Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 18 Sep 2016 (Sunday) 21:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Thinking about renting a 6D. Anything I should know?

repete7
Joined Nov 2010
Sep 18, 2016 21:10 |  #1

I normally shoot a crop sensor 70D, I'm thinking about going FF maybe next year when I have enough money put aside. Maybe a Canon 6d Mark II when they come out or a used 5D Mark III. I was thinking about renting a 6D with a 24-105 lens for a fall weekend camping trip just to see how I liked FF. I would mostly be shooting landscape and maybe some wildlife with my 100-400L. I noticed that the 6D has fewer focus points than the 70D and slower fps. If I'm not shooting sports, does it really matter? Is there anything else I should know?

Karen Flickr (external link)
Canon 6D2|Canon Eos-m|Canon ef-m 22|Samyang 14mm f/2.8|Canon 40 stm|Canon 50 f/1.8 stm|Canon FD 50mm macro|Canon Macro 100L|Canon 16-35 f/4L IS USM |Canon 24-105L IS USM II|Canon 70-300 IS II USM|Canon 100-400L|

sponsored links
gossamer88
"something else"
Joined Aug 2014
NYC
Sep 18, 2016 21:14 |  #2

Beware: once you go FF you never go back.

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 6s
flickr (external link)

01Ryan10
Joined Aug 2012
OC, California
Sep 19, 2016 15:17 |  #3

If priority is landscape, then I'd say 6D. The problem is when you say, "some wildlife". 6D's focus system is not great for moving subjects. The center point is really good, and that's about all. You'll be mad going from a 70D to a 6D focus system on moving objects.

Since your priority are landscapes, the 6D's center focus point is superb, even in the lowest of light situations. The 6D could open up a world of astro and night landscape photography for you.

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,216 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 19, 2016 15:32 |  #4

gossamer88 wrote in post #18132429 (external link)
Beware: once you go FF you never go back.

Gospel. I had a 70D and a 6D at the same time. Just sell the 70D now.

01Ryan10 wrote in post #18133366 (external link)
If priority is landscape, then I'd say 6D. The problem is when you say, "some wildlife". 6D's focus system is not great for moving subjects. The center point is really good, and that's about all. You'll be mad going from a 70D to a 6D focus system on moving objects.

Since your priority are landscapes, the 6D's center focus point is superb, even in the lowest of light situations. The 6D could open up a world of astro and night landscape photography for you.

The 6D's AF system is as good as the 70D for tracking moving objects, IF you can keep the one cross point on target. I can't. I bought a 1DIV for things that move. I am very happy with my 1DIV. Notice I didn't keep the 70D.

Tom

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by FarmerTed1971.
Sep 19, 2016 15:37 |  #5

Don't hesitate, you'll love it. And if you can keep the 70D you'll have an excellent duo of bodies for most situations.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

repete7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2010
Sep 19, 2016 16:45 |  #6

Thanks everyone! Wildlife I may see will be elk and deer, not birds, so big enough that I should be able to track. I will remember to use the center point. Hopefully by the time I have the cash, the rumored 6d Mark II will be out with improved AF.

Karen Flickr (external link)
Canon 6D2|Canon Eos-m|Canon ef-m 22|Samyang 14mm f/2.8|Canon 40 stm|Canon 50 f/1.8 stm|Canon FD 50mm macro|Canon Macro 100L|Canon 16-35 f/4L IS USM |Canon 24-105L IS USM II|Canon 70-300 IS II USM|Canon 100-400L|

tongard
Joined Apr 2008
Gloucestershire England
Sep 20, 2016 01:10 as a reply to repete7's post |  #7

Why not get 5d mk3 .how much do u think 6d mk2 is going to cost ?

Canon 6d, 7d2.
Canon 50 1.4, 28mm 2.8 is , 24-85, 24-105, 70-200 f4 is
Sigma 150-600

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
uk
Sep 20, 2016 02:07 |  #8

I nearly ran the same path and in the end just bit the bullet. The first file you go to process will make you realise the money you paid for the rental could have gone towards buying a new 6d. My advice is buy it now and don't wait for the mkii, theres always something new around the corner

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Sep 20, 2016 07:24 |  #9

01Ryan10 wrote in post #18133366 (external link)

More regurgitated nonsense once again. There are countless posts here showing just how 'poor' the 6D is for moving objects. Those that own the 6D know that the focus system bashing is simply diatribe.

Buy the camera and use it for whatever purpose you see fit; portraits, wildlife, sports, landscape. The only limitations that camera has are in the person holding it.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com ...282@N06/with/382034​70844/ (external link)

Nethawked
Joined Oct 2014
Virginia, USA
Sep 20, 2016 07:56 |  #10

The limitations to AF are well-known and documented, but this doesn't mean the 6D is an inferior camera. As stated above, if you can keep the center AF point tracking on a subject then AI-SERVO is an effective tool. For ONE SHOT, focus and recompose, an old habit from film days, is necessary.

The Canon 6D is a fine camera, just understand and know how (and when) to work around its limitations and it will serve you well.

eddieb1
707 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Sep 20, 2016 10:00 |  #11

saea501 wrote in post #18134066 (external link)
More regurgitated nonsense once again. There are countless posts here showing just how 'poor' the 6D is for moving objects. Those that own the 6D know that the focus system bashing is simply diatribe.

Buy the camera and use it for whatever purpose you see fit; portraits, wildlife, sports, landscape. The only limitations that camera has are in the person holding it.

Very well said. I am sooooooooo tired of hearing about the "poor 6D AF". It's a great camera. From what I figure, if you can't use the 6D AF, it's most likely you, and not the camera.

01Ryan10
Joined Aug 2012
OC, California
Sep 20, 2016 11:12 |  #12

saea501 wrote in post #18134066 (external link)

I'll disagree. I've read a lot of articles that prove the outer focus points are terrible. As I first stated though, center point is fantastic for moving subjects.

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

eddieb1
707 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Sep 20, 2016 12:10 |  #13

01Ryan10 wrote in post #18134304 (external link)
I'll disagree. I've read a lot of articles that prove the outer focus points are terrible. As I first stated though, center point is fantastic for moving subjects.

Again, someone who has never owned one, giving opinion with no first hand knowledge. Oh, but wait! If it's on the internet, it must be true!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by ksbal. 4 edits done in total.
Sep 20, 2016 13:31 as a reply to eddieb1's post |  #14

Is the AF on the 5D2 comparable to the 6D? because my experience with the 5D2 had me go with the 5D3.

NOTHING more frustrating for the camera to lock and click on an outer point, and find the file was off focus enough so only web size was acceptable. If you use the out points a bunch on the 70D, then you might find the AF on the 6D lacking.

And as to the comment on once you go full frame, you won't go back to crop... I think that was once true, when crop sensors were bad at higher iso's. They still don't equal FF but I use mine interchangeably ... an while I do like my 5D3, and it was better in a small indoor arena, the buffer limits have me frustrated compared to my 7D2. The 7D2 works much better in a bigger indoor arena with the same lens.

Horses for courses.. I can use either camera well in all my situations of shooting, but one does better for somethings, and the other, for other things.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

flowrider
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by flowrider. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 20, 2016 13:53 |  #15

I have a 6D. Static subjects with good light the outer points are okay. In bad light with little contrast forget it. Center point is terrific. AiServo is not bad unless the subject is coming at you at a high rate of speed but that may be asking too much of it. AiServo and outer points, I don't even bother.

I had a 5Dc as well. I miss the expansion points of the 5Dc for AiServo with the center point.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

sponsored links

3,878 views & 20 likes for this thread
Thinking about renting a 6D. Anything I should know?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.