Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 12 Sep 2016 (Monday) 11:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Do you miss the Hot Shoe on your G7x MKII?

dad3*3
746 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Sellersville, PA
Sep 12, 2016 11:43 |  #1

Been looking at upgrading my Canon G11 and been intrigued by the Canon G7x MKII but afraid I'd miss the Hot Shoe.

I don't have high hopes for the onboard flash but would love to hear others experience.

Besides outside landscapes I'd like to use it for inside family parties and events.

Thanks

sponsored links
avigar
Joined Jun 2009
Northern IL
Sep 13, 2016 15:39 |  #2

You probably won't require a flash that much indoors. The G7X M2 is very capable when taking pictures indoors in low or available light conditions. I've rarely used the onboard flash on my M2.

shocolite
Joined Mar 2014
Ireland (when I do get home!)
Sep 13, 2016 15:47 as a reply to avigar's post |  #3

I use the G7X and find it very good with low light. In fact it is better than I expected. I don't miss the hot shoe.

Canon 80D & 700D; EF-S 10-18/18-55/18-135 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS USM, 50 F1.4, 100 F2.8L Macro, 16-35 F4L, 70-200 F4L IS; 100-400 L II, Speedlite 430EX II

dad3*3
THREAD ­ STARTER
746 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Sellersville, PA
Sep 16, 2016 11:34 |  #4

Thanks, I'm debating between the G7x MKII and the G1x MKII with the larger sensor and hot shoe.

I'm going to have to stop at a local camera store sometime to try each out.

Pictoraider
119 posts
Joined May 2016
Paris (FRANCE)
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Pictoraider.
Sep 16, 2016 13:42 |  #5

All ambiant lights are not appropriate for photography.
If you are a flash user, in case you need to shape your flash light, you know you can not achieve an effective modeling light with the built-in-flash, you absolutely need a hot-shoe for the job.

(By the way, the G1-X Mark II has a focal shutter located in his zoom lens which focal shutter allows flash synchronization at all shutter speeds with no "HSS function" flashes. This is great for outdoors fill-in flash on sunny day and/or in backlighted situations.)

Example of modeling light buil-in flash cannot bring to you when an external gunflash can...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Sep 17, 2016 16:20 |  #6

dad3*3 wrote in post #18130040 (external link)
Thanks, I'm debating between the G7x MKII and the G1x MKII with the larger sensor and hot shoe.

I'm going to have to stop at a local camera store sometime to try each out.

Look at the G5X before you decide. It has a 1" sensor, 20.1MP, AND an Electric Viewfinder (EVF). The EVF was the key factor to me when I was looking at a new G Series camera.

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

mfturner
Joined Mar 2013
Longmont, CO
Sep 17, 2016 18:19 |  #7

+1 on the EVF winning us over on the G5x over the G7x, and the G1x was too large for what we wanted. If you can find them both in a store it might help you compare. Honestly though I'll never use my EX 550 on the G5x, it is way too big and the G1x may have been a better match for that old flash. I may eventually get a smaller flash for the G5x. It would handle a trigger just fine too.

Pictoraider
119 posts
Joined May 2016
Paris (FRANCE)
Sep 18, 2016 07:35 |  #8

JimAskew wrote in post #18131204 (external link)
Look at the G5X before you decide.

+1.
The G5X has a hot-shoe.

If you want to photograph yours parents, relatives and friends seated around a long dinner table with low existing ambient light, you will encounter big issue with buil-in-flash (cf picture A).
The hot-shoe is required for this kind of photo-souvenir. It's the only way to get (very few noisy !) pictures with mainly the same flash exposure for all guests, including for the person seated at the far end of the table (cf picture B made with an external gunflash, i.e. with an EOS 550 EX).
Because of the inverse square distance law concerning flash light decreasing from source to subjects.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

dad3*3
THREAD ­ STARTER
746 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Sellersville, PA
Sep 18, 2016 12:28 |  #9

Thanks for the replies. The reason I'm looking at this size camera is for those times I don't want to carry my 5DIII or my Oly m4/3rs system. Now of course I don't want to give up much IQ either and was thinking the G7x MKIIfor the megapixels or the G1x MKII for the larger sensor.

I've had a G11 for a few years and hardly ever use it because the image quality is below my m4/3 rds system. The G11 is fine for just snapshots that might end up on the net but, well you know how it goes, always looking for something better.

Pictoraider
119 posts
Joined May 2016
Paris (FRANCE)
Sep 18, 2016 13:53 |  #10

As time has passed by, you have nowadays opportunities to buy used G1-X Mark II camera and used Canon EVF-DC1 Electronic Viewfinder in good condition (with boxes), including two Canon genuine batteries and charger, for 400 USD or less...

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Sep 18, 2016 14:18 |  #11

I'm happy with the IQ of the G5X and the EVF let's me shoot as I do with my DSLR cameras.

HOSTED PHOTO

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

dad3*3
THREAD ­ STARTER
746 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Sellersville, PA
Sep 19, 2016 13:05 |  #12

Pictoraider wrote in post #18131952 (external link)
As time has passed by, you have nowadays opportunities to buy used G1-X Mark II camera and used Canon EVF-DC1 Electronic Viewfinder in good condition (with boxes), including two Canon genuine batteries and charger, for 400 USD or less...

Thanks, I've been looking for a nice condition Used example of the G1X MKII for a little while now. Haven't found one yet but will continue to look.

gug
Joined Oct 2011
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by gug.
Sep 21, 2016 05:06 |  #13

avigar wrote in post #18126924 (external link)
You probably won't require a flash that much indoors. The G7X M2 is very capable when taking pictures indoors in low or available light conditions. I've rarely used the onboard flash on my M2.

+1 & Digic 7 Processor

gug
Joined Oct 2011
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by gug. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 21, 2016 05:07 |  #14

shocolite wrote in post #18126933 (external link)
I use the G7X and find it very good with low light. In fact it is better than I expected. I don't miss the hot shoe.

+1 & Digic 7 Processor

sponsored links

3,354 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you miss the Hot Shoe on your G7x MKII?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.