Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Medium Format Digital Cameras and Backs
Thread started 22 Sep 2016 (Thursday) 11:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New to medium format!

Presha
Joined Oct 2010
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Presha.
Sep 22, 2016 11:35 |  #1

Hello Everyone! This is my 1st post to the thread as a medium format user! I gotta say, I am loving the setup!I recently purchased a p65, with a 35mm af, 50mm LS and a P1 DF+ body. any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! Here's a shot I took yesterday!

Henry

www.Preshaphotography.​com (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Fuji 617| Phase one 645 DF+| phase one p65+| 80mm 2.8 LS | 35mm AF

sponsored links
P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Mt. Carmel, TN
Sep 23, 2016 19:07 |  #2

Nice shot Henry.... You seem to have adapted QUICKLY........

You are going to love the colors that come out of a PHASE... No comparison to ANY other digital camera..

Mark

Too Much Camera Stuff......

Presha
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Sep 23, 2016 22:29 as a reply to P51Mstg's post |  #3

Thank you very much! I'm still getting used to the focusing system but I'm getting it!

Presha
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Sep 24, 2016 00:40 |  #4

Here's another one i've been working on!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ars21
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Seattle
Sep 24, 2016 01:09 |  #5

Great Shot, I just moved to full frame a few months back, cant imagine what a leap Medium format would be :)

Canon EOS Digital Rebel / EOS 300D / Kiss Digital, EOS 5D Mark II | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM |

Presha
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Sep 24, 2016 01:16 as a reply to ars21's post |  #6

Thank you! For me, the move from FF to MF was kinda nerve wrecking; my only complaint is that I should have done it sooner! ; the detail is incredible! Now I see there's a new IQ1 100 and i'm really looking forward to getting that one next!

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Moscow
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Kolor-Pikker. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 24, 2016 05:25 as a reply to Presha's post |  #7

Great images, you're really putting that hardware to use. It's just a shame that the MF section here is largely devoid of activity most of the time, seeing as this used to be a Canon-centric site for many years, and still kind of is in the minds of its visitors.

If you want more feedback, GetDPI and Luminous Landscape have two of the bigger, more active medium format forums around, do check them out.

ars21 wrote in post #18138507 (external link)
Great Shot, I just moved to full frame a few months back, cant imagine what a leap Medium format would be :)

About the same leap as going from APS-C to FF, however, CCD backs offer a very different experience to your typical DSLR both in use and in post. You can't shoot at high ISO, they're much slower, and you have no live view to set focus with, so it's a very deliberate form of photography.
CMOS systems are much more usable by modern standards, but you either have to "settle" with the 33x44mm 51MP sensor or lay down the big bucks for the 100MP model, although there's a slightly cheaper one out now.
While I use the term settle, seeing the release of the Hass X1D and Fuji GFX, it seems to be the way of the future for the large body of MFD going forward, with full 645 sensors being relegated to specialty applications.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Presha
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Sep 24, 2016 11:42 as a reply to Kolor-Pikker's post |  #8

Hey Kolor pikker! Thanks for the advice about the other forums, I'll be checking them out soon!

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Sep 24, 2016 11:52 |  #9

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #18138610 (external link)
Great images, you're really putting that hardware to use. It's just a shame that the MF section here is largely devoid of activity most of the time, seeing as this used to be a Canon-centric site for many years, and still kind of is in the minds of its visitors.

The cost of medium format equipment might have a lot to do with it. Not everyone here is rich or a professional photographer. Even those of us who are the latter cannot afford/justify spending that much money.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Moscow
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Kolor-Pikker.
Sep 26, 2016 13:09 as a reply to Alveric's post |  #10

That goes without saying, but even if there are say 20,000 people in the world shooting medium format digital, surely they all go somewhere to talk about this stuff right?

LuLa and GetDPI don't seem like MFD-centric forums at first glance, but they're the designated place for most of these discussions, seeing as the dealers of a number of MFD systems post there. Of course, if you own a Pentax or Leica, there are official forums that specialize in those brands too and are fairly active as well.

Make no mistake, there is a decent number of people shooting medium format, POTN just doesn't have the tradition of hosting these discussions outside of curiosity.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
Joined Dec 2013
Exeter, Devon
Sep 26, 2016 13:13 |  #11

I agree that Digital MF is VERY expensive however i currently have 2 MF film cameras (both cost me under £100).

Facebook (external link)
Sony @6000 | Sony 18-105 f4 G Series | Sony 16 f2.8 | Helios 44/m | Pentacon 135mm f2.8 | Yongnuo 560EX II | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera | Zenit EM 35mm camera |

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Sep 26, 2016 16:48 |  #12

I decided to bypass medium format and go straight to large format! Still need to add a lens, though. :(

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Having too much fun in the studio
Sep 27, 2016 10:51 |  #13

Alveric wrote in post #18141240 (external link)
I decided to bypass medium format and go straight to large format! Still need to add a lens, though. :(

Digital?

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Sep 28, 2016 01:26 as a reply to Foodguy's post |  #14

Heck, no!

Last time I checked there were still no digital backs for large format, only a scanner-like thingie that didn't really convince me.

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,657 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Tareq.
Sep 28, 2016 08:02 |  #15

Nice to see more members getting into MF even it is not much here, and i know the other sites for MF, i am a member there since a while, but the truth to be told, i feel myself there as poor, even with my 60mp i feel it is nothing compared to all newest latest 80/100mp members, and i posted some pics but sounds they keep talking about newest and latest gear more.

In the other hand, i am a member in 2 film dedicated forums so i can post if i have from my film cameras [MF and LF], and there i feel more like in same level even they shoot film since decades and i am just new, because they are not so much dedicated about latest and most expensive gear, i hate to be in forums where members trying to challenge who can post more from their latest gear and see who has a winner perfect performance gear, while i see less high quality artistic photos anywhere, really so pity and sad to see more expensive gear and less high quality photos, and pro photographers aren't wasting much time on forums so that we don't see their $$$ shots much around, and even i don't post photos from my 60mp MP because i feel/think it is worthless on the forums.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/external link
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

sponsored links

5,778 views & 25 likes for this thread
New to medium format!
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Medium Format Digital Cameras and Backs

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.