Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes
Thread started 25 Jul 2016 (Monday) 12:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Raw food, spices, condiments, gadgets and odds from your kitchen etc.

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by ThreeHounds. 4 edits done in total.
Aug 20, 2016 10:42 |  #16

Veg's and spices for a Jambalaya

20 Exposure Stack

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8605/29031433281_2b326c47df_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/LepF​F8] (external link)EOS 5D Mark III_20160816_IMG_4890.​jpg (external link) by 3.hounds (external link), on Flickr

12 Exposure Stack

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8020/29108591455_7f8444c913_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Lme9​7t] (external link)EOS 5D Mark III_20160816_IMG_4932.​jpg (external link) by 3.hounds (external link), on Flickr

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
itsallart
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
Aug 20, 2016 13:06 as a reply to ThreeHounds's post |  #17

That's beautiful! Would love to see the finished dish :)

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by ThreeHounds.
Aug 20, 2016 14:50 as a reply to itsallart's post |  #18

Thanks. One was in the plans, but... a couple of beers while cooking and a couple of friends stopped by, so no shot. I'll be making it again soon. I'll be better behaved.

24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

itsallart
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
Aug 20, 2016 16:02 |  #19

ThreeHounds wrote in post #18101003 (external link)
Thanks. One was in the plans, but... a couple of beers while cooking and a couple of friends stopped by, so no shot. I'll be making it again soon. I'll be better behaved.

I know how that goes :) :p
Hopefully next time and I bet it was yummy :)

Renata

Bojsha1965
Joined Jul 2012
Belgrade, Serbia
Aug 25, 2016 06:13 as a reply to ThreeHounds's post |  #20

Very nice textures on all vegetables, and very pleasant sharpness. This is good example how hard is to make good pictures of peppers, sometimes they just don't want to look sharp and look little bit out of focus even in your great pictures.
Best regards, Nesa.

Nebojsa
5dmkII | 24-105L | 17-40L | 100L macro | 70-200L | 44-2 | 44M-4 | 77M-4 | MC Volna 9 | Jupiter 9 | Some old Nikkors | flickr (external link)

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Aug 25, 2016 07:46 as a reply to Bojsha1965's post |  #21

Thank you for your comments. Yes those peppers... They required a lot of attempts at remasking the stacked images. I couldn't quite get it 100% right, but I am still happy with the result.

flickr (external link)

Bojsha1965
Joined Jul 2012
Belgrade, Serbia
Aug 26, 2016 04:47 as a reply to ThreeHounds's post |  #22

They are excellent, but there is no texture on them, and they are always "floating". Sharpness is great overall, very pleasant, so different from sharpened images in PP.
Best, Nesa

Nebojsa
5dmkII | 24-105L | 17-40L | 100L macro | 70-200L | 44-2 | 44M-4 | 77M-4 | MC Volna 9 | Jupiter 9 | Some old Nikkors | flickr (external link)

Bojsha1965
Joined Jul 2012
Belgrade, Serbia
Aug 27, 2016 17:29 |  #23

More veg's.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Nebojsa

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,270 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Sep 03, 2016 21:50 |  #24

Raw lamb shanks, just because I liked their colors.

HOSTED PHOTO

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

lucky7
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2009
Metro Detroit
Sep 14, 2016 13:13 |  #25

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8701/29644751846_e98a8ca1eb_b.jpg

-Dane
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/danevan/external linkhttp://www.flickr.com/​photos/11028609@N05/external link

Bojsha1965
Joined Jul 2012
Belgrade, Serbia
Sep 14, 2016 16:45 |  #26

HOSTED PHOTO

Nebojsa

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Having too much fun in the studio
Sep 16, 2016 20:06 |  #27

Thought some might be interested to see this 'tool' and it certainly fits the 'odd' gadget part ;-)a

It's been a summer of ice cream projects for me and another large packaging project coming over the next few weeks (28 flavors). I think ice cream is probably the most difficult product to shoot, for obvious reasons and especially when working with the manufacturers as they have a very specific way they like to see it. It's key in a packaged product line that the scoops all follow the same formula; same size scoop/skirt/texture/in​gredients, etc. for consistency across the entire line and all part of the same brand.

