Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 21 Sep 2016 (Wednesday) 20:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Colorblind vs Photography

dhornick
639 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 21, 2016 20:22 |  #1

Is it possible to be colorblind and still be a good photographer? And I don't mean having to shoot black and whites.

Darrell
6D | 16-35mm f/4 L | 8-15mm Fisheye L | 24-105mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 100-400mm f/4.5 5.6L | Speedlights 430EX III, 600EX II RT & ST-E3-RT transmitter.
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
KeithS
237 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 21, 2016 21:10 |  #2

I don't see why not. It might just be from a different perspective.

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,800 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 21, 2016 21:18 |  #3

There is no shortage of colourblind photogs out there. Many commercially successful ones too.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by PineBomb. (2 edits in all)

Sep 21, 2016 21:30 |  #4

Great question, and I look forward to some informed input. I'm vaguely reminded of a regular member here with the same issue, but the name is escaping me. Hopefully someone with experience can speak with you. The short answer is yes. Temperature and tint with white balance may present challenges, but the same problem can frustrate people who aren't colorblind.

Aren't there different varieties of colorblindness with color shifts in one direction or another? If you have a specific kind, it might be relevant to the discussion.

[EDIT: I realize now that you may be asking the question in the abstract as you didn't specifically state it was your condition, so I shouldn't presume that you are colorblind.]

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,548 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined May 2011

Sep 22, 2016 03:43 |  #5

I'm colorblind. For that reason, I seldom make color adjustments when Post Processing unless my wife is looking at the monitor and giving input.

One of the pleasant surprises has been the 1D IV in this regard. It reproduces the colors as I am seeing them. I recall what the scene or bird, etc. looked like when I took the photograph, even if I don't know the exact color of things.

I try not to think about it too much. It sort of boggles the mind. I have a color deficiency as opposed to being red/green colorblind. I get greens, browns, tans mixed up as well as purples, blues, pinks and grays. An example: I know grass is green as long as it's getting enough water and sunshine and the outside temperatures are adequate. What I don't know is if what I see as green is what other people see. That's why I try not to think about it too much. ;)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,752 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Sep 22, 2016 04:25 |  #6

I too am colour blind, just slightly but enough to see the world in a different way.

That is what it comes down too. seeing the world you way and being proud enough to stand up and say yes this is my view.

and sometimes it pays to shoot in b&w.

:lol:

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

Butts
I coulda shoulda woulda
353 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 22, 2016 05:09 |  #7

As Award winning Surf Photographer Ray Collins has stated:-

"Colorblindness Is Just As Much A Strength As A Weakness"

"As far as being colorblind, Ray doesn’t allow himself to see it as a handicap. “Color is secondary to the lighting.” he explains. He’s right, too, “…you can’t have a photo without light.” Instead of seeing his colorblindness as downfall, Ray turned it into an advantage, compelling him to focus more on composition."

I've seen Ray evolve over time from his first foray into photography, to where he is now.
His images are compelling.

dhornick
THREAD ­ STARTER
639 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 22, 2016 07:13 |  #8

PineBomb wrote in post #18136122 (external link)
Great question, and I look forward to some informed input. I'm vaguely reminded of a regular member here with the same issue, but the name is escaping me. Hopefully someone with experience can speak with you. The short answer is yes. Temperature and tint with white balance may present challenges, but the same problem can frustrate people who aren't colorblind.

Aren't there different varieties of colorblindness with color shifts in one direction or another? If you have a specific kind, it might be relevant to the discussion.

[EDIT: I realize now that you may be asking the question in the abstract as you didn't specifically state it was your condition, so I shouldn't presume that you are colorblind.]

I am indeed colorblind and yes there are varying degrees, colors, shades, tints and hues we can or can not see. Colorblindness is like a finger print. No two colorblind people see colors the same.

I'm 56 so it's not like it just happened last week. I've lived this long and my saying is this... You can't miss what you never had.

