Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Medium Format Digital Cameras and Backs
Thread started 11 Sep 2016 (Sunday) 02:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Rolleiflex Hy6 with 50mm wide angle lens and 45º prism viewfinder

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003
ABE, PA USA
Sep 11, 2016 02:08 |  #1

This subforum doesn't seem to get as much traffic as the other other subforums so I thought I'd give it a little push. Recently, I got a 45º prism viewfinder as well as a 50mm f/2.8 wide angle lens for my Rolleiflex Hy6. Since I was eager to see how these two new purchases would perform, I went to a local park to try them out. Although the 45º prism viewfinder is a little heavier than the standard waist level viewfinder that comes with the Hy6, it is a little more ergonomically sound than the waist level viewfinder and I didn't even notice the added weight of the 45º viewfinder. :)

The following are two photos I took with the Hy6 and the Leaf Aptus II 10R digital back. I initially tried processing the raw images using Adobe Camera Raw but I was not satisfied with the result even with the camera profiled using the X-rite Color Checker. So I tried using Phase One's Capture One and the result was more to my liking. :)

For some reason, the 2nd image looks a little lopsided but I think it's an optical illusion because using the railing as a reference, the image does seem to be be aligned correctly,

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

...Leo

Georgeinnj
87 posts
Joined Jul 2012
USA
Sep 13, 2016 08:08 |  #2

Does capture one or camera raw have a lens correction profile for this lens? Have you tried some test shots against a pattern to see if there is distortion in the lens?

PacAce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003
ABE, PA USA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by PacAce. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 13, 2016 21:39 |  #3

Georgeinnj wrote in post #18126450 (external link)
Does capture one or camera raw have a lens correction profile for this lens? Have you tried some test shots against a pattern to see if there is distortion in the lens?

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked into the lens profiles available in Capture One but, unfortunately, there are no lenses listed for the Rollei cameras.

However, while I was looking into this, I checked the other pictures I had taken on the same day and they were all tilted the same amount from the horizon. Then thinking back to when I took the picture, it dawned on me that the digital back had not been fully rotated when I switched from portrait mode to landscape mode. Unlike the other digital backs which require the backs to be removed, rotated 90º and then mounted back on the body, the Leaf Aptus II 10R back I have allows the sensor to be rotated 90º internally without the need to remove the back from the body. What I did wrong was that I stopped rotating the sensor as soon as I felt resistance instead of turning it passed the resistance to lock it in place (I had forgot that I needed to do this).

I've been away from photography for a while but I'm gradually getting back into it again and I'm finding that I have to relearn how to use my gear again. LOL :lol:

...Leo

1,309 views & 1 like for this thread
Rolleiflex Hy6 with 50mm wide angle lens and 45º prism viewfinder
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Medium Format Digital Cameras and Backs

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.