

X29 ­ JET
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Sep 03, 2016 07:40 |  #1

I Have Reached the point of Narrowing down to these 2 cameras i use a DSLR 7Dmk2 for Aviation Photography but i have also used my Trusty Canon G10 for many years i feel i need slightly more Quality from my shots and found that i have been stretching the G10s Limits as i am printing the images A3+ would i find the G1X with Larger sensor better or the G5X ? i see the G1X doesn't have a dedicated Exposure compensation dial as the G10 is this difficult to set on the G1X i am leaning towards the G1X at the moment but would love to hear your views before i purchase either camera Many thanks.

Camera Canon EOS 7D EOS 50D,EF 300mm 2.8is EF 70-200 F2.8 IS L.EF 100-400 L .F 17-40 F4 L EF 50MM 1.8.EF 17-85.

sponsored links
Pictoraider
119 posts
Joined May 2016
Paris (FRANCE)
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Pictoraider. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 03, 2016 09:13 |  #2

X29 JET wrote in post #18115435 (external link)
I Have Reached the point of Narrowing down to these 2 cameras .
... i see the G1X doesn't have a dedicated Exposure compensation dial as the G10 is this difficult to set on the G1X ?
i am leaning towards the G1X at the moment but would love to hear your views before i purchase either camera Many thanks.

Hi X29 jet,

It's quite simple.
When using the G1-X Mark II in Av Mode, you select the aperture value with the step ring.
And the same step ring can be used to dial quickly your ambient light exposure compensation after you press the dedicated Exposure compensation touch located on the rear wheel...

Hope it help,

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

X29 ­ JET
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Sep 04, 2016 02:30 |  #3

Pictoraider wrote in post #18115485 (external link)
Hi X29 jet,

It's quite simple.
When using the G1-X Mark II in Av Mode, you select the aperture value with the step ring.
And the same step ring can be used to dial quickly your ambient light exposure compensation after you press the dedicated Exposure compensation touch located on the rear wheel...

Hope it help,
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Pictoraider in
./showthread.php?p=181​15485&i=i102900229
forum: Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Thanks for That doesnt seem too difficult

Camera Canon EOS 7D EOS 50D,EF 300mm 2.8is EF 70-200 F2.8 IS L.EF 100-400 L .F 17-40 F4 L EF 50MM 1.8.EF 17-85.

X29 ­ JET
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Sep 04, 2016 02:32 |  #4

Coming from a G10 will the quality difference be very noticeable ? Many thanks in advance

Pictoraider
119 posts
Joined May 2016
Paris (FRANCE)
Sep 04, 2016 03:30 |  #5

X29 JET wrote in post #18116303 (external link)
Coming from a G10 will the quality difference be very noticeable ? Many thanks in advance

Yes and no : it depends of the users. A camera is a tool, nothing more.

X29 JET wrote in post #18115435 (external link)
i have also used my Trusty Canon G10 for many years
i feel i need slightly more Quality from my shots
and found that i have been stretching the G10s Limits as i am printing the images A3+
would i find the G1X with Larger sensor better or the G5X ?

As you used your G10 camera for years and know it deeply well,
As you pushed your G10 camera to its limits,
As you are printing A3 +images,
you indeed need an uptodate camera with more features.

The G1-X Mark II is newer than your G10, it's actually the top of G-series Digital Cameras.
it has a larger sensor : a sensor pretty as large as your EOS 7D Mark II's.
Undoubtly, the difference will be - in your specific case - noticeable.
IMHO,

Trumper
729 posts
Joined May 2003
Sep 05, 2016 09:51 |  #6

Love the g1x mk11 ,i wish they would bring out a mk111 version now as this model is 2- 3 years old.I can't speak for the g5x but the photo quality is terrific on the g1x mk11.It isn't a pocket camera although a jacket pocket is possible and it is a solid well built camera.I use mine the same as i did my 5d mk11 DSLR ,takes 1000's of photos,always in use.
To add to Pictoraiders post most the buttons and dials can be customised.

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Sep 06, 2016 16:39 |  #7

I went from a G11 to the G5X last March. After 6 months of using the G5X I can say it was a great decision. The IQ is tact sharp. Controls are easy to master. The 20.1MP sensor gives you plenty of latitude to crop without IQ loss.

The key factor in my decision was the Electronic Viewfinder (EVF). It is invaluable in bright sunlight.

I view the G5X as a "mini" DSLR but with a fixed lens. I carry it everywhere I go...it is small enough for a coat pocket...or side pocket in baggy jeans. I prefer a case myself and I found the perfect bag...the SnapR20 by Black Rapids. The case strap doubles as the camera strap. And, the strap can be quickly removed and attached to the camera directly if you want to.

The G5X does have one big wart...poor battery life. I get about 200 shots on a full charge. My solution was to buy a second battery which I keep in the SnapR20 case. When I travel I always take the battery charger with me. My last trip (Chicago for 9 days) I recharged both batteries at least once.

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

sallypuckett
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Indiana
Sep 07, 2016 15:56 as a reply to JimAskew's post |  #8

I had the same debate going on about 3 months ago. I had settled on the G5X, but then had second thoughts. I had the original G1X, and loved the IQ I got from my little camera. I decided that was the most important issue for me so, based on the larger sensor I decided on the G1X Mark ii. I don't regret it at all! The IQ is superb.

HOSTED PHOTO

Judder ­ Man
Joined Oct 2007
Cumbria + Wigan
Sep 11, 2016 06:55 |  #9

sallypuckett wrote in post #18120173 (external link)
I had the same debate going on about 3 months ago. I had settled on the G5X, but then had second thoughts. I had the original G1X, and loved the IQ I got from my little camera. I decided that was the most important issue for me so, based on the larger sensor I decided on the G1X Mark ii. I don't regret it at all! The IQ is superb.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by sallypuckett in
./showthread.php?p=181​20173&i=i18714899
forum: Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Yes the G1x probably performs a bit better in low light and the bigger sensor does give you more detail image quality especially when cropping the image. I wish they would bring out a full frame sensor in the G1x body with a decent bokeh.

Canon 5D mk3, 50mm 1.4, 17-40L, 70-200L, 100-400L, Canon 100L macro, Canon 2 x G1X, Speedliite 430 EX all supported by Gitzo and Benro.
Web sites: www.georgehopkinsphoto​graphy.com (external link)

An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by JimAskew.
Sep 11, 2016 09:11 |  #10

To me the EVF is more important than than the bigger sensor given the fact that the G5X has a 20.1 MP capability. I find the IQ to be awesome :-). I haven't tried low light yet...I'll have to see what I can get.

I caught this butterfly yesterday using the G5X on max telephoto setting. The Bokah is amazing to me for a P&S.

HOSTED PHOTO

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

sponsored links

2,494 views & 3 likes for this thread
Canon G1X MKII or Canon G5X
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.