The texture of a good quality i.c. is called 'bark' and achieving it consistently is a tough job for the stylist. There's only a handful of truly expert 'scoopers' in the country imo and they're really incredibly talented people with a really interesting skill set....plus, it's demanding physical work scooping hard pack for an 8 hour day.

Obviously, there are some tricks to the trade. Beyond lots of freezer space, there's lots of dry ice used, special cold chests for holding scoops and an air conditioner that runs round the clock to keep the studio cool, which is tough in the dog days of summer (when I always seem to be shooting ice cream :eek:). I've often thought that it would be easier to work in a walk in freezer but that's just not practical.

One device that I first saw a long time ago in another studio is a 'cold gun'. I guess technically, mine would be 'son of a gun' as that first one I saw is long gone now. I only recently remembered the design, so I built this last week for the next project coming in. It holds dry ice pellets in the chamber and with the aid of a computer fan, blows chilled air over the scoop while it's on the set to help keep it from melting. Hoping it works like a charm like I remember :lol:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

itsallart
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
Sep 16, 2016 21:05 as a reply to Bojsha1965's post |  #28

That's a beautiful bunch of roots. What are they?

Renata

itsallart
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
Sep 16, 2016 21:07 |  #29

Foodguy wrote in post #18130444 (external link)
Thought some might be interested to see this 'tool' and it certainly fits the 'odd' gadget part ;-)a

It's been a summer of ice cream projects for me and another large packaging project coming over the next few weeks (28 flavors). I think ice cream is probably the most difficult product to shoot, for obvious reasons and especially when working with the manufacturers as they have a very specific way they like to see it. It's key in a packaged product line that the scoops all follow the same formula; same size scoop/skirt/texture/in​gredients, etc. for consistency across the entire line and all part of the same brand.

The texture of a good quality i.c. is called 'bark' and achieving it consistently is a tough job for the stylist. There's only a handful of truly expert 'scoopers' in the country imo and they're really incredibly talented people with a really interesting skill set....plus, it's demanding physical work scooping hard pack for an 8 hour day.

Obviously, there are some tricks to the trade. Beyond lots of freezer space, there's lots of dry ice used, special cold chests for holding scoops and an air conditioner that runs round the clock to keep the studio cool, which is tough in the dog days of summer (when I always seem to be shooting ice cream :eek:). I've often thought that it would be easier to work in a walk in freezer but that's just not practical.

One device that I first saw a long time ago in another studio is a 'cold gun'. I guess technically, mine would be 'son of a gun' as that first one I saw is long gone now. I only recently remembered the design, so I built this last week for the next project coming in. It holds dry ice pellets in the chamber and with the aid of a computer fan, blows chilled air over the scoop while it's on the set to help keep it from melting. Hoping it works like a charm like I remember :lol:

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Foodguy in
./showthread.php?p=181​30444&i=i251252912
forum: Food Photography & Visual Recipes

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Foodguy in
./showthread.php?p=181​30444&i=i63007350
forum: Food Photography & Visual Recipes

Very interesting. I have always thought that ice cream in ads is usually made of mashed potatoes or other thing that don't melt.
Thank you for sharing :)

Renata

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Having too much fun in the studio
Sep 16, 2016 21:20 |  #30

itsallart wrote in post #18130487 (external link)
Very interesting. I have always thought that ice cream in ads is usually made of mashed potatoes or other thing that don't melt.
Thank you for sharing :)

That would be a lot easier. By law though (for packaging), it needs to be real.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

sponsored links

13,412 views & 153 likes for this thread
Raw food, spices, condiments, gadgets and odds from your kitchen etc.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.