The funny thing is, as much as taking the actual photograph, post processing is just as fun and interesting to me. I really look forward to my time spent in PS and Lightroom. I feel I do a really good job on processing images with one exception. I tend to try and stay away from skin tones. Those are very, very hard for me to do. Otherwise, everything else seems to turn out good.

Darrell
6D | 16-35mm f/4 L | 8-15mm Fisheye L | 24-105mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 100-400mm f/4.5 5.6L | Speedlights 430EX III, 600EX II RT & ST-E3-RT transmitter.
Flickr (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,417 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 22, 2016 11:10 |  #9

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18136344 (external link)
What I don't know is if what I see as green is what other people see.

Nobody knows that. Color blindness aside, your green might be my red, and we'd never find out. It's a classic question in philosophy.

I score close to normal on color-blindness tests, but I would really like to know what ultraviolet looks like!

An article I saw yesterday at cnn.com: The work of blind photographers (external link)

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,599 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by Colorblinded.

Sep 22, 2016 11:32 |  #10

I try my best.

I do a lot of black and white, because I love it, and for some things, it's less stressful :)

That said, I do not shy away from color work, I enjoy it too.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

Orogeny
961 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by Orogeny.

Sep 22, 2016 12:49 |  #11

I have a color deficiency that has been the source of much amusement by my family for years! I see colors, but not like my wife does (and yes, I check with her when I choose which shirt or tie to wear). Generally, I don't mess with colors in LR, I just trust that the camera got it right.

I have not always had this issue. It first came to light in college when I absolutely couldn't tell the difference between shades of yellow in a class I was taking. The professor had me go to the student health clinic to be checked and for the first time in my life, I couldn't see anything in those stupid circles with the colored dots.

All that is a bit irrelevant since I'm not a good photographer! ; )

Tim

There's someone in my head, but it's not me! - Roger Waters

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/orogeny/ (external link)

dhornick
THREAD ­ STARTER
639 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 22, 2016 12:59 |  #12

Orogeny wrote in post #18136806 (external link)
I have a color deficiency that has been the source of much amusement by my family for years! I see colors, but not like my wife does (and yes, I check with her when I choose which shirt or tie to wear). Generally, I don't mess with colors in LR, I just trust that the camera got it right.

I have not always had this issue. It first came to light in college when I absolutely couldn't tell the difference between shades of yellow in a class I was taking. The professor had me go to the student health clinic to be checked and for the first time in my life, I couldn't see anything in those stupid circles with the colored dots.

All that is a bit irrelevant since I'm not a good photographer! ; )

Tim

I don't think I've ever heard of a case when it just showed up. It's hereditary so I'm sure you had it since birth. I was 6 (50 yrs ago) when mine first came to light. I was in school and we were told to color the American Flag. I colored it wrong and was sent to the Principles office where I immediately received 10 smacks with the paddle for defacing the American Flag. My parents we're not happy.

Darrell
Flickr (external link)

Orogeny
961 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Sep 22, 2016 13:05 |  #13

dhornick wrote in post #18136823 (external link)
I don't think I've ever heard of a case when it just showed up. It's hereditary so I'm sure you had it since birth. I was 6 (50 yrs ago) when mine first came to light. I was in school and we were told to color the American Flag. I colored it wrong and was sent to the Principles office where I immediately received 10 smacks with the paddle for defacing the American Flag. My parents we're not happy.

I had no problem with the test when I was in high school (the last time I remember taking it before college).

Tim

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,599 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 22, 2016 13:54 |  #14

Orogeny wrote in post #18136832 (external link)
I had no problem with the test when I was in high school (the last time I remember taking it before college).

Tim

Interesting, that's unusual. Like dhornick, I'm not sure I've ever heard of that before.

I'll have to google that!

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

Orogeny
961 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Sep 22, 2016 15:36 |  #15

Colorblinded wrote in post #18136879 (external link)
Interesting, that's unusual. Like dhornick, I'm not sure I've ever heard of that before.

I'll have to google that!

It's good to be interesting!! ; )

Tim

sponsored links

2,521 views & 12 likes for this thread
Colorblind vs Photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.