Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 16 Sep 2016 (Friday) 14:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

So...Is the 6D Canon's best "portrait" camera?

01Ryan10
Joined Aug 2012
OC, California
Sep 16, 2016 14:13 |  #1

I've been wanting to upgrade from my 5D Classic the last couple years, but have yet to pull the trigger. From my research, it seems to be the best camera for portrait work. I'm not concerned about moving subjects (sports) or landscapes, (although my impression is it is Canon's best astro camera too).

The 1D series is just too much money for me; therefore, I have never bothered researching them. Every response to this thread could be, "no, the 1D series is the best", and maybe that's true, so let's keep the conversation in the scope of all bodies except the 1D series.

so...what say you?

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,544 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 16, 2016 14:31 |  #2

yes.

Tom

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 16, 2016 14:54 |  #3

5D4 is probably the best at this point.

<<<< 6D user

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Sep 16, 2016 16:05 |  #4

Best priced currently produced Canon FF body especially for slow/static subjects.

In most cases good or ideal light is available so a 5D mk2 will do equally as well.

Warning you will NOT get the organic look like your 5dc.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

Motor ­ On
939 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Sep 16, 2016 17:54 |  #5

Also worth noting is the 6D and 5DmkII have the availablility of the Super Matte Precision Screen, enabling manual focusing at wider than f/2.8

Websiteexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Instagramexternal link

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,203 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Sep 16, 2016 17:58 |  #6

5DSr. For portraits it's going to give you the sharpest image with the most detail by far.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Sep 16, 2016 18:09 |  #7

Since you bring up cost, I'd say the 6D in a heartbeat when normalizing for price. 5D4 and 5DsR may be better but cost 3X.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

graham121
Joined Feb 2013
Pakenham, VIC, Aus
Sep 16, 2016 20:02 |  #8

And, re the 5ds/r, just how much 'detail' do you want in a portrait???

In a landscape for sure, but in a portrait is every minute detail required....I would think not unless the subject has flawless features.

Unless you need the wider array of focus points revised by the 5D3 and 4, then the 6D should fit the bill.

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

01Ryan10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
OC, California
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by 01Ryan10.
Sep 16, 2016 20:30 |  #9

Thanks for the feedback all.

Regarding the 5DSr...I've read its ISO performance is not that great, and I'll need good ISO for low light situations...twilight at the beach, churches, halls...etc...

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,527 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by RDKirk.
Sep 16, 2016 23:57 |  #10

graham121 wrote in post #18130440 (external link)
And, re the 5ds/r, just how much 'detail' do you want in a portrait???

In a landscape for sure, but in a portrait is every minute detail required....I would think not unless the subject has flawless features.

Unless you need the wider array of focus points revised by the 5D3 and 4, then the 6D should fit the bill.

More detail avoids more moire, for one thing. The 5Dc sent me into fits with hair moire in half-length portraits. No problem at closer or farther distances, but hair moire appeared at half-lengths (Mona Lisa framing), particularly with blonde hair. The 5D2 had sufficient resolution to avoid it.

More detail provides more room for cropping. In fact, a lot of wedding photographers simply stopped shooting verticals (which were always a problem with on-camera flash) with the 5D2 and just cropped verticals out of horizontals.

Among Canon's 24x36 offerings, the 5D line is superior to the 6D in controls. Far superior. But I also think 20mp is enough resolution for most purposes, and 30mp certainly is.

BJ_Nguyen
Joined Jan 2012
Atlanta GA
Sep 17, 2016 07:17 as a reply to 01Ryan10's post |  #11

I thought you mentioned " portrait " :)
So with all you listed I'd rather get 5Dmk4 !

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,444 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Sep 17, 2016 08:08 |  #12

If the question is posed because of a perceived lack with existing equipment, I have to ask what glass are you using with the 5D classic? Are you also going to consider upgrading glass as well as the body?

01Ryan10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
OC, California
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by 01Ryan10. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 17, 2016 19:50 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #13

As of now, i have the following...

Canon 70-200 F4 IS
Canon 85 1.8
SIGMA 35 ART
Canon 50 1.4

Yeah...i need better glass, but i really feel like i could use the 6D.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Left Handed Brisket. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 17, 2016 20:24 |  #14

Your lens collection is fine. A 135 would probably go a long way for a portrait person, but you seem to be doing fine without it.

The 6D resolution increase alone would probably make a big impact on the way you work. Looser framing with some room to crop while still having more pixels in the final image is pretty nice.

The question of Canon's latest sensor tech is really just being answered with the 5D4. I'm a believer, but I think people are still skeptical for some dumb reason. The result is probably that prices of used FF Canon have probably not dropped as much as they could have at this point.

If canon doesn't release the 6D II before Xmas, which it seems they won't, I bet the deals on current 6D will be crazy good. Just kinda rambling here, lol, if you've got an itch, scratch it.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,544 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 18, 2016 07:52 |  #15

01Ryan10 wrote in post #18130458 (external link)
Thanks for the feedback all.

Regarding the 5DSr...I've read its ISO performance is not that great, and I'll need good ISO for low light situations...twilight at the beach, churches, halls...etc...

I honestly do not believe ISO is a problem for any modern Canon camera. From the 7D forward, ISO 6400 has been quite usable on aps-c bodies, and 12,800 is no big trick for the 24x36mm sensors. I use my 6D in JPG until I get above 12,800 - and that doesn't happen often. Look through the high-ISO examples. The cameras are quite capable.

Tom

sponsored links

10,935 views & 43 likes for this thread
So...Is the 6D Canon's best "portrait" camera?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.